The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prix de L’Arc de Triomphe

Home Forums Horse Racing Prix de L’Arc de Triomphe

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

". I guess Ballydoyle’s millions have made it all the way to the French stewards room."

Surprising they let him keep it but Ballydoyle/Coolmore and indeed every other non French trainer has felt the wrath of the French stewards on numerous occasions.

chalk jockey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 253

A strange ride from Frankie,I wish there were more group races run on Sundays. But well done Dylan Thomas,I enjoyed the race.

If you go to back a certainty always buy a return ticket.

brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

Surprising they let him keep it but Ballydoyle/Coolmore and indeed every other non French trainer has felt the wrath of the French stewards on numerous occasions.

Not surprised to see the forum’s official Ballydoyle PR person respond to my post. Does the saying "everybody has a price" come to mind. One need only go back 24 hours earlier and watch the disqualification of Rhenus in the Prix Dollar. This horse was demoted from 2nd to 5th for a transgression that was hardly discernable. In light of that it makes this non decision even more incomprehensible except for see my reason above.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

brendanr – I don’t mean to sound disrespectful but you are talking complete and utter rubbish.

The stewards made the right decision ………….. eventually.

Well done to Dylan Thomas – a bit disappointing though that a horse like Youmzain admirable as he is can come second. Soldier Of Fortune and Zambezi Sun were flops. As for Authorized, no idea what happened to him. Very good horse but obviously capable of throwing in the odd poor performance.

thebroons
    • Total Posts 29

i was angry at the way fallon used the whip on dylan thomas,he was slapping him down the neck, i always thought dylan thomas was a honest horse he did not deserve to be whipped like that.

• Total Posts 2440

Frankie rode Authorized like a pratt i think, personally. However, is anyone else suprised at how little Authorized found when asked to go on by Frankie? ? ?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Frankie gave Authorized far too much to do IMO. He’s a classy animal, but to give an Arc field 12l of a start 2 or 3f out is asking a bit much.

All praise to DT though. Very game. Perhaps Fallon wasn’t quite so spur of the moment after all when he declared him "the best he’s ridden". Retire him now! (or at least go for the Supreme Novices! :wink:)

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Dettori says Authorized was beaten before the start. He then goes on to say it could’ve been the track. Just shows how much nonsense jockeys talk.

I don’t think the ride was that bad (not perfect no) but Authorized looked to be cantering most of the way but when he was asked he found absolutely nothing.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

"Not surprised to see the forum’s official Ballydoyle PR person respond to my post. Does the saying "everybody has a price" come to mind. "

Not surprised to see Cormack or someone edit that extremely wreckless posting….I presume you have it on authority that John Magnier or Michael Tabor (who were not in the stewards room) have offered the French stewards a reward for letting them keep the race….something which they couldnt do with the likes of Antonius Pius, Aristotle, etc.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I think that, because it’s the biggest race in France, they wanted the best horse in the race to keep it.

Had it been a G3, I reckon he would have been demoted for affecting the finishing positions of SoF & ZS.

IMO, the plus side is that DT is an Arc-winning class horse and deserves to take his places as the champion horse of europe.

And, in his defence, the other 2 horses were already beaten and DT would have kept the race in either Ireland or the UK. So, it’s not like it’s a miscarriage of justice.

Steve

Participant
    • Total Posts 735

Seeing as SOF is a galloper I was expecting him to kick on earlier, and was slightly disappointed with him. As for Authorized, just dont know, held up, challenged into the straight, found nothing.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Arc fall out.

Before the race, I was telling my girlfriend (who knows very little about racing) about how good, in fact, how world class Kieran Fallon is, and how that Frankie Dettori, allbeit a great jockey, is not in Fallon’s class.

The race. Fallon has Dylan in exactly the right position, whereas Dettori, despite Authorized not being good enough on the day anyway, gives his mount far too much to do – an appalling ride in my opinion.

Frankie comes in and says he was beat at half way. Was that an excuse for the poor ride he gave the fav – the horse looked to be travelling extremely well to me.

Had a few beers so won’t go over the top at the risk of upsetting people, but I’m glad an older horse won the race – great advert for keeping horses in training instead of them winning a classic and retiring them at 3. Racehorses are bred to race, so let them bloody race.

Have a good evening all.

Mike

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

The first four came from off the pace. SoF was the only one who finished close up after being up with it. Authorized wasn’t in that bad a position taking that into account – if he’d turned up on the day he would have gone close. He was given a similar ride at Epsom.

Cian
    • Total Posts 81

I’m very pleased that DT was vindicated. The thing is, he was let go early on the premise that Authorized would quicken as usual. That’s why Youmzain got so close. Fallon in the circumstances gave him a masterful ride.

DT has proven himself as the best 1m4 in the world. I wish the ground was good and Authorized didnt pull a stinker and Manduro turned up.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I don’t think the ride Authorised got had anything to do with his failure. Remember before the Derby when PCH was telling us that he was pleased Authorised was working poorly at home as spectacular work, in his opinion, meant that a horse was going over the top. All week we’ve been hearing how brilliantly he’s been working…..
    SOF got very warm beforehand- I remembered watching him down at the start that John Francome said once that a horse will never perform if it sweats up badly between the legs, I’ve never seen him proven wrong.
    I was delighted DT kept the race even though it cost me money- his name on the roll of honour is much more just than a horse beaten fair and square. You’d have to think that the fact that the eyes of the world were on them helped the French stewards to do the right thing. Thinking back, the ground was probably no worse than when DT won the King George. On my theory that you need a break in your season to win the Arc , APOB keeps confounding all normal limits to horse endurance and his handling of DT and Peeping Fawn this year is testimony once again to his unparallelled genius.
    Silliest thing I heard today? Dave Duggan sayong that Zambesi Sun must have had a setback because he wasn’t seen from the Grand Prix de Paris to his Arc trial!

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Before the race, I was telling my girlfriend (who knows very little about racing) about how good, in fact, how world class Kieran Fallon is, and how that Frankie Dettori, allbeit a great jockey, is not in Fallon’s class.

The race. Fallon has Dylan in exactly the right position, whereas Dettori, despite Authorized not being good enough on the day anyway, gives his mount far too much to do – an appalling ride in my opinion.

Come off it!. Never seen Fallon out of position?

Got to watch race again (only seen it down the bookies) but despite controversy, its a testament to DT and his trainer to come and win after such a long season.

Is there something wrong with PCH’s stable though?

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

But isn’t Epsom an easy track to make up lengths, especially in the Derby, where they go off like scalded cats, and a horse of Authorized’s class was well capable of making up the ground.

The Arc and Longchamp is a completely different story. There are not many 1m4f races where they say the draw is all important, because if you have a draw that means you have to sit in,it’s very hard to make up ground. The Arc is also, unlike the Derby, it’s full of proven top class race winners. Surely you can’t give a field of that calibre that start Frankie did – and most of all, he didn’t even get to the rail as was expected if he was to drop the horse to the rear. He dropped the horse to the rear, and stayed wide – bizare in my opinion :shock:

Mike

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.