The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prix Rothschild 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Prix Rothschild 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Very keen on Reggane to win this and for those who want to be a little more cautious she is an each way price. Ghanaati got first run on her at Ascot and my impression was that it would be a lot closer if they ever met again. Bearing in mind her lack of experience it would be no surprise to see Reggane show plenty of improvement. Goldikova is priced up on what she did last year. Personally, I felt she was kidded home by Peslier at Newmarket and for me there wasn’t a lot of petrol left in the tank.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Goldikova didn’t impress at Newmarket, and certainly doesn’t rate a 5/4 chance, but she improved markedly during the latter half of last season and I don’t know that I’m brave enough to say that she won’t do so again.

There’s no reason why Elusive Wave should reverse Coronation form with Reggane, but she (along with Proviso) will guarantee a sound pace regardless and could set the race up for closer

Homebound

. She finished strongly behind Tamazirte at Longchamp on her reappearance and came from absolutely nowhere to get the better of Reggane at Chantilly. There would appear to be more to come from her and she’s flexible with regard to conditions.

The current 8/1 will suffice.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

I will stick with Goldikova. She has made me alot of money in the past.

At first I thought she made hard work of her Newmarket win, as I thought she would win easily that day. But on seeing the replay, whenever anything came to her, she just picked up a little bit again, and seemed to be only doing enough. Peslier was hands and heels.

Reggane is the danger in my opinion. I would have been very interested in backing her in the Nassau had she run there, because she looked like a very progressive filly when coming second behind Ghanaati.

I couldn’t have Elusive Wave on my mind, never really thought she was top class. To be honest, I don’t know too much about some of the others, but of the fillies I do know a bit about, they won’t trouble Goldikova or Reggane imo.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Agree 100% with Equitrack about Homebound – will certainly be backing her today :)

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I was looking for a decent price to back, so Elusive Wave at 7/1 will do me. I thought the ground was too fast at Ascot, and it will be soft today. The soft ground may cause a problem or two for Goldikova, so at the price i’m willing to risk it. I don’t cast aside horses after one less than impressive performance, so i’m expecting to see a good run from

elusive wave

Our Vic
    • Total Posts 99

Golikova should win this, 11/8 is short but it’ll do.

ARWalsh
    • Total Posts 25

This is a very strong race i think with so many likely winners so I’m a layer of Goldikova at the current prices. I really like the look of Reggane who I thought ran well behind Ghanaati in the Coronation and as good as Goldikova was last year she hasn’t been as good this year and didn’t beat a lot at Newmarket so definately think the favourite can be beaten today.

Our Vic
    • Total Posts 99

Here’s a preview I put together…..

3.35 Deauville
    Prix D’Astarte (Group 1) (Straight Mile) (3YO plus)
    Winner €142,850 – Ground: Soft

Proviso: Has always delivered a little bit less than she’s promised, namely when stepped up to Group 2 or 1 company; Best win is only actually a Group 3 as a juvenile, and apart form that she has 2 conditions contests and a listed win to her name; Ran good race in the Prix D’Isphan 2 runs ago but was appauling at Ascot last time out and readily overpassed here.

Danse Grecque: Came very close to getting a big win the Pirx Corrida last time out and that represents a big step forward for here, and that form has been boosted by the winner going on to be 2nd in the Grand Prix De Saint Cloud; However looks to have this trip on the short side judging by her performance and race history (Started racing over 1m6f and never raced less than 9f)

Lady Marian: Rapidly improving for Walter Bortmei last season, taking a Group 3 event with ease on her way to taking the German Oaks and the last year’s L’Opera; Switched to Godolphin for a crack at the Dubai Duty Free but disappointed, probably needing the run; Suspicion will be that this trip (only raced over it twice, never won on it) will be too short for her.

Testamata: Been running in low grade contests since coming to the De Vicotre yard and ran above herself when 4th in Prix Fer Du Nord; Surprise if she’s good enough.

Saphresa: Ahead of Testamata last time out in Prix Fer Du Nord and has run some very respectable races in her times, being twice a listed winner; Good 2nd in above race behind Beacon Lodge but progress to make to take a hand here.

Eva’s Request: Made some good progress this season with a listed and Group 3 win and was still going places when 3rd behind Heaven Sent and Spacious; 7th in Falmouth last time takes the shine off and while valid contender, not much to suggest she can win this.

Golidova: Outstanding star filly/mare who already has 4 Group 1 wins to her name, with wins in this last year, before taking the Moulin on her way to taking the Breeder’s Cup Mile in outstanding fashion; Disappointing when reappearing in Prix D’Isphan, 7th on heavy ground at Longchamp but right back to best when landing the Falmouth last time, never really overextending; Has a favourite’s chance in a winnable race.

Homebound: Never really been tested so far in her career until last time out, when getting the better of Coronation Stakes 2nd Reggane in the Prix Sandringham; Was also a decent 4th in the Prix La Grote on debut so no shortage of strong form for this runner and definte chance here, so one to be wary of.

Reggane: Only 3 starts and has already finished 2nd in a Group 1 and Group 2, to add to her impressive debut win; Suffered a big of interference when 2nd in the Coronation Stakes and did have to be switched wide, which makes her fast closing 2nd all the better; Should have big chance here.

Lalaheeb: Has come very close to winning a Group 1, when getting to within ½ a lengths of Again in the Irish 1,000 Guineas; Reversed that form when 5th in the Coronation, which wasn’t a half bad effort by her standards; Soft ground will be a massive help and big run not ruled out today.

Elusive Wave: Smart juvenile for Richard Hannnon who has improved for switch to Jean Claude Rouget, staying on in Prix Marcel Boussac; Gained smart wins in trial for the French 1,000 Guineas and main event,, admittedly under perfect front running ride; Went to Ascot to take on English and Irish Guineas winners in Conration and finished 4th; Possible that being challenged for the lead and and fast ground didn’t help he that day and chance here if back to Guineas winning form.

Only Green: Is a listed winner but in here to set good gallop for Golidkova.

VERDICT: The ease with witch GOLDIOVA won the Falmouth stakes was pretty impressive and she looks to have an outstanding chance here. 11/8 is no gift, but it’s hard to see her being beaten, with is testament to her quality, despite the strength of this field. I can’t see why HOMEBOUND is as big as 10/1 with Hills, having beaten subsequent Coronation Stakes 2nd Reggane last time out. The latter names should go well here, and it’s no certainty that she will uphold form with Elusive Wave from the Conration Stakes, with a softer surface. Also worthy of mention are the 2 Mick Channon trend Challengers, Lalaheeb being of huge interest, as she is a proven soft ground performer. She could snatch a place. Eva’s Request has a hard task on her to reverse form with Golidokova.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Golidova looked more workmanlike than classy to me when she won the Falmouth but there nothing wrong with that. She keeps winning which is what’s important and until she gets beat it I am sticking with her.

Don’t rate Reggane at all and think she was flattered big time when 2nd to Ghanaati in what was a real mess of a race.

Homebound beat Reggane which doesn’t exactly do it for me and I much prefer the chances of stable companion Elusive Wave to bounce back to her best and follow Golidova home.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Goldikova toowin, the Head yard had a bug in the spring so i can see allot of impreovement from their horses as the year goes on.

Our Vic
    • Total Posts 99

2.55 Deauville
    Prix De Cabourg (Group 3) (2YO only)
    Winner €40,000 – 5 run

4 pts win Socriere
    Zazibari: Impressive winner on debut before then being beaten by Boltcity last time out; Hard to see him reversing the form.

Bolcity: Really come on a lot for his reappearance by bolting up in his next race, before then just getting the better of Zaznibar; Lot to like about him here and capable of taking a step up in class.

Had the measure of a listed winner, and a good one at that when mastering Colonial 1st time out; Disappointing when put back into fillies company when readily beaten by Wonderfilly( 5th in Prix Robert Papin); Winner last time out but others preferred.

Wonderfilly: Easily had measure of Lixirova 2 runs ago but well beaten in Prix Robert Papin behind Special Duty; No doubting that this drop in class will suit but even tough task on.

Sorciere: Impressive debut win has worked out very well, with the 2nd winning the Prix Robert Papin and the 3rd finishing 2nd in the Vintage Stakes at Glorious Goodwood; Has a lot of scope for improvement and well up to taking this.

Verdict: 11/8 represents a fair measure of SOCRIERE’S form chances.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Sorciere is the only other horse i’m on today aswell Vic. Hopefully the 5/4 looks good enough after the race mate.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Looks like we missed out there. FFS i went downstairs to watch it and it wasn’t even on. Have Racinguk began the cut backs already ?

Will the 335 be on anywhere ?

If Elusive Wave dosen’t win i’ll be eating beans for the next week :lol:

Absolutey hate backing a horse and not being able to see it run. :oops:

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

There goes Goldikova, as easy as you like there. She’s trained on from last season alright, if anyone needed any more re-assurances after the Falmouth. I did suspect that Elusive Wave was better than the other horses, but just wonder if the ground was actually soft ? It matters not.

What do people think about the going, was it really soft ?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Did Elusive Wave finish 2nd ?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Found it drat!!! should have done the forecast as well 10.02 :cry:

ReasonoverFaith
    • Total Posts 346

This won’t last long before being removed; but enjoy it while you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-5qV914Yug

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.