The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RUK – Threatening Letters

Home Forums Horse Racing RUK – Threatening Letters

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    The Eye Of Sauron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Anyone else had a debt-collection style letter from RUK.

Out of the blue I got one today, saying that they had recently contacted me about a ‘failed subscription payment’ and that unless I pay up in 14 days, they are passing it to debt collectors FFS!

(a) I had the Setanta package £12 pm (inc RUK)
    (b) When Setanta went belly up, I did not renew my RUK sub
    (c) I got a letter from RUK 25th August telling me that my current subscription due to end on 1st September.
    (d) No one, but no one, has contacted me about a failed subscription payment at any time. The Setanta debits on my debit card ceased when they went under.
    (e) I received an unsolicited call from RUK during my dinner on Tuesday asking why I’d cancelled my sub. I told them that my sub was with Setanta and that £20 was too much to pay.

Is this the way that RUK treat their ex and potential customers? Bloody disgraceful.

Of course, I haven’t been able to get to the bottom of it as the 0844 number given is on permanent hold.

Absolutely seething.

Hon Kerr
    • Total Posts 36

Can you make a copy of sed letter. Either fotograph or scan it. Upload it to a file share site or email me a copy and we can exact sum revenge for u.

All the best

Honker

PS. Blank out ur personal info with a bit of paper

:P

The Eye Of Sauron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Will do- cheers.

Will scan both letters in at work tomorrow, duly redacted as to the "Dear Mr. Eye-of-Sauron" bit and let you have it.

Thanks again.

Problem when they do something like this, is that they don’t really realise that they have a pretty small constituency, many of whose members communicate as on here.

A bit like the old adage that goes along the lines of- if you have a good restaurant meal, on average, you tell 3 people. If you have a bad restaurant meal, on average you tell 7 people.

Hon Kerr
    • Total Posts 36

I got charged annual by Setanta and have bin asked to provide proof that I paid Setanta. I was also stuck paying £200 pa. for 4 years.

:lol:

The Eye Of Sauron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Now got through to the 0844 line after 15 minutes in queue.

Executive Summary

– Profuse apologies from RUK-

Details:

Me:

"Just had a letter about a failed subscription payment. Why? I was with Setanta and didn’t renew

"

[Gave him my account number and he checks his system]

Nice guy at the other end :

"It’s just an automated letter- sorry it looks quite threatening."

Me:

"I’ll say, it threatens me with debt collectors and damage to my credit rating, something I value and guard very highly.

"

NGAOE

"It’s just an automated letter, I’m very sorry. I’ll put a stop on it now. You won’t receive any more letters.

"

There we are- letter on asbestos writing paper to Watchdog averted, but still leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

You should phone them back and get a letter of retraction or they can still come after you for the money, because legally they have contacted you .. it happened to me years ago and I had to go to court to clear my name.

Hon Kerr
    • Total Posts 36

Would you like to upload a copy of the offending letter for posterity. Otherwise it looks like you have accepted a forced apology and they must be laughing at how easy that was to wriggle out of!

As the last post says they may well already have put you on a list of non payers as the Sky Platform is almost a public utility.

Are u sure they haven’t bought you off with a sweetener? Free Nick Luck for a year! :lol:

TheBluesBrother
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1079

I had the Setanta package with Virgin Media and it is now been changed too ESPN, no RUK but at least I get to watch the Baseball.
    The upside to this is that you don’t have to listen to Steve Mellish talking at a hundred miles an hour. 8)

The Eye Of Sauron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Here we go. Two letters, one telling me my sub ended on 1st Sept, the other one threatening debt collectors and my credit rating being adversely affected.

OK, I’ve had an apology, but if this is the sort of first letter that they send if someone (unlike me) has missed a payment, I do wonder about their customer service. Often, a payment can be missed because a debit or credit card has expired.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.ph … 28993&da=y

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.ph … 28992&da=y

The letter dated 16th Sept actually arrived yesterday, despite its date- thus prompting my strop, and this thread.

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

I wouldn’t worry overmuch as their letter of 25 August makes it clear that you have no contract with them but have the option to enter into one with effect from 1 September.

If you really want to put something on record then try this for size:

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your letters dated 25 August and 16 September. My subscription (entered into with Setanta) expired on 1 September and was not renewed. There is no contract between us and any attempt by you to recover any sums from me will be vigorously defended.

Please treat this letter as notice of my intention to issue a claim against you for damages if you take any action which adversely affects my credit rating or ability to obtain credit.

Yours faithfully etc.

The Eye Of Sauron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Cheers Tuffers- not concerned at all on legal grounds, as they would have fewer legs to stand on than Douglas Bader, but I do worry about how easily an inefficiently-run company can blot your credit-rating copybook due to a crass error, and you are then obliged to sort it.

No, I’m not out of pocket-beyond 35-40 mins on hold on an 0844 number last night.

I was considering doing the £9.99 ‘watch it on PC’ job but don’t think I’ll bother now, and would encourage no-one else to do so.

Hon Kerr
    • Total Posts 36

Thanks for posting them up. What I find amazing is that I contacted them stating that I had paid Setanta £200 upfront from last March. They told me that they had no record of this and that I ahd to rrovide evidence that I had paid Setanta.

They send you a letter dropping hints that you owe them money and are contracted to them. Now either they have the information and are trying to con people or they don’t have the info! If they don’t have the subscriber database then sending out threatening letters as a marketing ploy is so dishonest and underhand.

Luckily for us they have employed Seb Vance as a PR and he will no doubt be along shortly to confirm whether or not they have the Setanta Subscriber database?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon Seb :lol:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.