The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Peter Carberry on Monty’s Moon, 5:30 Uttoxeter….

Home Forums Horse Racing Peter Carberry on Monty’s Moon, 5:30 Uttoxeter….

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 336

Not to make an excuse for the mistake but it was his first ride at the race course.

If nothing else perhaps every young jockey riding a race course for the first time will now check where the finish line is and pick out landmarks.

Next time a striker misses an open goal or a goalie lets one through his legs is there going to be a call to have them banned, after all someone has probably just lost some money because of it.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

I wonder of those who think Carberry should be be banned for months also believe that EVERYONE who makes a mistake at work should be suspended without pay for months with no recourse to tribunals etc, etc.

It depends on what the mistake is and who makes it. If you’re a shelf stacker in a supermarket and you drop a tin of beans then I wouldn’t have thought suspension is the answer.

If you’re a jockey and you’ve gone into that career with your eyes open, holding yourself out to the betting public as competent and professional enough to familiarise yourself with the course you’re riding on any given day and knowing that thousands of pounds ride upon you getting that right then suspension without pay may well be the answer although it won’t be "for months".

We all make mistakes, including at work. If I make one, I’m liable to be sued by my client for negligence. If a jockey makes a mistake, why shouldn’t it have serious consequences?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It’s the severity of the mistake, cjboy; one error doesn’t necessarily equate to another. If Gus’s shelf-stacker dents a tin of beans then Asda will survive, but if he puts raw meat next to cooked meat at the deli counter, then he’s in serious trouble.

Jockeys are human and will slip up from time to time – as we all do – but there are occasions, like this, when it’s simply inexcusable and they’re right to be held to account.

desperatedavid
    • Total Posts 1

This was quite disgraceful to witness, particularly as PC has done this (dropping his hands before the line) before – you only have to put his name into Google and a similar incident in Ireland pops up.

The point is there is money involved; more so now that people can bet ‘in running’. Horse racing without gambling would have few followers. A professional jockey’s job is to ride a horse out to the line, not engage in ‘grandstanding’ to show how smart he is to win narrowly – owners should vote with their feet and give Carberry no rides and the public would not be subjected to this behavior again.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

‘Freeradical’ and ‘CJBOY’ – if both your efforts at missing the point were firework displays, they’d be good enough to bring the curtain down on our very existence. Or maybe you just use very poor analogies, my learned friends.

• Total Posts 980

This was quite disgraceful to witness, particularly as PC has done this (dropping his hands before the line) before – you only have to put his name into Google and a similar incident in Ireland pops up.

The point is there is money involved; more so now that people can bet ‘in running’. Horse racing without gambling would have few followers. A professional jockey’s job is to ride a horse out to the line, not engage in ‘grandstanding’ to show how smart he is to win narrowly –

owners should vote with their feet and give Carberry no rides and the public would not be subjected to this behavior again

Absolutely agree. It’s definitely an owner’s concern what the general public think. No arguments there.

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 410

Worse than what he did happens in 60% of races every day,jocks deliberatly stopping horses and very very rarely do they get banned/caught.

Human error 10 day ban more than enough.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Just seen the replay and it did look as if he mistook the marker where the rails divide as the winning post.

It looks like a genuine mistake but can understand punters being annoyed at him throwing away the race by thinking he had already won it.

• Total Posts 980

Of course, if the horse had had a proper jockey on board, he would’ve been carrying an extra 5lb. Would he have won it then?

With a claimer, you pays your money & takes your chance.

Serious question: If the other incident was in Ireland, why has he got to go visit the BHA? Is it two incidents in any country?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Serious question: If the other incident was in Ireland, why has he got to go visit the BHA? Is it two incidents in any country?

Anthony – the previous case considered by the Stewards on Saturday was in the UK, at Sandown late last year, don’t have my notes to hand but I think it was in November, when he dropped his hands and lost third spot.

mulls74
    Participant
    • Total Posts 149

I was on my first visit to Uttoxeter on Saturday and thought the crowd took it pretty well considering it was a well-backed favourite in the last race. There was a bit of booing but nothing too severe.
    Didn’t see the ‘baying mob’ and I thought the atmosphere was much nicer than spending a Saturday afternoon at somewhere like Haydock – a few people were hammered but not the majority of the crowd like many other tracks.
    I’ll definitely go back. As for Mr Carberry, can see why he did it with the post and track across the road. Given that I’d backed the horse I wasn’t happy – but the other half backed the ‘winner’ so she was thrilled!

• Total Posts 980

Anthony – the previous case considered by the Stewards on Saturday was in the UK, at Sandown late last year, don’t have my notes to hand but I think it was in November, when he dropped his hands and lost third spot.

Right.

Thanks.

MaoriVenture
    • Total Posts 94

about time that the BHA introduced rules allowing the betting public to sue jockeys for negligence who are found guilty of this sort of offence, sorry "mistake", as it keeps getting called.

Do you think any jockey would stop riding before the winning post, take the wrong course, miscount the number of circuits etc ….. ever again if they knew they could be brought to book for 100,000’s, even millions wagered on some races?

• Total Posts 28

Maori – imagine the steward’s room

Steward to jockey "You are here for overuse of the whip, what’s your defense?"

Jockey "I couldn’t afford to be sued for all each-way bets, sir"

Yes the guy has made a bad mistake. A lengthy ban is probably required but as soon you can’t have punters suing jockeys for mistakes where would it end?

• Total Posts 28

Maori – imagine the steward’s room

Steward to jockey "You are here for overuse of the whip, what’s your defense?"

Jockey "I couldn’t afford to be sued for all each-way bets, sir"

Yes the guy has made a bad mistake. A lengthy ban is probably required but as soon you can’t have punters suing jockeys for mistakes where would it end?

MaoriVenture
    • Total Posts 94

finesko, apparently always difficult to prove fraud or negligence in a court of law, so agree that even borderline cases could not be pursued.

But where it is palpable error or clear case of 100% negligence, in most of walks of life, the victim has a right to be compensated.

It can be argued that the punter contributes to the betting levy, and thereby contributes to jockeys wages and owners/trainers prize money amongst other things.

Hence there can be considered to be some sort of "duty of care" in this "contract".

It is in the rules of racing and indicated in a sign in every racecourse weighing room in the country – every jockey must know the course.

Someone mentioned that this was a first ride for Carberry at the track. I would have thought that an even greater incentive for Carberry to have walked the course beforehand, let alone read a course map. Knowing where the start and winning posts are ought to be number 1 on his check list

He appears to have ignored his responsibility to owner, trainer, punters etc to possibly do this as well.

oddson
    • Total Posts 22

Was November. Check Stewards Room at:-

http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resou … ewards.asp and search Peter Carberry.

Sandown, 6 November 2010

The Stewards called before them Peter Carberry, the rider of MAURISCA (FR), placed fourth, and asked him to explain why he appeared to drop his hands shortly before the winning post and was subsequently beaten into fourth place. Having heard his evidence and reviewed a video recording of the race, the Stewards found Carberry to be in breach of Rule (B)59.3.2.1 in that he failed to ride out on a horse that would have finished third. They suspended Carberry for 10 days as follows: Saturday 20, Sunday 21, Monday 22, Tuesday 23, Wednesday 24, Thursday 25, Friday 26, Saturday 27, Sunday 28 and Monday 29 November.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.