The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Peter Marsh Chase

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Peter Marsh Chase

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Not a brilliant race for the prize money but interesting nevertheless. If Turpin Green could recapture his form last year, especially the 2nd behind Star De Mohaison at Aintree he surely would win this without much hassle, but he is very hit and miss and disappointed when fancied by many including connections when pulled up early in the Hennesey.

Was a problem ever found with him after that run does anyone know?

Wild Cane Ridge is proven  in the mud and should relish this stamina test. Len Lungo sounded pretty confident when speaking at Newcastle the other day, so many things in his favour. But is he as good as this hanicap mark suggests? Only getting 2lbs from Turpin Green. I think it is a stiff ask for him on the weights.

The one who i like is Leading Man, he copes with conditions, jumps well and stays further than this, so it ought to be no problem for him. Connections are considering a tilt at the Gold Cup if he can win/run very well in this. He won well at Wetherby last time and was well punted as if they expected that. Perhaps a horse coming back into form, an i know he is very well fancied tomorrow. My only concern is that if Turpin Green was on a going day i don’t think Leading Man will be good enough.

The Outlier is the only other one in the handicap proper, loves the gorund and will stay so has to come into calcualtions off a low weight but this company may just stretch him.

Snakebite has shown ability and looks to be improving and Irish Rapter always seems to run his race  but they have plenty to find IMO.

any opinions on this?

(Edited by Stormont at 2:42 pm on Jan. 19, 2007)<br>

(Edited by Stormont at 2:44 pm on Jan. 19, 2007)

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5112

Quote: from Stormont on 2:40 pm on Jan. 19, 2007[br]

any opinions on this?

Sorry for the flippant reply but my opinion would be to spend valuable time today studying Wincanton’s card and save Haydock’s for tomorrow morning when the decision will have been taken to race or not.

More rain is forecast AND it appears more gales as well, though not as severe as yesterday.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Just put the five day forecast for Haydock Park up, shouldnt have any problems with the wet, just light showers forecast, the winds that are forecast are no where near as strong as the other day, coming from a south westerly direction, so should be good, warm, drying winds too.

Pretty confident it will be on, although the BBC aren’t the best when it comes to forecasting, but that is all we can go on.

Wincanton looked tricky, but i only had a quick glance

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5112

Stormont, Haydock are inspecting at 7.00am, see Ceefax P663 for details. Reckon it will be touch and go myself, and I for one would also like to know how many fences will be omitted before pricing up as fencing after all is what chasing is all about: witness todays messy chases at Musselburgh.

Just don’t like wasted effort, hence my advice to wait until tomorrow before delving into the formbook.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

I live about 5 miles from Haydock, at the moment it’s raining and has been doing for the past 3 or so hours.  

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Quote: from Irish Stamp on 5:37 pm on Jan. 19, 2007[br]I live about 5 miles from Haydock, at the moment it’s raining and has been doing for the past 3 or so hours.  

Shame………… would really like to see this card go ahead tomorrow.

Lets hope it stops raining now and there is a good breeze over night to dry it out a little.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I’d be a layer in the "will racing go ahead" market.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Has stopped now mind so fingers crossed for it.  It has been cancelled before, wish they’d move this card instead of trying to move the VC Chase – have a lovely 3m handicap chase next week at Cheltenham along with a Graded hurdle at 2m, Graded novices chase and a Graded novice hurdle – that together with the current card at Cheltenham would be perfect for "Trials Day"

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Given Kirkland Tellwright’s ‘previous’ for cocking up the going reports I assumed it would be called off the moment he said he was "optimistic". I’m convinced his office is in Surrey and that he has never even been to Haydock.   :)

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from Mounty on 9:04 pm on Jan. 19, 2007[br]I’m convinced his office is in Surrey and that he has never even been to Haydock.   :)

<br>:biggrin:

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I can’t believe you are having a go at Kirkland Tellwright. This is the guy who said on Sprint Cup day when they were putting a substance down on the waterlogged part of the track that they would use fibresand, which he helpfully pointed out ‘is a mixture of fibre and sand’.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from davidjohnson on 9:13 pm on Jan. 19, 2007[br]I can’t believe you are having a go at Kirkland Tellwright. This is the guy who said on Sprint Cup day when they were putting a substance down on the waterlogged part of the track that they would use fibresand, which he helpfully pointed out ‘is a mixture of fibre and sand’.

So that’s why I can’t make money on the AW – my speed figures are based on pure sand!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Apart from the 3 horse non-event at Carlisle, Turpin Green’s better form is on quicker ground than today’s, and I think he will struggle in this.<br> I agree with Stormont that Leading Man looks the likely winner, with Wild Cane Ridge to chase him home.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I’ll be backing Leading Man myself but I think Truckers Tavern could run a big race and is a good each-way bet at the prices.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Can somebody post up (or PM me) the RP forecast for this race. I forgot to note it yesterday. Thanks in advance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.