The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RSA Chase 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics RSA Chase 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Boston Bob

declared to run at Navan on Sunday.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Boston Bob

declared to run at Navan on Sunday.

Finally

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Just to update above Fingal Bay out for the season and Buckers Bridge subsequently ran as if that debut had left a serious mark. Hopefully, they can get him back but very doubtful he will be pulling up any trees in the near future.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

I have taken some 25s about Highland Lodge for this, battle hardened and the trainer is getting better every year

• Total Posts 57

Has anyone heard anything about Hadrian’s Approach? Fancy him to perhaps reverse the form with Dynaste if he lines up.

nigelkeeling
    • Total Posts 1

I have taken some 25s about Highland Lodge for this, battle hardened and the trainer is getting better every year

He’s good, but too slow to win RSA. It’s looking a weak race this year so he could be placed. Wouldn’t be surprised if he turned up in the four mile race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Has anyone heard anything about Hadrian’s Approach? Fancy him to perhaps reverse the form with Dynaste if he lines up.

If it were mine it would be in the 4 miler. High Chapparal has been underwhelming for jumps horses so far, but this is out of a Roselier mare so is bred to stay all day – runs that way too.

Don’t think it stands a chance in the RSA

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

The participation of Back In Focus at Cheltenham will depend on underfoot conditions, according to Graham Wylie. Article taken from irishracing.com:

Owner Graham Wylie insists any future plans for exciting novice chaser Back In Focus will be completely dictated by ground conditions.
    The Willie Mullins-trained eight-year-old stretched his unbeaten record over fences to three with a dour staying performance in the Topaz Novice Chase at Leopardstown over the Festive period, getting up to beat stable companion Aupcharlie close home.

Wylie hopes the future is bright for the bold-jumping chestnut but having missed over a year of action with a leg injury, he will not be risked on a fast surface.

"He won a novice hurdle on his first run for us in very soft ground at Haydock, when he was trained by Howard (Johnson), and then we purposely missed Cheltenham because we didn’t want him coming down that hill on fast ground," said Wylie.

"We decided to wait until Aintree, but he got the leg injury and was out for over a year afterwards.

"Willie has done a great job bringing him back and we want to look after him now, giving him time between his races.

"He’ll be entered for Cheltenham and we’ll decide if the ground is suitable closer to the time. Ruby (Walsh, jockey) said the ground at Leopardstown was as fast as he’d like.

"He is a very good jumper and he stays well, but we don’t want to push him too hard as we want more than just one season out of him.

"He’s having a bit of a break now as he had quite a tough race last time. We want him to have a long career rather than a short one."

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

The participation of Back In Focus at Cheltenham will depend on underfoot conditions, according to Graham Wylie. Article taken from irishracing.com:

Owner Graham Wylie insists any future plans for exciting novice chaser Back In Focus will be completely dictated by ground conditions.
    The Willie Mullins-trained eight-year-old stretched his unbeaten record over fences to three with a dour staying performance in the Topaz Novice Chase at Leopardstown over the Festive period, getting up to beat stable companion Aupcharlie close home.

Wylie hopes the future is bright for the bold-jumping chestnut but having missed over a year of action with a leg injury, he will not be risked on a fast surface.

"He won a novice hurdle on his first run for us in very soft ground at Haydock, when he was trained by Howard (Johnson), and then we purposely missed Cheltenham because we didn’t want him coming down that hill on fast ground," said Wylie.

"We decided to wait until Aintree, but he got the leg injury and was out for over a year afterwards.

"Willie has done a great job bringing him back and we want to look after him now, giving him time between his races.

"He’ll be entered for Cheltenham and we’ll decide if the ground is suitable closer to the time. Ruby (Walsh, jockey) said the ground at Leopardstown was as fast as he’d like.

"He is a very good jumper and he stays well, but we don’t want to push him too hard as we want more than just one season out of him.

"He’s having a bit of a break now as he had quite a tough race last time. We want him to have a long career rather than a short one."

I think that only confirms the comments I made earlier. Seems unlikely to run at all but if he does the National Hunt Chase would seem the logical race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Boston Bob entered for a two and a half mile novice chase at Thurles on Thursday. #RSAWinner

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Boston Bob entered for a two and a half mile novice chase at Thurles on Thursday. #RSAWinner

After his laboured effort in the AB last year, I cannot see BB having the pace to win if Dynaste turns up in top form. Surely BB needs soft to show his best which he’s unlikely to get in March?

I’d have Rocky Creek above Boston.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

After his laboured effort in the AB last year, I cannot see BB having the pace to win if Dynaste turns up in top form. Surely BB needs soft to show his best which he’s unlikely to get in March?

Glad I’m not the only one! Plenty on this forum are very sweet on BB for this, I’m not convinced, he didn’t seem all that happy at Cheltenham last year and his first attempt at fencing wasn’t as good as connections might have been hoping for plus the form has already taken a knock with You Must Know Me running poorly since, plus as you say he’s unlikely to get ‘his ground’.

Rocky Creek is a horse of massive potential imo and looks to be improving with each run. An interview with Nicholls a year or so ago sticks in my mind where he was unusually complimentry about this horse. Loved the way he travels and jumps and think this race could be tailored made for him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Glad I’m not the only one! Plenty on this forum are very sweet on BB for this, I’m not convinced, he didn’t seem all that happy at Cheltenham last year and his first attempt at fencing wasn’t as good as connections might have been hoping for plus the form has already taken a knock with You Must Know Me running poorly since, plus as you say he’s unlikely to get ‘his ground’.

After he won at Leopardstown last year connections said he’d be a better horse on better ground. He ran a very similar race to Hurricane Fly at last year’s Festival imo, he had to be niggled a long way from home and made very hard work of making up the ground. I don’t think that was the real Boston Bob. He jumped like a buck on his sole chase start, although made hard work of holding off the runner up. You Must Know Me could yet be a very smart horse, pulled up lame behind Vesper Bell. Hopefully he’ll run this Thursday at Thurles, the vibes from the stable seem good once again.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

"After he won at Leopardstown last year connections said he’d be a better horse on better ground. He ran a very similar race to Hurricane Fly at last year’s Festival imo, he had to be niggled a long way from home and made very hard work of making up the ground. I don’t think that was the real Boston Bob. He jumped like a buck on his sole chase start, although made hard work of holding off the runner up. You Must Know Me could yet be a very smart horse, pulled up lame behind Vesper Bell. Hopefully he’ll run this Thursday at Thurles, the vibes from the stable seem good once again".

I wouldn’t disagree with any of the above, however at this stage BB remains firmly in my Talking horses book.

Dynaste is definately the one that doesn’t appear to have anything to prove, but the history of this race suggests he’ll get beat, therefore Rocky Creek at this stage looks to have the best credentials and is a fair price based on the form he’s achieved.

Participant
    • Total Posts 89

Better performance from Boston Bob yesterday staying on strongly to snatch the race one the line. Thought his jumping was good and he should cope with the Cheltenham fences going a faster pace. Can’t believe Willie Mullins is thinking about the Jewson as all the horse appears to do is stay. Come on Willie you know the RSA is the right race for him! :D

Crusmissile
    • Total Posts 13

Does anyone else think Rocky Creek has a massive chance in this. Travels superbly and jumps for fun, im a firm believer and already have this fellow backed @25s on the nose. We all know favourites have a terrible record in this race, and i firmly believe the price on dynaste is way to short, I can see alot of Dynaste fans being very dissapointed come RSA day.

Anyone eles a believer in Rocky Creek?!?
    :)

CSkinner
    • Total Posts 6

Does anyone else think Rocky Creek has a massive chance in this. Travels superbly and jumps for fun, im a firm believer and already have this fellow backed @25s on the nose. We all know favourites have a terrible record in this race, and i firmly believe the price on dynaste is way to short, I can see alot of Dynaste fans being very dissapointed come RSA day.

Anyone eles a believer in Rocky Creek?!?
    :)

Yes I’m with you, I’m on Boston Bob at 10s and Rocky Creek at 25s. I’m not 100% Rocky Creek will turn up at Cheltenham and might go Aintree instead but I believe next year he’ll be at the head of the Gold Cup market.

Boston Bob’s performance satisfying at the weekend, asking for more and a faster pace.

Looking to take Dynaste on at the prices.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.