The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

refreshments at the track

Home Forums Horse Racing refreshments at the track

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

Take a packed lunch and eat it in the car park at most tracks Happy.

If you haven’t got time to finish it, stuff a bag of crisps and a banana in your pockets. (Am sure there’s a joke in there somewhere).

Good idea for a league table. Will take a look at Goodwood tomorrow.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

No wonder most tracks ban punters bringing their own food and drink .
    I paid £1.80 for a bottle of Fanta and £3.50 for a pasty at Huntingdon.
    I am sure there are others who have also paid over the odds. Lets get a league table for the dearest and the cheapest. Try to keep prices for similar products.

Ouch.

Couple of questions though, so people can compare. What size was the Fanta?
    Was this a mass-produced Ginsters pasty or a non-brand one?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

Fish and chips at Perth, £6 and the best I’ve eaten on a racecourse. Given that most local chippies in Dunfermline charge around £5 for a fish supper, the price at Perth isn’t excessive.

Hidden gem on the Scottish circuit is the Rosebery Cafe near the main entrance at Musselburgh. Coffee is excellent value for £1 and the sandwiches and cakes are really good and reasonably priced. Not present at every meeting, but the fresh cooked potato crisp van is worth a look as well, and if you ever visit Culross in Fife one of the franchise vans sets up in the car park there.

Meals in the cafe/restaurant under the stand at Kelso are excellent value.

Worst course I’ve come across for food is Hexham. Not many outlets and a poor choice, though the soup isn’t bad.

Rob

dprp
    • Total Posts 175

Owners & trainers bar at Bangor…1 donut (of exactly the type that are 6 for 50p at the supermarket)…£3.50!!!!

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3140

Tommo’s just been complaing about a "99" costing him £1.80 at Yarmouth and I think it was £1.50 for 100g of pick n mix at the sweet stall there.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Thought I would stick to Public Area outlets. But while on the subject of Owner & Trainers facilities I have brought them up before and received tirades suggesting I don’t have to be an owner and to stop wingeing.

Be fair Happy – I only criticised you for wanting apperance money – I do strongly believe owners and trainers should be fed and watered well :lol:

Going back to food at the courses – as someone who tries to visit every course at least once a year the variable standard / cost of food is something close to my heart and waistline.

I have to say you are very brave going for the pasty at Huntingdon – they are, how shall I put it?, unique. The pastry is so greasy – horrible things.

Newton Abbot has very good food – a main meal, of pretty good quality, for £8.50.

Fontwell has a curry shop with a very decent offering for £5.

Being a non-drinker one standard I use is the cost of a bottle of water which can range from £1 up to £3 for the same size and brand.

As a general rule of thumb, and I agree there are exceptions, the bigger the course the higher their prices.

However there is hope. When I first published my review of courses there was one in particular that I criticised over the food – saying I threw it away after a mouthful and wouldn’t feed it to a dog.

Needless to say the course MD was soon in touch to complain.

To cut a long story short – at their next meeting I met up with him and it transpired he had never actually tried the food. So I took him down to the particular outlet and bought him some of the offending food – let’s just say he found the experience enlightening.

Suffice to say the course now has new caterers.

So the answer is complain if you are not happy.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

We’ve never been racing and not taken food with us; we couldn’t possibly afford to pay for food at somewhere like Cheltenham, and couldn’t go for the whole day without eating. Don’t eat things like burgers and chips or whatever the food is thats sold on racecourses. What happens if you have to eat a special diet; gluten free or that sort of thing..can you not take food in with you then? We never want to miss any of the racing by having to queue.

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 788

I went to Goodwood on Monday. Sun was shining, absolutely fantastic setting. Everyone behaved. We had a picnic in the free carpark under a tree. Couldn’t have asked for better.
    However, after the fourth race, I was a bit peckish….

I bought beef roll with onions from the Goodwood ‘van’ £6.00 This is pricey but it was really tasty and the beef from a good source etc. Still, if the wife and two little’uns wanted one as well, that’s £24 notes!! No way…

Also, during the day

I paid £4 for a bottle of Magners
    and £3.50 for a pint of Carling
    £1.50 for a bottle of water (500ml)

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Fish and chips and a pint of Hogsback at Newbury or the prawn curry man (multiple courses) are my personal favourites.

Edit: to add that the Bacon Hoagies in the Winged Ox bar at Cheltenham are also highly recommended.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Cheeseburger and Chips and a Brew for about £4 odd at Wolverhampton is very good value and it tastes very nice.

Yorks Ebor Bistro in the new stand can be a bit costly but the food is very good.

Chester wise id advise you to eat in the City which offers a bigger selection and will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

Had some fish and chips at Market Rasen once (not sure of the price as Christian bought them for me), but for every mouthful of fish, I seemed to get a mouthful of bones. Filleted fish next time please!

I tend to have an ice-cream at most courses if it’s a warm day – those of you who saw me lead in Flipper at Kempton will know I’m of the ‘sweaty, rotund’ ilk. The Haagen-Dazs Hazelnut and Mocca tub (200 ml) at Chantilly was 4 Euros but delicious, and a litre of Coke at 3.50 Euros in the bar there sounds pricey, but it was draught, served ice cold in a chilled glass – perfect when it’s 35c on the course! If you want cheap and cheerful though, Muelheim earlier this month – Ice Cream cornet (like a enormous Cornetto) with 3 large scoops of various flavour – I had banana, amaretto and walnut, and all for just 1 Euro! Mind you, the queue kind of told its own story – waiting for 15 minutes I guess is the price you pay!

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

The home-made soup at Alnwick point-to-point, which sells at £1 for a big, big mug, is apparently a thing of wonder in terms of taste as well as price. Yet to have the pleasure myself.

The venison burger with onions and mushrooms I had at Cartmel on Monday relieved me of £4.50, but bless me it was good.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

The home-made soup at Alnwick point-to-point, which sells at £1 for a big, big mug, is apparently a thing of wonder in terms of taste as well as price. Yet to have the pleasure myself.

The venison burger with onions and mushrooms I had at Cartmel on Monday relieved me of £4.50, but bless me it was good.

gc

So it was Deer in both senses.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

I don’t know of any course I couldn’t take my own food and drink to as you aren’t searched on the way in and when at the track you are pretty much ignored as long as you don’t run around naked and shouting.

A small flask, bottle or sandwich/snacks should be easily got into any track.

I also wonder why a lot of the programmes/racecards still state some sort of dress code and that mobiles shouldn’t be allowed in the betting ring when that isn’t enforced either, not to mention the IR gangs by the bookies.

I had the smile wiped off my face at Folkestone recently when 4 cups of tea set me back £6, though when I later bought 3 small cups of mulled wine and was charged £13.20 I should have known better.

I can’t recall the prices for the chili or curry from the van at Plumpton, think it’s £3.50 for a tray of rice with curry or chili, but it’s worth every penny.

Bovril is a sad rarity at the tracks in winter.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Newbury: 1 plastic cup + 1 tea-bag + hot water = £1.70

Colin

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

If anyone sees an odd couple with a flask making a cup of tea near to the Arkle statue at Cheltenham, that will be us. Bangor, however, seem to make a point of preventing you from taking sandwiches onto the course.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

gc

So it was Deer in both senses.

:mrgreen:

Another thumbs up for the Plumpton curry can from me, sberry. Good good stuff.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.