The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Robert Sangster – horsetrader

Home Forums Horse Racing Robert Sangster – horsetrader

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

I’ve just finished reading "Horsetrader – and the rise and fall of the sport of kings". A thoroughly fantastic read, well written and conveys extremely well the feelings of excitement associated with a rapidly growing market, and the devestation and consequences with the downfall in market prices.

This book charts Robert Sangsters life in the horseracing business, focusing on his involvement with John Magnier and Vincent O Brien, and the introduction of the Mahktoum’s (sp?) from Dubai, Prince Abdullah and the Niarchos Family. It features most if not all of the wonderful horses from 1970 – 1992, such as the Minstrel, Affirmed, Alleged, Golden Fleece, Storm Bird, Nijinsky and of course, the stallion who they placed their faith in, Northern Dancer.

This book more or less ends after the 1992 season, with Rodrigo de Tiano winning the champion stakes.

You could maybe say I developed my interest in horse racing just after 2002, and therefore that leaves around 10 years between the end of this book and where I have experienced races, etc myself.

I would love to know<br>- What happened to Robert Sangster/Chapple-Hyam at Manton? More success?<br>- What followed for John Magnier – when did he begin racing horses in his own colours, the famed dark blue silks? And when and how did the shifty Michael Tabor enter the scene?<br>- Did the Magnier/Sangster relationship continue? To what extent? Did Sangster have as much success from the coolmore stallions as Magnier?<br>- and other significant events from 92 – 2002.

I would really appreciate some info or opinions, etc.

Many thanks in advance,<br>Andrew

Luis Martin
    • Total Posts 15

RDTriano was sold to Japan for 6.2m and Robert  left his association with Coolmore the following year, although kept his 12 shares in Swells.<br>Sangster/Hyan had good moments at Manton with horses like Balanchine, Cape verdi, Turtle island, Colonel collins, Revoque, Victory note, Carmine lake, City honours, Commander collins, Saintly speech, Shining hour,  Oakmead, Stonehatch, State performer, General monash, Close conflict, Court of honour , Romanov, etc…Some of them were sold as Robert felt that the prize money in England was very poor. He also sold Carnegie to Sheik Mo. as a yearling for $1.6m<br>In 1999 Hyan was sacked by Sangster and moved to HK to take charge of Biancone´s yard.<br>Gosden moved to Manton and trained the likes of Ocean silk, Echoes in eternity, Percussionist and Playful act for Robert.

Tabor was on holidays in Barbados when JP McManus introduced him to Magnier / OByrne.<br>OByrne bought two yearlings for a client who walked out of the deal and he offered them to Tabor, Grandinare and Prince Arthur who were nice horses and both ran well. PA was a G1 winner in Italy.<br>Tabor instructed O´Byrne to buy a few more horses and they bought Thunder gulch for $475.000 as a 2 years old.Tabor sold part of Tg to Coolmore as a stallion and they become partners in many others horses afterwards.<br>

(Edited by Luis Martin at 1:15 am on Aug. 5, 2006)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.