The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

“preview circuit darling”

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2023 “preview circuit darling”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Three words that tell you the Racing Post has irrevocably lost the plot where the Cheltenham Festival is concerned.

You surely reach the point of no return once you start believing the endless succession of excruciating Cheltenham Festival preview nights are somehow “news.”

Please….make….it….STOP.

The actual Festival and the actual racing can’t come too soon.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 1508

I’m afraid that I have very little interest in Cheltenham now.
    Not really sure why to be honest.

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

They were good fun when they were run by local racing clubs, or by amateurs, often on behlf of charity. But they’ve been taken over by bookmakers, racecourses and the media, running them as commercial propositions and using a revolving cast of ‘preview pros’.

Pretty much the same route as that taken by the festival, bigger, brasher, more commercial, less amateur involvement. I also find it harder to get excited by it all these days, maybe that’s down to my age. Or perhaps it’s just the loss of the characters that made the event interesting, that made you care who won.

Who would rather invite for a drink, or afternoon tea – the owners of Arkle, Bula, Dawn Run, Desert Orchid – or Mr Ryanair and Richie Rich?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“good fun” – we all have our personal definitions of that and none of us is right and none of us is wrong.

They’ve always existed, but they weren’t thrust under your nose quite so much – being a deeply-unsociable individual (my answer to Alan’s concluding question is: “none of them”) I’ve never been a member of a racing club and I was happy to let them quietly occur for those who enjoyed attending them.

But you can’t move for them on social media nowadays and it just makes me want the talking to stop and the actual racing to start.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

TRF Preview went something like this

Cormack “Welcome to TRF preview, joining me today is Mike007, Gingertipster, Steeplechasing and Ian Davies. Welcome lads”

Cormack “Lets kick off with everyone’s best bets for the meeting”?

Mike007 “Mighty Potter at 500/1, had him at 2 days before he was born”

Gingertipster “Haven’t had a bet yet, value is everything, we don’t know the final line ups, value is everything, the going can change, value is everything”

Steeplechasing “Ahoy Senor, Allez, Allez, Allez…. Allez, Allez, Allez”

Ian Davies “I ******* hate Hughesey”

Cormack “Great, moving on to who wins the Gold Cup”?

Mike007 “Galopin Des Champs backed him for this after he took his first breath”

Gingertipster “Value is everything, I want to see them going to post, value is everything, I need to see them milling around at the start, value is everything, need to see what jumps out in front and what speed they go and who gets into a rhythm and value is everything”

Steeplechasing “Ahoy Senor, Allez, Allez, Allez…. Allez, Allez, Allez”

Ian Davies “I ******* hate Hughesey”

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Oh Nathan that was quality!! Gave me a right laugh!!!!

I find preview evenings further indicate the contempt by which trainers and ‘insiders’ hold the general punting public, a trainer could have a right plot job in a handicap and you can bet your last pound they’ll tip up every horse they have running apart from the one good thing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Agree that preview nights are rubbish and boring.

But I would have paid to watch the one Nathan described.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

This is why Hughesey beats Chezza in polls every f*****g time – yet more comedy genius, absolutely hilarious, not least because it’s EXACTLY how it would have panned out.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

It’s all a bit racey for me – even Gnats preview had my teeth grinding away at the gingery bits and my ❤️ skipped a couple of feet.

I’m popping out and going for a quiet lie down in the snow in a sheltered spot that suits my pulse, and I will hope to sleep, perchance to dream in the knowledge there is war of words going on in the distance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Caught the last half hour of the mercifully last Road To Cheltenham. Lydia Hislop said JP McManus’s Martinstown is in Cork. Ruby Walsh intervened and told her it is in Limerick.

Hislop must have apologised about four times. Was it really that important? I doubt anyone was offended.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.