The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing’s biggest selling point?

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing’s biggest selling point?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Fine point Aji.

Racing is unique in that it is a sport with minimal confidence in it’s own product. It’s arcane nature means that it is not easily accessible to newcomers. However, like most things in life, those who perservere are always hugely rewarded in terms of thrills, spectacle, opinion (see "Whip") and entertainment.

Unfortunately, in this age of dumbness and instant gratification the chase for the ephemeral ‘yoof’ market (as if racing was ever followed by the under-25’s!) means endless tawdry sideshows to ruin – sorry, ‘enhance’ – the product. Of course, the many who attend a Peter Andre spectacular at Newmarket in July will no doubt be musing over the novices’ chase at Hexham come December, thus proving these comments ridiculous.

As a Angus McNae once said on RUK: "If you take away the concert, all you have left is just six horse races."

Absolutely. It’s called a race meeting.

Mike

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4609

Fine point Aji.

Racing is unique in that it is a sport with minimal confidence in it’s own product. It’s arcane nature means that it is not easily accessible to newcomers. However, like most things in life, those who perservere are always hugely rewarded in terms of thrills, spectacle, opinion (see "Whip") and entertainment.

Unfortunately, in this age of dumbness and instant gratification the chase for the ephemeral ‘yoof’ market (as if racing was ever followed by the under-25’s!) means endless tawdry sideshows to ruin – sorry, ‘enhance’ – the product. Of course, the many who attend a Peter Andre spectacular at Newmarket in July will no doubt be musing over the novices’ chase at Hexham come December, thus proving these comments ridiculous.

As a Angus McNae once said on RUK: "If you take away the concert, all you have left is just six horse races."

Absolutely. It’s called a race meeting.

Mike

What really hacks me off more than almost anything else is a large number of courses seem to use a concert to cover up absolutely crap racing – the worse offenders being Epsom, Sandown and Haydock – they seem to think the concert goers will not care about the quality of racing.

Anybody not interested in the concert would not pay £35 to watch the rubbish racing offered up on most concert nights – it is so bad at some meetings even the annual members stay away in their droves.

(I have to say in Newmarket’s defence they don’t tend to lower the quality of racing as much)

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 916

However, the key selling point is LUCK.

Nick Luck will be pleased to hear that, having just been voted Broadcaster of the Year for the fourth time in five years.
    He has plenty of admirers on this forum for his excellent appearances on Racing UK and Channel 4. He’s certainly impressively professional.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26562

What really hacks me off more than almost anything else is a large number of courses seem to use a concert to cover up absolutely crap racing – the worse offenders being Epsom, Sandown and Haydock – they seem to think the concert goers will not care about the quality of racing.

Anybody not interested in the concert would not pay £35 to watch the rubbish racing offered up on most concert nights – it is so bad at some meetings even the annual members stay away in their droves.

(I have to say in Newmarket’s defence they don’t tend to lower the quality of racing as much)

Newbury have a concert on Hungerford day.

I wish they

would

put it on a poor quality card Paul. So I don’t need to turn up! I’m not totally against concerts on race days. It’s not for me, but can put up with one or two a year if neccesary. Although would only go if a member (already paid).

Quality of Sunday racing should be improved in Britain.

value is everything
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

I suppose it is what you would miss most if it wasn’t there – so for me it has to be Cheltenham.

Clearly not the biggest selling point but it’s probably one of the few places where someone with no dress sense whatsoever can feel quite comfortable.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26562

Clearly not the biggest selling point but it’s probably one of the few places where someone with no dress sense whatsoever can feel quite comfortable.

:lol:

Nice one Stilvi, I know the feeling!

value is everything
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.