The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prestbury Cup – how many will UK get?

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2024 Prestbury Cup – how many will UK get?

Viewing 12 posts - 18 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I think it’s hilarious – the 1/9 Ireland to win this was the four-day bank interest rate beater of the year and the 4/6 Ireland -10.5 on the handicap is looking good too.

Ditto the 11/8 with one firm Mullins to beat GB on his own – current score six-three.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 1929

Much better from the Brits. Would be even closer if Nicky and the Hendersons were involved. Sir Gino would have made it 12-10 going into the rest of Friday’s card, lets see what happens but I’d say if Britain lose by 2 then that has to be considered unlucky.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

Final scores

Willie 9
    Rest of Ire 9
    GB 9

To be fair to the Skeltons I probably should have counted them at 4 and RoGB 5 but the above had a pleasing symmetry to it.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

It was closer than I thought it’d be. Honourable mention to Skelton and to Jeremy Scott for downing the Irish good things in the mares novice. Considering Henderson’s no show its been a decent effort all round. Willie’s not been as dominant as I thought either I was expecting double figures comfortably. He’s probably not exactly crying about it having landed most of the big ones, Champion Chase the one that got away. He’s not fussed about handicaps really except the County, so many of his go off too short in handicap chases when we should just remember he doesn’t care about Cheltenham handicap chases.

PS Rest of Ireland would have won if the X Country took place.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

9 winners with Henderson almost literally not at the races and Nicholls only getting 1 was a good effort.

Skelton drew some criticism for the handicap wins but he deserves a lot of credit for sending Protektorat to the Ryanair. He could easily have been pig headed and gone for the Gold Cup but he was realistic enough to recognise the horse had no chance.

I wonder if Nicholls will accept Bravemansgame cannot win a Gold Cup and send him to the Ryanair next season?

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

I thought the exact same thing before the Gold Cup was run about Bravemansgame Cork. Its not just the trip its that its a slightly weaker race. From what I understood of interviews beforehand Skelton was always leaning towards the Ryanair, he needed to convince John Hales who wanted a Gold Cup horse.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

BMG hasn’t looked the same horse since last year’s GC , yesterday was never going to play to his strengths , it’ll be all about the KG , maybe go there after 1 prep , after that maybe bypass Cheltenham and go to the Aintree bowl , Nicholls likes that race

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Nicholls ran both Silvianco Conti and Clan Des Obeaux plenty of times at Cheltenham before finally admitting they did not like it. I hope he is not going to be stubborn with Bravemansgame as well. He is not going to win a Gold Cup at the third attempt, even if Galopin Des Champs does not run. But he could go well in the Ryanair.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

BMG is a 3m horse at most, that just isn’t a strong enough stayer at 3m2f to win a Gold Cup a la One Man, Florida Pearl & Wayward Lad etc

To be honest I was surprised he didn’t finish further back or was even PU as Harry was niggling at him on the first circuit and had to push him up alongside GDC as they went out on the 2nd circuit and the fact that he only ended up 3L off 4th placed LHP says much to the horse’s courage.

I do think last year’s Gold Cup ultimately took its toll because if you watch that last 75-100yds he was virtually walking – I honestly think if they do go back next year, it should be in the Ryanair (like Protektorat) or maybe miss it altogether and next season go Charlie Hall/King George/Aintree Bowl/Punchestown Gold Cup….he will be 10 next season so they need to make the most of his chances and forget the Gold Cup.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

With fact or file now in the equation hard to see any brit challenger next march.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

Hope Il Est Français lives up to the rep and comes for this

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Indeed. Probably not stay the trip but looks tailor made for k george.

Viewing 12 posts - 18 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.