The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arc 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Arc 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I think too many people fail to differentiate between the PR persona of Dettori and the "real life" persona.

As is the case with other "characters" the two sides are not always the same.

I could imagine Mr Dettori is very difficult to work with.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I cannot give you the specifics but a couple of years ago Frankie was given instructions how to ride a specific race.He was in effect told to hug the rail and he chose to come up the middle of the track or visa versa.There was an "open" disagreement with the sheik that day.Things were never the same after that.

• Total Posts 433

I think too many people fail to differentiate between the PR persona of Dettori and the "real life" persona.

As is the case with other "characters" the two sides are not always the same.

I could imagine Mr Dettori is very difficult to work with.

I’m sure you are right there Paul. Isn’t it true that most really talented people have a strange quirkiness about them?
    I still think it’s unfair of Godolphin to put Frankie through this ‘public humiliation’. In my opinion if they are not happy with him, they should just dispense with his services altogether.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

It’s almost certain the behind-the-scenes tensions between Dettori and Godolphin will burst into the open very soon.

I’m sure we can expect a terse statement soon that he will be severing his links with Godolphin and leaving at the end of the season to become a freelance or to work in some other capacity.

No doubt there will also be the usual eulogy to his valuable services over the years and the vague promise that he will ride for them "when available".

He is known to be difficult to work with, his public image of being a cheeky chappy is, like that of Willie Carson, very different from the reality and, despite what television viewers might mistakenly think, his dealings with the press can often be very strained and marked by shows from him of brooding hostility and suspicion.

The carefully crafted image of a happy-go-lucky joker who is happiest when doing flying dismounts and kissing the camera is very wide of the mark to those who know the real Frankie.

Having said that, it’s great that he will be riding Camelot. I’m sure he will give the horse a great ride and will prove that the critics who say he is too old are wrong.

If it marks the beginning of the end of Joseph O’Brien’s stranglehold over the top rides for Coolmore, some good will have come of Frankie’s booking.

Rabscallion
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9

Certainly been a gentleman with the fans every time I’ve seen him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Stall 7 for Great Heavnes, that’ll do nicely.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I cannot give you the specifics but a couple of years ago Frankie was given instructions how to ride a specific race.He was in effect told to hug the rail and he chose to come up the middle of the track or visa versa.There was an "open" disagreement with the sheik that day.Things were never the same after that.

I believe you are referring the ride on Dubawi in the QE2. He followed Rakti against instructions, before realising Starcraft was the danger and switching too late.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

quite why camelot is trading as favourite is beyond me. not only was he soundly beaten last time out, but his general form has looked worse and worse as the season has gone on, and i think you need to look beyond the three year olds. they just haven’t been a great bunch this year. :shock:

the two i like are meandre, who’s and extremely consistent horse in a race where many of the principles have question marks, and sea moon.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

as for great heavens, i’ll be astonished if she troubles the judge. 3 year old british trained fillies just don’t win arcs. the closest i can think of was user friendly, as she was a far better horse than the gosden filly.

parlo
    • Total Posts 196

Draws of Arc-Starters (in bold):

1 Sea Moon

M. Stoute R. Moore
    2 St Nicholas Abbey

A. O’Brien J. O’Brien
    3 Méandre

A. Fabre M. Guyon
    4 Mikhail Glinka

A. Shavuyev M. Demuro
    5 Robin Hood

A. O’Brien C. O’Donogue
    6 Orfèvre

Y. Ikee C. Soumillon
    7 Aventino

Y. Ikee A. Crastus
    8 Shareta

A. de Royer Dupré C. Lemaire
    9 Haya Landa

Mme L. Audon F. Blondel
    10 Solemia

C. Laffon-Parias O. Peslier
    11 Bayrir

A. de Royer Dupré G. Mossé
    12 Kesampour

M. Delzangles G. Benoist
    13 Camelot

A. O’Brien L. Dettori
    14 Masterstroke

A. Fabre M. Barzalona
    15 Ernest Hemingway

A. O’Brien S. Heffernan
    16 Saônois

J.-P. Gauvin A. Hamelin
    17 Yellow and Green

N. Clément T. Thulliez
    18 Great Heavens

J. Gosden W. Buick

Participant
    • Total Posts 819

St Nicholas Abbey has probably as good a form as any.

5th last year in a better looking race, given too much to do in 2 of his last 3 races and no chance behind Frankel though still running well.

Not sure if he’ll handle the ground, but if Joseph gives him a chance 14/1 with Coral seems a decent EW price.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

People like the Sheik who are used to their orders being obeyed without question can have difficulty living with anyone who challenges them.The old tradition is to let Lester,or Mick,Pat or Willie decide how to win the race.Had Frankie won that day it might have been easier to forgive him.Most old world owners let the trainer and the jockey take care of the riding and training.They pay the bills and enjoy the day’s racing.

• Total Posts 1533

ST Nick wouldn’t want it too soft and neither would camelot

Sea Moon will love it but has a poor draw

Solemia goes on it

Orfevre has won on it but is better on good ground plus he has a poor draw

Shareta could be withdrawn she hates soft ground

Great Heavens needs to prove she has the class but will love the ground

Saonis unknown

I’m sticking with Orfevre and Sea MoonI I just prefer the Japanese horse as he has the bit more mid race pace than Sea Moon to help him overcome being drawn on the outside.

However would love to see St Nicholas Abbey win so young Joseph can give all his doubters the finger :P

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The question I keep asking myself is,if Joseph could do the weight would Frankie have gotten the ride? In other words does Aidan believe that Joseph is as good as Frankie?

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

This year’s renewal has suffered from some late defections but it has arguably given the race a more competitive look.

Sea Moon; Has consistently come up short at this level. His Hardwicke win was against group 2 performers despite it looking impressive. Clearly not the easiest horse to train given his light record. Was originally earmarked for the Canadian International and may only be in the line-up to give his owner representation in the race.
    St Nicholas Abbey; Won on his debut in similar conditions but said by his trainer to prefer a sound surface. His best form is on top of the ground.
    Meandre; In good heart earlier in the season when landing the Grand-Prix de Saint Cloud. He looked to have every chance against Orfevre in the Foy and his trainer is not confident of reversing the placings.
    Mikhail Glinka; Globetrotter who has won in 4 countries but highly unlikely to add France to the list on Sunday.
    Robin Hood; Pacemaker who may not get much chance to do his job.
    Orfevre; After some near misses, the Japanese Triple Crown winner has a touch of class. Some doubts about his effectiveness on the likely going but a worthy favourite.
    Aventino; Pacemaker for Orfevre.
    Shareta; After being a surprise runner-up last year, she has flourished in the second half of this season. Impressive in the Vermeille but it did not look the greatest renewal. Said to be better on a sound surface but should make her presence felt unless it comes up very soft.
    Haya Linda; Her form is well below the required standard.
    Solemia; Despite her improvement this season and distinct liking for soft conditions, she looks below the standard necessary for winning an Arc.
    Bayrir; Lightly raced improving 3yo but comfortably beaten by Saonois in the Niel.
    Kesampour; Has had his limitations exposed at the highest level but the Aga Khan is a solid supporter of the race.
    Camelot; His late inclusion shows that the race is the most important in Europe. Frankie Dettori rides Longchamp very well and unless the ground becomes heavy, he must have every chance.
    Masterstroke; Sadly he does not seem to have the requisite class despite my picking him as Mr Fabre’s Arc colt in early June when he was available at 350 on the exchanges. His granddam won this and as a son of Monsun, any rain would not inconvenience his prospects.
    Ernest Hemingway; Ran as though something amiss in the Dante after looking a colt with huge potential on debut. A long absence since makes his role here uncertain. He could be a second pacemaker but he could run a big race at a massive price.
    Saonois; His victory in the Niel confirmed him as the top French 3yo. The manner of that win was impressive as he quickened past quickening horses. He has form on good to soft but his two runs on a softer surface have been well below form.
    Yellow and Green; Lacks a group 1 victory and looks below top class.
    Great Heavens; A late replacement for her brother, improved rapidly mid-season but has had a lay-off since. Entitled to need the run and there has to be a doubt that she will be spot-on for this.

Since Sagacity won in 1998, no horse has won without having previously won at the highest level. He had missed most of the season having beaten dual-Derby winner Dream Well early season and again in the Niel. The French have never gone longer than 3 years without winning their most prestigious race so are very much due.

The Niel is the most important trial for this race and Saonois was most impressive in winning. Camelot looked very uncomfortable in the Irish Derby on terrible ground. Masterstroke has had a couple of confidence boosting wins and is handled by the peerless Andre Fabre. Even so he does not look good enough. Orfevre has been trained for this, he is a classy animal but not without his issues.
    I am really disappointed that Pastorius is not running as he would have every chance, but he is Ascot-bound.

Unless it comes up very soft I expect Saonois to win for France.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Heavy rain forecast for Paris all through Saturday plus light rain for Sunday, it might well come up heavy.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

There are none so blind as those who will not see.Would Joseph be on Camelot, the wonder horse, according to Aidan,instead of Frankie if he could have done the weight.Is he a better jockey than Frankie?If Joseph wins the Arc I will welcome the finger!

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.