The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Question for Jilly

Home Forums Horse Racing Question for Jilly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Jilly <br>Is Hen Knight a good trainer or is it just because she has a rich family? As you have a link to the website maybe you know?

Hen Knight’s brother in law is Lord ‘Spam’ Vestey and he owns 5,000 acres of land in Gloucestershire as well as land in Scotland and also gets a payment as chairman of Cheltenham Racecourse.

The family have a reputation of being astute when it comes to paying income tax and despite a profit of 2.3 million in 1980 they paid just £10.00 in tax.

In the past the family demanded to pay no tax and incidentally purchased the title of Lord for £250,000.

The current estimate of wealth from the Sunday Times Rich list is a mere £150 million.

So would this former biology teacher whose first winner was owned by ‘Spam Vestey’ have made it without her family’s wealth and patronage?

I say no!

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

I doubt if it has anything to do with the Vestey connection more likely the Biddlecombe one.

Really what  the Vesteys pay or do not pay in tax has nothing to do with this

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Couldn’t this have gone on the Nicholls thread? Now there are 2 pointless threads clogging up the place with Seagull looking as daft as Jilly. Well done all.

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

davidjohnson,in the words of Russell Brand…

SHUT UP

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

I think Hen Knight’s record with horses in handicaps tells you the answer of whether she can train or not…….

Never been a fan of hers.

Tete Rouge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 119

davidjohnson,in the words of Russell Brand…

SHUT UP

More like the words of Jade Goody.  

Anyway, it seems to me that Hen is very good with some types of horse.  Not sure that she hasn’t lost confidence in herself a bit, to be honest – she seems to be a little bit lost where Racing Demon is concerned.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I think Hen Knight’s record with horses in handicaps tells you the answer of whether she can train or not…….

Some might prefer to judge by grade one wins

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Quite.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2742

Vestey has 17 meat processing plants in Venezuala alone<br>  and has helped Big Mac out. No he is definitely more into cow than horse, and Eredron Bleu who shaved the hair from Direct Route’s nostril in the chelters QM would readily give his neck in support :wincup:

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Quote: from clivex on 5:50 pm on Jan. 20, 2007[br]

Some might prefer to judge by grade one wins

<br>

Maybe, but if you have good horses i think most people would have won grade ones with the horses she has has. I think better trainers would have done much better with Impek and Racing Demon.

IMO, it is much harder to win handicaps as a trainer, it take good placing of horses and knowing them well as individuals. Thats what training is about, and the fact that her record in handicaps is terrible means everything.

As long as you’re not a complete numbskull then if the right horse comes along most people would be able to win grade ones with it.

If people on here think training grade one horses is harder, you are very much mistaken.

She has had the easy life, she came across these horses luckily without showing she can really train horses.

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Ms Knight was a good trainer before Terry came along…She was a brilliant point to point trainer, she was also a good rider herself and evented and competed at Badminton…..she also has a stud and breeds Connemara ponies…she gets to know her horses inside and out, she knows everything about them…

She is a very talented lady….and gives everyone the time of day…

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

she also has a stud

<br>terry???? :o  Well maybe it imprioved her training but…

I mean…well

But anyway…its easy to say "because shes had the horses". Shes had those horses (and not buggered them up) for a reason….

I can think of trainers who would NOT have won 3 gold cups with Best mate

(Edited by clivex at 12:01 am on Jan. 21, 2007)

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

It’s a shocking indictment of our system of government  that the very rich can pay so little by virtually only paying for the services of a firm of tax lawyers. And Blair has done his level best to preserve if not enhance tax-lawyer Thatcher’s contribution to the common weal.

In any case, that kind of money tends to signify varying degrees of spiritual deprivation, not privilege – hence the propensity of so many of their children for drug-addiction and intentional suicide.

But for all that, I wouldn’t have put you down for an envious type, Seagull. So Henrietta has rich connections and maybe they have been a substantial help. So what?

Just suppose that accounted for an inordinate  part of her success, (though racingirluk suggests otherwise), so what?

The world has always worked that way, and in my experience and I believe that of many others, most of those "old money" types tend to be much nicer, kinder more humane people than the frenzied social climbers like Thatcher, Major, Blair and the wild animals of the post-Thatcher Tory party, and their like.

Maybe you mix with a lot of racing types and get some good gen from them. I don’t. But I don’t feel rancorous towards you for it or consider it lessens your stature as a maven here.

We’re lucky to have your input on this board, as most of the shrewdies with an inside track on the game seem to keep their own council – which is understandable enough.

My own feeling, on a personal level, is that unless they’re politicians, I don’t think that because people are very rich or public figures we should feel any less  careful to avoid writing something hurtful about them, in any event.

On the other hand, discussing the relative merits of trainers and jockeys in terms of a meritocracy, from a betting angle makes perfect sense, at least when expressed without rancour.

Not only that but I won’t hear a word against mad Tel or any of his loved ones! We might never again get the benefit of one of his, "Ooh aaargh, ee’d ‘ave a chance"s! <br>

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

:cool: Good night,God bless.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Grimes,<br>I’m not envious of wealth when those who are blessed with either good luck or having worked hard in whatever vocation they chose to become wealthy.<br>However why should we have no choice to pay our taxes when others who are in a far better position to do so employ top lawyers to avoid taxes.<br>This of course has been the norm with this family for nearly 100 years now.

With regards to Lord ‘Spam’  I think as chairman of Cheltenham he should have offered to resign after the foot and mouth debacle that cost us a Cheltenham Festival. <br>All it would have took was for the chairman who in the end takes the credit (and money) when things go to plan to look at the foot and mouth restrictions that were in place at the time and ensure not even 1 sheep was to be allowed to graze inside the exclusion zone.<br>How hard would that be?

The new master plan he wants installed is a Ladies Day at the Festival. Just because one of his grandfathers bought his title does not make him astute and means jacksh*t  to others.

Without the family money Hen would probably be marking up some homework this morning.

<br>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.