The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing on BBC

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing on BBC

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    seepigeon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

What a treat to have several hours of un-interrupted coverage of racing on the BBC in the past couple of days.

But sadly much of the coverage had little relevance for a racing enthusiast. The attention paid to the non-classic races was laughable, switching to coverage of a race a couple of minutes before the off. Filling the airwaves with vacuous nonsense such as John Parrott’s exploits with a bookmaker.

Even worse, Jim McGrath’s commentaries bear little relation to what was happening on the track (notably 1-55 and 3-00 races Sat) and a second look on the RUK website with the excellent Richard Hoiles confirmed that view.

Claire Balding keeps the ship afloat, despite Willie Carson’s best efforts to sink it.

• Total Posts 1415

Talking of TV coverage a massive well done to Racing UK.

What was refreshing was Lydia Hislop, Lee Mottershead and (the other guy who’s name I’ve forgotten for the minute) who pulled no punches and named names when criticing trainers and jockeys for not being bothered to come and talk to the viewers through the media. Absolutely bang on and well done for them for having the balls to come out and speak it as it is.

Contrast that to Channel 4’s Morning Line where surely the "panel" were instructed in what to say? I know Sheikh Mohammed effectively saved Channel 4 Racing but talk about arse lick. Every one of them practically had a brown tongue drooling over Sea The Stars who of course just happens to be the son of Cape Cross a Darley stallion. Maybe its me interpreting things wrong but I said to my girlfriend before the programme began that the C4 team would behave exactly as they did. Ok give an opinion and talk the horse up if you like his chances but my god at least look as if you’re genuine.

On the whole I thought the BBC did a fairly good job and it was great to see Clare Balding in good form even if she didn’t look or sound at her best. The coverage would’ve suffered without her as she’s a consumate professional.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’m only back in the UK for a month so wasn’t worth me resubscribing to RUK. Unfortunately. Was absolutely god awful. God knows what races Jim McGrath was watching because he seemed to say the pace was the exact opposite of what it actually was.

There was a pretty awful thing with Dwyer and Darley riding round Epsom. You couldn’t hear much so the BBC decided to put rock music over the top of it to make it more exciting.

Who was that chap interviewing everyone picking horses based on names and silks and jockeys? I actually thought he did his job well, seemed to know a bit about racing but unfortunately his job was to find the people who knew nothing about racing.

The video about Vincent O’Brien was extremely interesting but what would they have shown had he not passed away? Like Seepigeon says, the coverage devoted to the other races was incredible. Couldn’t quite believe it.

Willie Carson was as appalling as always. He’s like an elderly relative who embarrasses him/herself by asking stupid questions and doing stupid things. Can’t remember exactly what he said but it was from inside the weighing room before the Derby. He was talking to Mick and Dickie and being a general prat.

Ian, you must be the only person left in the country who actually watches the Yawning Line. I gave up on that crap years ago.

Your complaint does baffle me a little bit though. I’m not sure how 3 or 4 chaps talking up Sea The Stars at 8am on a Saturday is going to sway the breeders and broodmare owners into sending their horse to STS. Unless you mean they were doing that to keep Sheikh Mohammed sweet?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’ve just rewatched the race half a dozen odd times and the camera the director switches to in the final 5f are just dreadful. He zooms in on Sea The Stars round Tattenham Corner, the main part of the race. You want to see how your horse comes around the bend ffs.

Then 2 out he decides to zoom in on Golden Sword. Why? There’s a race going on ffs.

Then 1 1/2 out he decides to zoom in on Sea The Stars. Why? He’s got 3 closing on him ffs.

• Total Posts 1415

I’m only back in the UK for a month so wasn’t worth me resubscribing to RUK. Unfortunately. Was absolutely god awful. God knows what races Jim McGrath was watching because he seemed to say the pace was the exact opposite of what it actually was.

There was a pretty awful thing with Dwyer and Darley riding round Epsom. You couldn’t hear much so the BBC decided to put rock music over the top of it to make it more exciting.

Who was that chap interviewing everyone picking horses based on names and silks and jockeys? I actually thought he did his job well, seemed to know a bit about racing but unfortunately his job was to find the people who knew nothing about racing.

The video about Vincent O’Brien was extremely interesting but what would they have shown had he not passed away? Like Seepigeon says, the coverage devoted to the other races was incredible. Couldn’t quite believe it.

Willie Carson was as appalling as always. He’s like an elderly relative who embarrasses him/herself by asking stupid questions and doing stupid things. Can’t remember exactly what he said but it was from inside the weighing room before the Derby. He was talking to Mick and Dickie and being a general prat.

Ian, you must be the only person left in the country who actually watches the Yawning Line. I gave up on that crap years ago.

Your complaint does baffle me a little bit though. I’m not sure how 3 or 4 chaps talking up Sea The Stars at 8am on a Saturday is going to sway the breeders and broodmare owners into sending their horse to STS. Unless you mean they were doing that to keep Sheikh Mohammed sweet?

I’m not sure its "keeping Sheikh Mohammed sweet" just stinks of over-grattitude if you like.

When you look at RUK’s coverage (if you get the chance please do) and ATR’s for all their faults they are impartial they judge generally on merit and devote enthusiasm and time to as many competitiors as they can. Channel 4 are happiest when Godolphin succeed and their drool over Frankie Detorri is really cringeworthy. so much so that I will instantly turn over. Lately it hasn’t been quite so bad as Godolphin have done nothing for a few years and Frankie has been largely on the periphery.

Today though (well yesterday morning now) I knew they would be all over Sea The Stars. To a degree because he’s a Guineas winner (I remember them doing the same thing before including when insisting that Cape Verdi couldn’t get beat some years ago) but today with Cape Cross being Darley owned I knew from the off that he would be the only horse they really took an interest in and so it proved with practically everyone of them saying the same monotonous thing.

There are ocassions when I find a little entertainment in the Morning Line but yesterday wasn’t one of them for a Derby day I thought the programme was absolutely dreadful.

PS C4 PLEASE get rid of Tom Lee, I’ve seen more personality in a paint brush.

• Total Posts 1688

The BBC market their racing coverage to the casual onlooker, the general public etc etc

For the racing purist, you’re treated to both RUK and ATR, albeit by a monthly fee.

I understand the regular complaints I read on this forum re: the Beeb, but do you expect anything more of them?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

There are ocassions when I find a little entertainment in the Morning Line but yesterday wasn’t one of them for a Derby day I thought the programme was absolutely dreadful.

I heard huge complaints on 2000 Guineas day. Apparently there were something like Group 1s (aforementioned & KY Derby obviously, not sure of the other 1) from different continents and they barely gave the time of day to them.

• Total Posts 42

I did watch part of the BBC programme and as I am new, I didn’t think it was that bad. But then, the BBC is really going down hill in my opinion. They axed some good crime dramas and all they seem to care about these days is stupid shows in which to find a new musical star or what ever. How ever, for me it was a treat to see the races live from my couch.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

The BBC market their racing coverage to the casual onlooker, the general public etc etc

Good point Myles. I watched both days on BBC (thank you Sheikh Mohammed), and generally enjoyed the coverage.

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

God knows what races Jim McGrath was watching because he seemed to say the pace was the exact opposite of what it actually was.

Can’t watch the Morning Line, puts me off my breakfast!!…..checked the site Jim McGrath put up City Dancer as his charity bet…..a 3yo against older horses at this time of year?????, U/P…. he didn’t have to part with any of him Millions, as with most of the muppets on there he makes my skin crawl.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’m pretty sure that if Denise Large had been producing the programme for Channel 4 she wouldn’t have insisted in those close ups of Sea The Stars on the rail when the whole country was desperate to see how the race was unfolding and how the O’Brien pack was closing.

The classic vintage footage of Sir Ivor, The Minstrel, Nijinsky etc beforehand just showed how inept those close-ups were and how badly served we’ll be if this is the only historical footage – presumably there are some wide angled shots as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

What was refreshing was Lydia Hislop, Lee Mottershead and (the other guy who’s name I’ve forgotten for the minute)

Dave Yates, wasn’t it, on a rare day

sans cravatte

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Didn’t see much of the coverage after the first half hour or so, but if it was the same guy who was interviewing the already well-oiled on the open top buses early on, that was Dan Walker, sometime sports presenter on BBC News 24 and the relief host of Five Live Sport this last week.

He’d interviewed a few sets of connections in the latter capacity and, yes, he’d managed a to come out with a bit more than the generic "what are horse x’s chances?" patter.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 416

The BBC’s coverage is not geared to horse racing fans but to the general public which is very evident from the now limited extent of their coverage to the big glossy meetings that attract the public.

Carson is terrible and most of the rest are little better. While C4 is not brilliant at least they are there just about every Saturday and do actually go through the horses in some detail for each race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Carson has been abysmal from day 1 and not improved one iota, to say he’s been doing it for over 10 years he’s unlikely to be removed based on the level of his performance.
    Jimmy Lindley got criticism but he was many times better than Carson, he actually looked at the horses in the paddock and so did the viewers.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I loved Willie Carson as a jockey, but a racing presenter – or co-presenter, he most definitely is not. His interviewing technique ( I use the term very loosely ) is shocking to the point of embarrassing.

When he was attempting to interview the jockeys in the changing room before the Derby, he looked ( to coin a Billy Connolly phrase ) to be as welcome as a fart in a space suit. Jamie Spencer even told him to stop shouting.

Sure, he knows his racing inside out, but the viewer needs to feel comfortable with what they are watching. Willie Carson has the opposite effect. I cringed at times. Being tongue -tied and inarticulate does not a tv presenter make, I’m afraid. :?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 2432

GC, Dave Yates is the most talkative presenter I think I’ve ever come across. He sprays it like some runaway muck spreader loose in a Somerset spud field. Mottershead looked in awe of his sheer verbosity – even the resplendent Lydia appeared cowed in his presence. Someone ought to buy him one of those desk plaques for Christmas, the one about God, two ears and one mouth.

That said, big ups to RUK and "Mark Your Card". A channel which once again proves that it listens to its subscribers.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.