The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RSA Chase 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics RSA Chase 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 86 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Are you kidding me

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Are you kidding me, Ruby what a muppet for not choosing Boston Bob

Townsend what an amateur not betting on him again

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

And that’s why Townend hasn’t ridden a chase winner at Cheltenham in 20 attempts.

What was he doing at that last flight ?

I agree, Townend made a serious error Mark.
    Appeared to take his hand off the reins to slap the horse down the neck with his whip; despite hanging towards the rail. Horse must’ve thought he wanted to go through the rails! :?

That’s exactly how I saw it.
    From the multitude of "experts" on C4, RUK & 5 Live, does anyone know if any of them actually queried the ride?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Not sure if anybody queried the ride, but some knowing looks were exchanged between Willie Mullins and Lydia Hislop when he was asked about Boston Bob after the Champion Bumper.

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

Unioniste’s form amounted to very little and I find it hard to believe that Walsh actually had a choice of mounts, was it a case of the best rides being passed around the regular jocks to keep them happy ?.

• Total Posts 149

Don’t know why W Mullins wasn’t the jockey for Boston Bob if R Walsh preferred Unioniste. Look at the ride he gave Back in Focus. Total horseman. Too late for recriminations now. It’s just a shame because a horse can take a long time to get over a fall at the end of a race

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

The pace was not slow. The fact Boston Bob could sweep past the field coming to the last suggests the pace was strong.

I don’t think the jockey did much wrong, the horse just didn’t take off at the final fence.

I was more surprised that the pundits on telly questioned who would have won the race if he’d stood up?!

There would have been no other winner. Miserable if you backed the beast, I’d agree on that:)

I can’t see how Back in Focus was a certainty for this based on him needing every inch of the 4 miles in the earlier race.

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Unioniste’s form amounted to very little and I find it hard to believe that Walsh actually had a choice of mounts, was it a case of the best rides being passed around the regular jocks to keep them happy ?.

When Star De Mohaison won as a 5 yr old it received 7lbs from the older horse and the race was on quick spring ground. This was a 5yr old who’d never gone this far – seemingly tiring over 3 miles on a flat track last time – running on soft / yielding ground.

Thought Townend let the excitement get to him. Used the whip too many times on the horse approaching the fence ( even if onlt trying to keep the horse alert ) and was never settled for the jump and the horse seemed confused. The wing on that fence has put a few horses off.

The winner would have pushed him all the way but i feel Boston Bob would have outstayed him.

And for connections, a place is better than being on the deck

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

I was more surprised that the pundits on telly questioned who would have won the race if he’d stood up?!

There would have been no other winner. Miserable if you backed the beast, I’d agree on that:)

Zip

Don’t get me wrong – I did Boston Bob at what I thought was a great price of 11-2 so was as gutted as anyone to see him capsize, but I did think it was the fall of a horse that was going flat out and tiring, and the way that Lord Windermere came up the hill I think he would have won anyway.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Interestingly, Grey Dolphin, this is what winning jockey Russell said:

"I’ve only ridden him once at home, so all the credit goes to Jim Culloty, who has instilled confidence in him.

"I had loads of horse left under me and he just idled in front.

"I was almost upsides Boston Bob when he fell and I’m pretty sure I’d have got past him.

"The race panned out fine but I took a false step on the road and then got stuck behind Tom Scudamore (on Goulanes) a bit longer than I wanted.

(Source: sportinglife.com)

• Total Posts 59

yup, had second leg of my double on Boston bob, and even though he is known to stay well looked like they were closing him down as they were going to the last. But still, would have liked him to give me a run for my money though up that hill as maybe he had a bit left to give as well.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

I backed boston bob and felt the jockey gave him a poor ride. I said to my mate it was a pity that ruby decided to ride that grey horse, as if he had ridden bob he wouldn’t have panicked around the home turn and made this huge move. he would have waited and just hauled them in up the hill.

I agree that even if he hadn’t fallen at the last he might well have got beat. the other two were gaining rapidly at that point. Whether he was tired I couldn’t say for sure, but he certainly didn’t enjoy being in front that long..

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Good win for Culloty – was on Goulanes myself but never mind, eh?

Unlucky for Boston Bob – looked well, but jumping is the name of the game.

Back In Focus would have pissed that, IMHO.

Really mate ?

Needed every yard of the 4 miler earlier in the day.

Lee

Unless he’s given a really soft lead, that’s how he runs. Does what needs to be done. Best 3m+novice out there.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Leaving the fact that Townend didn’t help the horse at the last…

Some have very short memories, stating things along the lines of never backing Townend again. It wasn’t long ago he was hailed for his ride on the same horse at Leopardstown. As for having PW Mullins ahead of Townend, never for me, good jockey that Mullins is.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Boston Bob

is definitely on my my shortlist. I thought he ran flat at the Festival this year and did remarkably well to get as close as he did. Willie Mullin’s

Champagne Fever

is another I’m keen to see sent straight over fences, I think he has plenty of scope for the job and see him as more of a stayer than a 2 miler. Of course the Jewson may be on the agenda for one or both of these come March, who knows. A dark horse for the race imo is

Lyreen Legend

. He’s always looked like more of a chaser to me and all of his sire Saint Des Saints stock improve with age. Given a fence and a trip I reckon he’ll do well in top company next season.

Posted this on July 3rd.

I was in dreamland as Tony O’Hehir called the 1-2 coming to the last – doesn’t take a long for things to change in this game :(

Viewing 15 posts - 86 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.