The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Pick one record

Home Forums Lounge Pick one record

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

That summarises everything you like best in music

Its pure soul. It completely takes you over. I cant think of anything like it

Extraordinary wall of sound from one of the very very few who could be called a genius. The hypnotic Brazilian backing, the absolute heart rending vocals and lyrics, the crashing crescendos, those horns coming in and out keeping you entranced for 8 mins. Even a cameo from a the great Bobbie Humphrey on flute towards the end. Stevie handles the rolling intensity like no one else.

This piece of brilliance grabs and transports you like very few records can and do

And it follows the gorgeous As on what many think was the finest album anyone has ever made

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2639

Good question. Took me a while but it has to be Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen.

Can’t help but stop and turn the radio up as soon as I hear ‘dun, dun-dun-dun’. The thing builds until it feels like it could carry you down the street. It even makes a saxophone sound good.

Would like to see one of he and his band’s famously long live performances. They overran by about 10 minutes at Glastonbury and Michael Eavis said the fine from the local council busybody curtain twitchers was worth every penny or something to that effect.

Participant
    • Total Posts 12748

I suppose I’d have to pick Nutbush City Limits as it was the song playing
    when I met my wife in the White Elephant on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow.
    She caught my eye and I asked my mate to dance her friend so I could dance
    with her.

That was back in 1973. I was 17, although I told her I was 21 (jeez the
    problems that caused later) We married 3 years later and that’s been us
    for 46 years.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Nice choices. I was expecting def leopard or the wurzels here

The other half adores Springsteen. I’m more soul jazz but I get him. Both to run is magnifcent. I love it.

Nutbush is fabulous early funk. Never ages

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2639

I see where you’re coming from. Nothing wrong with appreciating class where you see it whilst not necessarily being a fan as such.

Can’t really think of many artists I’m particularly fanatical about to be honest, I like what I like and that’s it. I’ll give most things a chance.

Funny you should mention Def Leppard, I do have a soft spot for Pour Some Sugar on Me, wonderfully daft track.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6774

Impossible to decide.

It depends on my mood and also what period of my life to choose from.

Will follow with interest though with peoples contributions.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Yeah. I never got the rock music thing of hero worship. Middle aged men getting the horn for Ed sheeran or whatever. Soul is devoid of that and more about the label. Philly stax etc

Exception would be the beatles who if anything were underrated. I’m still astonished by their range and creativity over just seven years. Perhaps john Coltrane too who stuns me

If anything the hero’s were the great composers. Back Mozart Beethoven just leave me staggered by their genius. The sophistication of Bach for instance with that multilayered brilliance that can never get repetitive makes modern music look like a chimpanzee thumping an oil drum

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2639

Art is like that as well, some of the stuff they used to come out with 3,4,500 years ago is staggering. You can look at some paintings for ages and still keep spotting something you missed. Now it’s Damien Hirst pickling a dead sheep or Tracy bloody Emin throwing used tampons around. **** off.

Do agree about the Beatles, absolute brilliance. You’d struggle to come up with that in 50 years, never mind seven.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Art is but detail can be overrated. Another story. Im not too entranced by Hirst but Emin is wonderful. I adore her stuff and I will say that if you see the Hirst Sheeps and sharks first time they leave quite an impact

A Canaletto will appeal to many because of the serenity and detail but leaves me a little cold. Not many would like Franz Kline abstracts and they seemed a little too basic compared with even Pollock and Twombley at first but when I saw a couple (in the best exhibition of last 10 years imo) I went back and back and back

And thats what its about really. They had an huge impact

https://milenaolesinska77.medium.com/action-painting-franz-kline-516f4275bae8

Participant
    • Total Posts 12748

It’s strange the initial impression you can get about someone. You can make your mind
    up in a flash. He/she is off their trolly, it’s bizarre for the sake of being bizarre.
    Is that a good thing?

Like Richard when I first saw Tracy Emin’s unmade bed I just thought she, and the art
    world hierarchy were off their heads. However I saw a documentary where she came
    across as incredibly articulate, honest and inciteful. She has had an incredible life,
    quite traumatic, which probably explains some of her art work, sculpture and paintings.

To be honest I still don’t get the unmade bed, but I do get some of her work, most often
    about uncomfortable subjects, abuse, she was abused by her mother and brother, menopause,
    her cancer. She is an interesting woman and there’s more to her than meets the eye.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Great choices so far guys

This has to be mine

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Nice to see clive shouting out classical music too, anyone been to the BBC proms? Went a couple of times with a few mates on mushrooms a while back, had an absolute blast.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

I’ve been ben but not on mushrooms. Not the last night which is not me but other nights certainly.

It’s good value but Albert hall isn’t a fav venue and murder of like me, vertigo is an issue

But seem some wonderful stuff there and it has its own atmosphere

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Bigg.

Tracy can do the most delicate drawings but also extremely vivid. It is one of those artists who’s work you have to see for real given so much of it is textural.

Same does go for hirst but he’s been out of new ideas for far too long

Tracy is brilliant imo

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Yeah I don’t think I’d enjoy the last night either, looks like a bit of a cringe fest tbh!

It’s certainly a unique venue, feels like you’ve gone back it time when you’re sat there listening to all that old music, fortunately we sit in the lower section, only £30 for tickets if memory serves me right and you’re right by the stage like you said it’s good value. I’m going to try and go this year havent been in ages, herbal brownies I think will be this years poison for the event.

We did MDMA for it once and I certainly wouldn’t recommend that again lol.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2639

It’s all subjective. A lot of modern art doesn’t do it for me. With film I’m the opposite, not much interest in most of the old stuff. Anyway I digress, more ‘one records’ please as it is a very good question.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

I’d agree with Matron that it’s a next to impossible choice, not made any less impossible by my love of a broad range of genres. If forced I’d say that ’60s/’70s Soul is a very close runner-up to Electric Blues at the top of the beautiful and bountiful tree

Taj Mahal’s rendition of Statesboro’ Blues epitomises the latter. The world would be a dull place without the Stratocaster and Telecaster

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.