The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Rishi Pershad – A Negative for TV

Home Forums Horse Racing Rishi Pershad – A Negative for TV

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Tanya is, I understand, a production secretary so I can see why she’s there but she is still awkward, after all these years, in front of the camera.

If this is correct then she should be typing up the format of the show, not presenting it :wink:

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

Say what you like about John McCririck but he was a consummate professional in front of the camera – whether his style appealed to you or not.

I have to disagree, Hs. He wasn’t the consummate professional. He brought his own political extremism and misogyny to the programme and a consummate professional wouldn’t do that. He used the show as his own personal soapbox so regardless of his knowledge of the betting scene and racing he wasn’t right. His style, especially his sartorial statements, raised other issues which did racing no favours.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Wonder if Rishi think’s up all the inane questions himself?

Henry Candy’s face and reply when asked by Rishi how delighted was he for Dane O’Neill, after Limato had just been beaten at Royal Ascot lol. It reminded of the “I’m so happy” clip of Basil in Fawlty Towers.

Well worth a view on C4 OD if you’ve not seen it already.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Rishi ( while not a fan ) is ultra professional compared with Tanya and Tom Lee.

The programme is much less entertaining than it once was , although Nick Luck
    is a consummate professional and anchorman.

It was nice to see Alistair Down make an appearance , although he did
    look and sound slightly sozzled .

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3139

Was dismayed when he was picked to be part of the revamped C4 line up as I had already had a bellyful of him presenting on RUK. Whilst he is professional, his ability to always ask the most inane cringe worthy questions is almost unmatched by any other presenter (baring Robert Cooper on ATR) and his appearance automatically has me reaching for the mute button.

No doubt that he ticks a certain box in representing a particular demographic and is a very personable individual but you need to be bringing much more than that to the table and he just doesn’t – highly unlikely to be dropped for any reason short of IMG Sports Media losing the contract when it comes up for renewal again next year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Am sick to death of threads like this. It just couldn’t be that a non-white might have got his job for being (thought) good at it, could it? Rishi is not my favourite, but is good at what he does. He’s a presenter with an interest in horse racing; not a form expert or tipster. Perad asks some excellent questions, some good, some reasonable and some bad questions and makes comments likewise. Where as this thread has some jealous and/or neo racist comments. :negative:

EDIT: …And “neo” is (with some) being very, very generous imo! :-(
    One good thing about Rishi being on there is some of you lot aren’t.

Value Is Everything
    pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 788

Im not sure Rishi should be singled out as poor. He was very poor on the BBC but seems to have improved a bit and is ok when involved in discussions, straightforward presenting though not as an interviewer. He was certainly in the right place for McCoys bombshell though. I think there is some good quality in the team. Graham Cunningham, Nick Luck and Jim McGrath are very good although their roles probably need fine tuning. Rishi and Tanya are rather less good but do at least seem friendly and welcoming. Clare Balding is copping a load of flak elsewhere. I hope she does not reappear on the racing

Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Dont get your knickers in a twist Ginger or I will call you a Ginger Tosser.lol. Persad is truly an awful presenter,he comes out with pat phrases and kringeworthy comments and really inane questions. Good old Henry (Cecil) hated him,remember Henrys comments in a terse way to him with his head to oneside,when he asked whether he thought Frankel was a good horse,”Well what do you think” and he repeated it to the dumb twit Persad who said nothing. If Henry hated him then it`s good enough for me. Both him and Balding,calling a loose horse terrifying, should be long gone from the racing scene.
    Neither will be missed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1951

Wonder if Rishi think’s up all the inane questions himself?

Henry Candy’s face and reply when asked by Rishi how delighted was he for Dane O’Neill, after Limato had just been beaten at Royal Ascot lol. It reminded of the “I’m so happy” clip of Basil in Fawlty Towers.

Well worth a view on C4 OD if you’ve not seen it already.

So True.

I do get a bit annoyed when anyone gets the name of a horse wrong and Tanya is the worst for this. I don’t mean the ones that some people pronounce differently to others, I mean basic names, like when Claire Balding kept calling Society Rock ‘Soviet Rock’. It’s only a small gripe though.

To be fair, a lot of these Saturday’s are so full on with racing that you don’t see much of the presenters anyway with another race coming up within 10 minutes of the last one. It doesn’t quite work for me when its just one meeting they are showing e.g. Derby day or Goodwood festival.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Mmm, the names thing is so frustrating. I am a huge fan of Simon Holt, but even he is increasingly guilty – repeatedly naming Foreman ‘Foreland’ in Kauto Star tributes in print and on TV.

I like Rishi and Tanya though. Professionalism is certainly not something you can crab Tanya for if you’ve seen her meticulous pre-broadcast preparations first hand. Her delivery might be a little clumsy, but I prefer her to Big Mac, Tom Lee, Statto, John Parrott or anyone else I’ve seen do the betting updates.

I think Rishi is the victim of his job. In every sport, there seems to be some oaf sticking a mic under the nose of the winner. The winner is usually too pumped to speak and the interviewer usually isn’t quick-witted enough to come up with a worthwhile question. I don’t see what Rishi could do to impress anyone.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 478

I’ll leave the condescending and slightly racist sounding stuff to others but I also don’t think Rishi is anchor material for a big day’s racing but I dont think bringing his ethnicity into it is is anyway helpful or indeed acceptable.

Isn’t giving someone a job because of their ethnicity racist? Pointing out that that may be the case isn’t racist. It may be a misinformed and / or ignorant view, possibly, but it’s nothing more than that.

Personally I don’t mind Rishi Persad. There are better presenters out there but there are some that are a damn sight worse as well. Mick Fitzgerald for one is absolutely awful yet features constantly. Tom Lee has all the charisma of a table leg. Emma Spencer is eye candy nothing more. Tanya is totally unnatural in front of the camera.

Channel 4 has bigger problems than Rishi Persad.

As Gingertipster has said it is inherently racist to assume that Rishi Persad ( or anyone else) could only have got their job because of their ethnicity…….is that your assumption about anybody non white who appears on television???

As for juvenile references early in the thread about coffee creams etc etc……..utterly shameful and shaming…condescending and unquestionably racist.Grow up.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Rishi is okay and has improved. I think that the production of the programme has something to do with the inane questions that some of the “anchors” are asking. They are trying to be all things to all men and it doesn’t work. I’ve never seen RUK but I sometimes watch ATR (though the picture is terrible and I hate the screen compressions), but they are catering to the converted and have a more professional racing knowledge and approach.
    Mick Fitzgerald is the reason I rarely watch live TV racing on Channel 4 these days, I usually record it and fast forward. I watch the horses in the paddock,(when they bother to show them) and the race. The after race interviews with the pole are horrible and as for the adverts……well I appreciate the necessity…..the ones saying how great, woman friendly and liberal Dubai is, well…..!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

So True.
    I mean basic names, like when Claire Balding

Claire [sic] Balding is almost as annoying as John Francombe [sic]

Clare Francome

Participant
    • Total Posts 660

I think Rishi has improved no end since joining the channel. He has absorbed the knowledge that surrounds him and seems like a chap you wouldn’t mind chatting to beside the paddock. The guy learned to race ride and that shows a certain commitment to the sport. The presenter who irks me , and appears to have escaped anyone elses comments , is Gina. I dont think the words Gina and charisma will often be paired in the same sentence. I could be influenced by the fact I’ve never won one of them blooming cars that she entices us to win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chivers1987 wrote:</div>
    So True.
    I mean basic names, like when Claire Balding

Claire [sic] Balding is almost as annoying as John Francombe [sic]

Clare Francome

Aiden O’Brien is a very popular one.

When it comes to the horses, there were plenty of Vatours and Vantours in betting rings this season.

I think Rishi has improved a lot, prefer him as a presenter, seems a genuinely nice guy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

I see he’s had his Christmas Wish granted – Not to present the Welsh Grand National on C4 on the day after Boxing Day.

All the Christmas wishes were repeated on the Morning Line today apart from Persad’s.

Don’t think he realises how lucky and privileged he’s been.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Rishi is probably average at best (that still puts him on a par with most of them) and in my opinion would be better off sticking with RUK.

It is also my opinion that people should be allowed to criticise anyone – irrespective of the colour of their skin – without the pc brigade jumping on the racist bandwagon.

Personally, I would consider the negativity of all the women presenters before looking at what Rishi brings to the table.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.