The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Radio Five Royal Ascot Coverage

Home Forums Horse Racing Radio Five Royal Ascot Coverage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

People often complain about the BBC’s Royal Ascot coverage on the television (btw, what happened to the tv highlights?), but being out and about I’ve had to make do with radio five.<br> <br>God, it’s been dreadful.

From Luke Harvey’s pathetic giggle-sodden offerings in the morning, to Lysaght’s twittering in the the afternoon, it was an unprofessional, cringe-making piece of broadcasting today.

1pm – sports headlines, and what does Lysaght fill his spot with but some guff about the odds being offered on what colour of hat the Queen will wear.

3.05 and 3.45, the two big races – John Hunt’s commentaries ruined by Lysaght’s continual interruptions. You can tell that Hunt can’t stand it, but he’s too polite to tell the idiot to shut up.

I don’t really care whether Lysaght and Harvey make fools of themselves – it’s hardly a secret – but what really angers me is that they bring ridicule on to the sport itself.

How on earth do they hang on to their jobs?<br>

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

I wonder how 75% of the racing folk on our screens keep there job in racing.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Quote: from Money on on 6:42 pm on June 21, 2007[br]I wonder how 75% of the racing folk on our screens keep there job in racing.

<br>I wonder how people like Lesley Graham ever got one in the first place.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Lesley Graham does not work for radio five.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Quote: from Venusian on 6:52 pm on June 21, 2007[br]Lesley Graham does not work for radio five.

<br>I didn’t say she did I was replying to Money on’s comment.

Read properly boy. ;-) lol.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Read the thread title.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Maybe Lesley Graham got on because she was married to a trainer called Neil Graham, or maybe she had the most jaw-droppingly brilliant audition for the presenters job that C4 just couldn’t turn her down?

carlislecarlisle
    • Total Posts 772

or maybe they needed a token bird.

Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I no longer listen to R5 in the morning – has Mr Harvey managed to crowbar Tony McCoy into the conversation yet?

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

It would be nice to be able to press the red button and cut out all the crap.  A no frills service with the parade ring, horses going down, a few betting shows and the race.  No pundits, no experts, no adverts, no bookmaker PR, no Big Mac, no Thompson, no Rishi, no Chapman, no Carson.  Just horses betting and racing.

• Total Posts 1904

Oh yes on the subject of Matt Chapman. I don’t see a lot of ATR so I hadn’t come across this particular gentleman before yesterday. I tuned in to watch the highlights of Royal Ascot only to be confronted by a shiny-faced yob in a flashy suit leering out of a tiny booth and shouting the phrase, ‘You da man’ at me as though he had just watched his first ever episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Clearly he is positioning himself as the next Derek Thompson, but frankly, give me Thommo every time.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Someone had to mention Matt Chapman didn’t they? I could rant on for hours about him.

Everytime I see him now I just shake my head that someone on here called him attractive. :o  My mind boggles it really does I can’t find anything likeable about the man whatsoever in any way, shape or form.

It is about time something was done about the standard of presenters on TV / radio, the sport is done no favours at all.

(Edited by Flash at 9:26 pm on June 21, 2007)

• Total Posts 1904

Attractive? :o :o :o :o :o

Isn’t there some sort of screening process before people join the forum to weed out these dangerous perverts?

(Edited by Aranalde at 9:28 pm on June 21, 2007)

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Quote: from Flash on 9:25 pm on June 21, 2007[br]Someone had to mention Matt Chapman didn’t they? I could rant on for hours about him.

Everytime I see him now I just shake my head that someone on here called him attractive. :o  My mind boggles it really does I can’t find anything likeable about the man whatsoever in any way, shape or form.

It is about time something was done about the standard of presenters on TV / radio, the sport is done no favours at all.

(Edited by Flash at 9:26 pm on June 21, 2007)<br>

I couldn’t agree more! Every time I see/hear him now I squint to attempt see any redeeming features whatsoever, and I haven’t found any yet, either in personality or looks. Having him present the Ascot highlights when people who normally may not tune in to ATR may be watching  is an abysmal choice. It’ll put people off forever.

carlislecarlisle
    • Total Posts 772

Hmmmm, flies.<br>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.