The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racecourse Slang

Home Forums Horse Racing Racecourse Slang

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    naps
    • Total Posts 159

This is something that always used to baffle me when I was younger and occasionally still does, and was generally too embarrassed to ask. I am sure most of the gamblers in here know these all too well but for those who weren’t sure they may be of assistance. For those who know of more please feel free to add.

Bottle = 2  <br>This is a piece of rhyming slang. Although rhyming slang is usually made up of at least two words only the first word is used.So therefore, Bottle of glue = number two.

A Lady = 5<br>Five Pounds or a fiver is called a Lady Godiva, so the number five is simply a lady. It is also sometimes called a ching, a hand or jacks.

Stitch = 9<br>A Stitch in time saves nine, this is where the slang for nine comes from.

Cockle = 10<br>Another rhyming slang number, cock and hen = ten.

Carpet = 3<br>This is an odd one, it is supposed to come from the time a prisoner took to make a carpet while incarcerated. The time was estimated to be three months, therefore three is a carpet.

Neves = 7<br>Backslang this time. Simply reverse seven and you get the answer.

<br>Garden = 8<br>Garden gate = number eight, another example of rhyming slang.

<br>Half Stretch = 6<br>A prison sentence for a serious offence was twelve years, and those who were sentenced to this term referred to it as ‘doing a stretch’.<br>Therefore a half stretch is six.

<br>Ruof = 4<br>Another simple backslang. Ruof is four reversed.

<br>Commodore = 15<br>This isn’t an original slang word, it’s a recent addition.As you’ve already seen the number five is a lady,three times five is fifteen, and one of the Commodore hit songs was ‘Three times a Lady’. Therefore three times a lady equals a commodore.

<br>monkey = 500 (no idea why)<br>pony = 25 (again no idea)<br>score = 20 (something to do with an apple core)

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Isn’t a monkey something to do with the soldiers returning from war to Britain with a 500 Indian Rupee note which had a monkey on it? :shrug:

Maybe it’s something to do with when a jockey calls out to another in race, ‘monkey, monkey’ which is the signal (or request) to basically get out of the way and let me through!<br>Maybe they thought it up :giggle:

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Never heard commodore before but that is classic.

naps
    • Total Posts 159

I believe you’re right Kingston.

"With reference to a ‘monkey’ for £500. It came from soldiers returning from India where the 500 rupee note had a picture of a monkey on it. They used the term monkey for 500 rupees and on returning to England the saying was converted for sterling to mean £500."

And as for Pony, this was offered as an explanation:-

"Pony comes from the time when five pound notes were white and the cost of horses or ponies and the wedding carriage and the main expenses was approx £25.  People used to say "I’ll pay for the pony in white", referring to the colour of the money and the wedding. Therefore five white fivers became a pony roughly the cost of a wedding."

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

I haven’t heard that one on the pony before Naps. But it makes sense doesn’t it? :knight:

A pony is a drink size in New Zealand? (Australia?)Somewhere down under – maybe it used to cost a fiver :biggrin: <br>Well five in a shout perhaps :cheerful:

(Edited by Kingston Town at 2:20 pm on June 27, 2007)

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

ear hole= 6/4<br>One thats always puzzled me, anyone?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Ear’ole comes from Tic Tac – touching the ear is the signal for 6/4.

AP

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Numpty – technical term for a jockey who gets stuck in traffic on course, normally reserved for Jammie Spanner

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5112

Quote: from naps on 12:51 pm on June 27, 2007[br]<br>score = 20 (something to do with an apple core)<br>

I believe Score = 20 is derived from the old practice of keeping numerical records by ‘scoring’ notches on wooden ‘tally sticks’ with every twentieth notch cut deeper to enable quicker summing.

A greengrocer I knew had the quaint habit of ordering sacks of potatoes by the score – "Drop us a score off will ya"

As for slang some nice ones are:

evelyn 11/1<br>net and bice 12/1<br>elluva fear 11/4

Like ear’ole being 6/4 such as:

wrist 5/4<br>up the arm 11/8<br>shoulder 7/4

are derived from tic-tac

aphardyaphardy
    • Total Posts 190

£25 for a wedding! Ah the days of yore…long may they return. These days you’re looking at a least 12 Monkeys. And that’s only if you have enough typewriters..

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Ear’ole is the English tic-tac for 6/4.  

Scottish tic-tac is different 6/4 is half arm.

7/4 is shoulder

5/4 is wrist

11/10 is tips

5/2 is eyes

9/4 is top of head

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.