RIP John Mccririck

Home Forums Horse Racing RIP John Mccririck

Tagged: 

This topic contains 31 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  mickeyjp 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26322

I agree Joe.
    Sorry, I can’t be two faced just because John McCrirrick has died.
    I didn’t like the on-screen John. See some here describe him as “genuine”. tbh I found him nothing of the sort. For sure a good journalist in the early years, but became someone looking for notoriety/self publicity. Doubt he truly believed some of the things he came out with. Making out he was the punter’s pal… Where as seemed to me he loved increasing the viewer/punter’s sense of injustice; not because he thought they were right but because loved winding people up and it (supposedly) made good TV.

Not surprised those that knew him personally describe him as shy and nothing like the on screen John. Saw some of my own past social anxiety traits in his real persona. Am sure he was good to his friends and wife.

My thoughts are with the Booby.

value is everything
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8617

The last time I saw John McCririck was at Newmarket races on Future Champions Day 2 years ago. He walked into the Parade Ring before the big race, sat himself down on the edge of the prize giving platform, took out a huge Havana Cigar and lit up and there he sat puffing away whilst looking at his Raceform book and the horses parading. He was shaking and didn’t look well, dreadfully thin in the face a shadow of the JM that we all knew, but he was in the place that he loved best amongst the racegoers and the horses with his beloved Booby just a few yards away. Not everyone’s cup of tea but one of the many characters of racing that are slowly disappearing and not being replaced because they are not politically correct, speak their mind or challenge trainers to be honest about their horses chances. The closest I think we get nowadays is Mark Chapman.

RIP John McCririck and thank you for helping to care for the horses at Greatwood :rose:
    Thoughts with Jenny McCririck (The Booby)

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

The closest I think we get nowadays is Mark Chapman.

Trip,
    I’d switch the Tv off if Ginger popped his head on it, think you mean Matt…. :good:

I enjoyed Big Mac on tv
    for me the racing is what I tune in for but Mac would make me laugh every time.
    Very sad seeing him recently looking a shadow of his former self
    Rip John and thank you for the laughs.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26322

LOL
    Thanks, but think I’d switch everyone off, Jac; not just Nathan. :rose:

value is everything
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8617

Ha ha…Just realised my mistake and thought I’d slip in here quietly and Edit it, but should have known Nathan and Ginger would be on the case…must have had you at the back of my mind Mark whilst saying farewell to JM but can’t think why…you don’t happen to have a crate of cigars and a camel hair coat tucked away in your attic do you? :whistle: :heart: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5003

Like many who are careful to cultivate a public persona at odds with their private persona he eventually became a parody of the alter-ego he chose

When first crashing on to the goggler I found his antics and wardrobe faintly amusing and entertaining but the act soon became tiresome

That he was a knowledgeable lover of the sport and a one-time decent hack is unquestionable: let that be his legacy

During my days of regularly treading the turf I saw him ‘off camera’ from time to time and as others have alluded to he seemed a very different man: head down, eyes averted and a sullen rather sad demeanour

A one-off RIP

Ghost of Rob V
    Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 719

John McCririck was the life ‘n’ soul of Channel 4 Racing in the 80’s IMO. Never a dull moment whenever he was on the screen. Loved how he told off punters who were making faces behind him and how he relished a good steamer in the market. Won’t forget the moment he lost his hat in blustery weather.

A one-off character who I feel, in an alternate world, would’ve made a great Doctor Who.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1136

Im not sure why people that are shy and quiet are also assumed to be lonely and morose. Some people Are happy enough to be that way.

There are plenty of “life and soul of the party” types with a permenant stupid grin on their faces whohave blown their brains out

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 554

I could do without some of the repeated hollering when he was in caricature mode but liked a lot of what he did.
    Very amusing eccentric appearance in his early days on telly in strange but highly effective clothing.I enjoyed his berating of the C4 team for failing to come up with paddock negatives – ‘they can’t all look well’, annoying Jimbo asking him if a ‘wretched creature’ in his ownership was going to win, and a never forgotten rendition of ‘The Blaydon Races’ performed by a decent singer at Newcastle with Mac mouthing the words and gesticulating wildly standing in front of him. Good interaction with Barry Dennis too.
    Wish I could say to him ‘It’s great to have YOU back with us.’

phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1371

I didn’t see today’s Opening D’oh… sorry Show, did they bother to provide some sort of farewell to Big Mac? I would have liked to have seen Barry Dennis interviewed after their numerous appearances together in the betting ring on Channel 4

admin
    admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 664

They did Phil. A nice montage piece scripted and narrated by Brough Scott and a talk, hosted by Oli Bell, with Tanya Stevenson and Matt Chapman who shared anecdotes.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

https://www.itv.com/hub/itv-racing-the-opening-show/2a4875a0162

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1371

Thanks a lot for the link Nathan. However I still think the show is boring…

JJMSports
    JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2029

Very sad news. Absolutely peerless.

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 995

I met him just once, walking the course before the Gold Cup in 1986. We had a long and pleasant conversation out in the country; perhaps he was more relaxed than in a crowd. He did become a caricature of himself, perhaps trying to maintain his profile, and I don’t give him any points for being ‘politically incorrect’ which is another term for being uninformed, intolerant and inarticulate.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.