The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arc 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Arc 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 647

I took the 14s for GREAT HEAVENS i hope she gets supplemented she love these conditions as well.

Agree Darren, she’ll love the ground, great news she’s been supplemented think she’s a bostin bet a 16’s (currently with Corals) :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Anyone have any thoughts on why Shareta is three times the price of Orfevre when the former ran the better race on trials weekend ?

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Anyone have any thoughts on why Shareta is three times the price of Orfevre when the former ran the better race on trials weekend ?

The probable going, her trainer has categorically stated that she needs a sound surface to produce her best. After she won the Yorkshire Oaks he said that she would likely miss the Arc as the ground invariably came up too soft for her.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Does anyone know when the draw for this takes place?

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

• Total Posts 433

As for Frankie,he should make a break from Godolphin and go freelance…..he would be much in demand and it would be better than the current humiliating situation where he can’t know if he’s coming or going.

I feel very sorry for Frankie in the circumstances. The other week he was riding at the small meetings while the ‘new boys’ tried to grab the glory on the best horses. I think it’s a poor way for him to be treated by Godolphin. If there’s been any friction I haven’t read about it and it would no doubt be kept quiet by Godolphin anyway! I would be happy to see Frankie be freelance, but it’s not my opinion that counts!! :)

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

He’s on three at Belmont on Saturday afternoon. Dashing about in planes, grubbing around for spares worldwide, so unbecoming.

• Total Posts 1533

Ginger reckons it’s Monday :D

It’s on Friday but Graeme Cunningham makes a good point that it’s not so much of an advatage in small fields especially when the ground is riding soft and the front runners don’t go so fast.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I took the 14s for GREAT HEAVENS i hope she gets supplemented she love these conditions as well.

Agree Darren, she’ll love the ground, great news she’s been supplemented think she’s a bostin bet a 16’s (currently with Corals) :D

Gosden has finally seen sense. His Arc record is nothing to shout about but this is clearly worth a shot, with all the absentees and Camelot being the probable favourite at ridiculous odds.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

• Total Posts 1533

I think that Frankie’s time is certainly coming to an end with Godolphin, and wouldn’t be remotely surprised if he retired if he wins on Camelot.
    Personally thought that he was a better P.R. exercise for racing, than he ever was as a jockey.
    An intriguing twist would be if he was installed as the new stable jockey at Ballydoyle !
    Imagine the Coolmore : Godolphin rivalry then.

I’d agree he’s a great asset to racing vie PR but I would like to think he’s every bit as good a jockey as you are ever likely to come across.

He’s cocky in and out of the saddle and that very often goes hand in hand with genius. It is no fluke that it 1996 he rode 7 winners from 7 mounts for 4 different trainers at one of the toughest racetracks in the world. A track where most trainers jockeys and owners alike can only dream of having a winner

I think you are quick to forget just how good a jockey he was in his hay day.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

The probable going, her trainer has categorically stated that she needs a sound surface to produce her best. After she won the Yorkshire Oaks he said that she would likely miss the Arc as the ground invariably came up too soft for her.

That shouldn’t be the explanation because in all likelihood Orfevre doesn’t want soft ground either.

The reason for the difference is that plenty of guessers were on the Japanese horse at big prices and once shortened bookmakers are only now pushing it out. Punters have basically favoured the unknown as opposed to what is deemed solid but exposed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Orfevre prefers much quicker going and was more than 4 seconds slower over C&D a few weeks ago.

Just think she’s overpriced compared to the Japanese horse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

I think Meandre is overpriced at 16/1, he’s twice the price of Shareta but he had her 1 3/4 lengths behind in The Prix du Saint-Cloud earlier this season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

Taking nothing away from Tom Queally but wouldn’t it have been nice to see Frankie ride Frankel though? He’d have melted on the horse :lol:

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

What kind of price are you expecting?!! He did still win the guineas and derby!!

3/1 – 7/2 seems ok to me. it wasn’t as if he was tailing off in the leger was it.

anybody who puts the likes of sea moon et all, with the exception of orfevre, in front of camelot, needs there head checking.

You’ve misunderstood me really Del. (Or I’ve worded my post poorly more like.) I actually think 100/30 could well prove to be a cracking price about Camelot. By questions I meant regarding his current well being and the sort of treatment he’ll get in running from the locals.

Generally speaking I don’t back horses at those odds. I like a much bigger price. I’m not a massive gambler and I cant see the point of backing short priced horse with the sort of pin money I generally lay out. If I think a horse is likely to win but it has a price like Camelot’s 100/30 I usually just watch the race instead. The only time I will gamble at odds of less than about 5/1 is when I’m already up on the day and playing with the bookies money. As with Ortensia recently.

If I happen to have a bet on the day in an earlier race and find myself a few quid up I may lump on. :wink:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Great Heavens has a HUGE shout in this, I was praying she’d be supplemented.

Let the rain keep falling in France 8)

• Total Posts 638

Until recently I had always assumed that, at the end of his riding career, Frankie would move ‘upstairs’ within the Godolphin organisation in an ambassadorial or management role. It seemed to make sense with his charm, knowledge, media skills and also his steeliness when required. It promised to be a mutually benefical arrangement and lets face it, in terms of return on investment, Godolphin is an organisation with significant room for improvement.

The last 12 months though have made me think that I have got that all wrong. Whilst it is sensible to develop young talent and have succession plans in place, with their actions (never their words) they seem to have gone out of their way to embarrass Frankie in public, through the riding arrangements and pecking order in important races.

Unless there has already been (pre Camelot) some offence that Frankie is deemed to be guilty of, then the treatment he has received recently is not worthy of his service, contribution or current skills.
    In my view, he was (and remains) a huge talent and if anything his PR skills have distratced from his standing as a jockey rather than illuminated them. Make no mistake, he is a colossal figure in British racing in the last 30 years.

With the potential upside to Coolmore breeding revenues via a Camelot victory on Sunday and the ‘zero sum’ nature of the Godolphin Vs Coolmore operations…then Mr Dettori’s decision to take the ride in the Arc is most probably a suicide note on his Godolphin career and it is likely indicates that Godolphin management had already communicated their future plans or Frankie had drawn the unavoidable and barely concealed inevitability.

MYOPIA
    • Total Posts 3

Camelot is a false price– he may have won the Guineas and 2 Derbys but what has he beaten?????
    Lets hope the Japs arrive ala Deep Impact and swell the PMU pool.
    Then there will be some value and given a decent draw–10 or lower–GREAT HEAVENS[3f,8-8] and Wm.Buick is the pick to win a first Arc for John Gosden. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.