The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing at Chantilly

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing at Chantilly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Never Nearer
    • Total Posts 98

After spending hours on the internet trying to work this out I thought I’d throw myself on the mercy of the forum.

What’s the best way of getting to Chantilly racecourse from Britain?

If I fly to Charles de Gaulle is it train into Paris then train out, or is a taxi ride a better bet?

On Google Maps it looks like Orry-la-Ville-Coye is the nearest railway station to the course. Is that right, and is it within walking distance? If so it looks as though Eurostar would be a sensible option as you can get there direct from Gare du Nord.

Confirmation/alternative suggestions very gratefully received!

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I lived there for 2 1/2 months last year so my information is very reliable ;). As you correctly say, you need to get to Gare du Nord. You’ll need to take either the RER or one of the trains from the main part of the station. It takes roughly 40 minutes to Orry.

The racecourse is easily within walking distance. You want to take a left out of the station (the main building) and walk down to the train bridge. Take a right and keep going straight – you’ll see the racecourse on your right-hand side and it’s probably about a 5-minute walk. Chantilly itself is pretty boring. The castle which you’ll see opposite the main racecourse building is huge and you can go in there on Saturday evenings and they do various horse shows there. There’s also a horse racing museum there but entrance is very steep and it’s really not that interesting.

A return fare for Gare du Nord to Chantilly is €14. Definitely do not take a taxi. Do not. Just don’t.

Getting a bet on at Chantilly is tough on either of the 2 Classic days. Queues were extremely long. I’d recommend doing all your bets at once before racing starts or you can do them in the cafe opposite the station.

Have fun :)

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

If you are making a holiday of it you could consider taking the car.

Last time I went to Chantilly I put it on the Eurotunnel at Folkestone and 35 mins later you are in Calais. Then it is A26 to Arras and then A1 to Senlis which is just outside Chantilly.

Chantilly is North of Paris so therefore a long but easy drive.

Never Nearer
    • Total Posts 98

That’s a big help. Thanks to both of you.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2183

Can verify everything Zarkava says (for once). Its a nice train trip and easy. lovely walk too

And true about the bets

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

:lol:

Lyphard
    • Total Posts 29

Chantilly/Gouvieux station is 100 metres from the mile and a half start. The train is 25 mins from Gare Du Nord.

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

Definitely do not take a taxi. Do not. Just don’t.

I was a ‘victim’ of the what I can only call ‘ridiculous’ taxi system back in 2007 when I went to Chantilly for the French Oaks. After being stranded and wondering how on earth I was going to get my flight, I managed in my best French to ask a car park attendant where and how far the train station was. It was only when I managed to get to the train station (walked it, about 10-12 mins if I remember correctly) that I found out how the taxi system works. Needless to say, there were several other stranded people at the station who had done the same as me! The woman at the train station was quite helpful, however the duty manger, who spoke excellent English was brilliant. Believe me, he’s a mine of information on the entire Franch Public Transport system!

Getting a bet on at Chantilly is tough on either of the 2 Classic days. Queues were extremely long. I’d recommend doing all your bets at once before racing starts or you can do them in the cafe opposite the station.

I happened to be there at the day the PMU packed up, so despite having had a nice bet on West Wind in the big race, I had to wait a month before I got my money!!! Mind you, as Zarkava says, be prepared to do a bit of queueing. Then again, if you’ve ever been to Baden-Baden on the Grosser Preis day, you’ll find it’s about the same!

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.