The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RSA Chase 2014

Home Forums Archive Topics RSA Chase 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

The Irish have won four of the last five renewals and every time the horse was either first or second in the Moriarty so Sunday’s race is an important trial. On the other hand, Morning Assembly and I presume Ballycasey are not running so perhaps the race won’t tell us as much as usual regarding the RSA. I’m hoping Champagne Fever and Don Cossack make Carlingford Lough and Foxrock look slow so the prices on he latter pair for the RSA and National Hunt Chase respectively go on the drift. Foxrock in particular who looks sure to be outpaced if he takes his chance, but he’s a powerful stayer and four miles should bring him into his element.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Ballycasey, Carlingford Lough and Don Cossack make ip a three runner field for the Moriarty :shock:

Presumably Champagne Fever goes two miles next weekend?

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Ballycasey, Carlingford Lough and Don Cossack make ip a three runner field for the Moriarty :shock:

Presumably Champagne Fever goes two miles next weekend?

Disappointing turnout, but three high class runners should make it a very interesting race. Hopefully the Don will show us all the horse that he promised to be as a bumper and then all roads to the RSA and Gold Cup 2015 :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I might put Ballycasey in a couple of antepost bets before Sunday in case he wins impressively but he could be a hype horse and winners of this have normally had three runs over fences.
    A couple of others i’d be interested in but they’ve been off the track since late autumn / early winter.

Also, just like last year, i’m finding the RSA Chase a bit…meh…which is odd because i love the race and often find the winner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

I think a bet on both Ballycasey at 10s and Don Cossack at 14s for the RSA in advance of sunday is in order. A good performance from both could see them cut significantly after the race to leave in a healthy position. Can’t see Carlingford beating the pair over 2m5f in testing conditions.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Mendip Express looked good in his last two wins, idled a little in front in his most recent win, get the impression he’ll relish having a horse along-side him to have a battle with. Anyone else think he looks good value at 20/1? Racing tomorrow at Newbury against Smad Place, Sam Winner and the big outsider Danners.

Don Cossack is the other one I like, reminds me of Boston Bob last year!

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Mendip Express looked good in his last two wins, idled a little in front in his most recent win, get the impression he’ll relish having a horse along-side him to have a battle with. Anyone else think he looks good value at 20/1? Racing tomorrow at Newbury against Smad Place, Sam Winner and the big outsider Danners.

Harry Fry was ‘interviewed’ by Bob Cooper earlier this week at Doncaster. That interview would have led you to believe that it was about 1/10 Mendip Express wouldn’t run at Newbury and was heading straight for the National Hunt Chase. It would be interesting to know what has happened in the last two days to reverse what seemed a clear plan. The vast majority of ante-post money will be for the ‘expected’ target so those backers will not be overly disappointed if Newbury is called off.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Very interesting thanks Stilvi, will probably just do a Don Cossack/Bobs Worth Cheltenham double then before the Gigginstown horse runs tomorrow.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Harry Fry was ‘interviewed’ by Bob Cooper earlier this week at Doncaster. That interview would have led you to believe that it was about 1/10 Mendip Express wouldn’t run at Newbury and was heading straight for the National Hunt Chase. It would be interesting to know what has happened in the last two days to reverse what seemed a clear plan. The vast majority of ante-post money will be for the ‘expected’ target so those backers will not be overly disappointed if Newbury is called off.

Whoever made the decision to chase the dollar couldn’t have got it more wrong. Hopefully, it hasn’t completely jeopardised his Festival chances but clearly they look a lot less bright than before today’s race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Very surprised to see Mendip Express run today. They were terrible conditions at Cheltenham – not just the going – and even though he won, i think you need to give a horse more than 5 weeks. Alfie Spinner and De La Bech have both since been pulled up.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Very surprised to see Mendip Express run today. They were terrible conditions at Cheltenham – not just the going – and even though he won, i think you need to give a horse more than 5 weeks. Alfie Spinner and De La Bech have both since been pulled up.

Certainly something to bear in mind. You could argue that every horse to reappear from the opening novice hurdle has underperformed although four more experienced horses who also ran on the same card have subsequently won decent prizes.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I thought Smad Place very impressive. Looks a natural fencer with the necessary class & have backed at 8s

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Smad Place impressive, just think he will come up against one or two too many.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I think it just about sums up this year’s dismal crop (last year’s wasn’t a heap better) that some people think Carlingford Lough is going to win this.

This is a horse who has already run 14 times over fences and won just twice.

Await stats books being thrown out the window.

Participant
    • Total Posts 404

I think it just about sums up this year’s dismal crop (last year’s wasn’t a heap better) that some people think Carlingford Lough is going to win this.

Have to agree,if CL manages to win it i’ll be very disappointed. But i thought Bright New Dawn was the horse for this at the start of the year-that’s not looking too good and then i expected Don Cossack to put down a marker yesterday and he disappointed so my opinions not looking great as regards this race :lol:

Anyone know if Elliott gave an interview after yesterdays race? I’d be interested if he said he left plenty to work on, i remember his last RSA horse Jessies dream getting beat at a short price in a 3 horse race in his last race before finishing second in the 2011 RSA where he probably should’ve won.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I’d say you could throw his runs before the Galway Plate out the window anyway. He seems to have ‘discovered some form’ from that run on. I’m in the Ballycasey camp but I’d rate Carlingford Lough a bigger danger than most. It doesn’t look a great year as you say and I could see Ballycasey doing a Cooldine.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Have to agree,if CL manages to win it i’ll be very disappointed. But i thought Bright New Dawn was the horse for this at the start of the year-that’s not looking too good and then i expected Don Cossack to put down a marker yesterday and he disappointed so my opinions not looking great as regards this race :lol:

You are not the only who has been very disappointed with Bright New Dawn. I thought it was ominous that they reached for the headgear last time and he duly finished very tamely. It was almost as if Cooper couldn’t steer him in the closing stages. The only positives I can see going forward are that he was trying to give plenty of weight to a horse who could shake them all up in the JLT and for me he has always moved like a horse who would be significantly better on good ground. Problem is when are we going to see any of that?

I don’t think Gigginstown have much else in the staying novice division so there might still be a chance that they will travel both Don Cossack and Bright New Dawn.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.