The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing on ITV

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing on ITV

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    tony321
    Participant
    • Total Posts 368

24th February 1968 on Grandstand

Racing from Lingfield Park , commentary by Clive Graham and Peter Bromley

200 – Horley Novices Hurdle (Div 1) 2M
    230 – Jerry M Handicap Chase 2 1/2M
    300 – Manifesto Handicap Chase 3M
    330 – RA Sassoon Memorial Hunters Chase 3M

chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 698

Does anybody know if they are going to show the Craven meeting?

I cannot find a schedule of fixtures they intend to broadcast for the year, as I seem to remember they had last year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 452

According to the ITV diary ITV4 are showing Newmarket & Cheltenham on both 15th and 16th April.

Shame about Cheltenham being on as they’ll spend 90% of their free time reflecting on the festival just gone rather than any classic hopes and the 2020 flat season in general.

Cynical ?
    Tetchy ?

Probably
    I.

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 200

Probably because jumping is far more popular than the flat these days.
    It doesn’t take Over until the Guineas meeting these days

chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 698

Thanks isinglass.

From what I remember about last years coverage it was very much focused on the flat.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

“Emma Lavelle is going to be furious I put her age (46) on that graphic” says Ed Chamberlain, 46.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1703

Can anyone explain why ITV insist on showing the parade for the Ryanair, but the actual feature race of the day once again gets relegated to joining them at the start? :unsure:

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

Oh here I go crabbing him again but I can’t help it…
    They were all rabbiting on and on about the golden hour and Ed obviously desperate for a repeat. Ancient wise old Brough Scott said “That isn’t going to happen. Move forward. Hope for something even better”.

So….they could have adjusted to the new script and spun the narrative about Min finally shedding his Cheltenham bridesmaid tag and winning a G1 at the festival; and then Rebecca Curtis fighting back after a virus savaged the yard and half her owners left with their horses, training a feature race winner at crazy odds, paddling him in the sea in Wales like Red Rum used to do in Liverpool and rearing her young family. But no. They mentioned some of the above briefly and then cut to Francesca having a pint.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

ITV need you as director, ‘Grass. :good:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Too many clowns and not enough experts.
    I don’t think they will but I hope ITV lose the contract.
    I would cull Chapman, Harvey, Fitzgerald, Scott, Plunkett, Persad, Grassick and Stevenson for starters 🙂

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

“I would cull Chapman, Harvey, Fitzgerald, Scott, Plunkett, Persad, Grassick and Stevenson for starters”

Agree on all except Plunkett. I’d rather her than the excruciating Cumani.

chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 698

I also felt they concentrated too much on the ‘golden hour’ being repeated, if it had happened again it would not have been as special as last year. And Brough Scott was spot on saying “That isn’t going to happen. Move forward. Hope for something even better” Maybe the producer should have consulted him earlier ie before they put it all together.

I am not sure about hoping they lose the contract I would rather have anything than no terrestrial horse racing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

ITV are catering for a different audiance than us Racing freaks. Needing to attract a wider audiance. However, even allowing for this I agree they’ve too many clowns.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

On the rare occasions I see ITV Racing it makes me realise that my RTV subscription is worth it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

I’ve watched ITV live and recorded RTV. Unfortunately I haven’t had time to watch all RTV’s coverage but their pundits as a group are undoubtedly better.

Hislop and Mangan knock Cumani and Plunkett out the ballpark.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

After sniping yesterday I had better say some nice things. Ed is a good anchorman I guess and always diligent about updates on fallen horses..it seems he has the lead (big) responsibility for this and does it very well with suitable gravitas. Also dresses smartly as do they all which seems a bit trivial to say but I think shows respect for the viewers and the game.
    I liked the features on Rachael Blackmore and Sirrel Griffiths.
    Brian Gleeson sometimes gets on my wick but I do like the way he knows his stuff- he was instantly able to name the year and horse that Foxhunters winning connections won with nearly 3 decades ago and took such genuine pleasure in a point to pointing family winning it.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

Plus Ruby’s discussion of tactics and analysis on replays about the body language of horses and jockeys is brilliant. Actually that could be the thing that lures in a new generation of viewers. If casual viewers can start to understand a sport better they might get more and more absorbed as they start to see for themselves what is really happening and get the buzz of knowig what might happen next.

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.