The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Paul Nicholls

Home Forums Horse Racing Paul Nicholls

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Initial comments afterwards, clearly revelling in the prestige – "Thats blown Nicky Henderson out of the water now". Classy.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

A bit like the follow the crowd knee jerking on here in the aftermath of the race.

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

Paul Nicholls is a competitive guy, hence his domination of the trainer’s championship. You can’t really blame the fellow for acting in accordance with his personality.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

The ups and downs of racing – wins the National by the narrowest of margins following the fall of Zarkandar and woeful performance from Rock On Ruby.

zanybody
    Participant
    • Total Posts 73

Not the most gracious of comments.

That said just throws into focus the ridiculous prize money for the National in comparison to other races and also that old chestnut regarding the measure used.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I am a rational person, and i know this is wrong – but i can’t stand the sight of the bloke.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Having been on the same table as him some years ago and despite him actually quietly advising me of the following week’s County Hurdle winner, I found him to be a thoroughly unlikeable human being.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I have nothing to base this on but my own eyes and intuition – but when O’Neill was shouting his horse and jockey, my interpretation was he was thinking "The National".

When Nicholls was celebrating after the photo, he was thinking "prize money, trainers title, Henderson blown out the water".

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Having been on the same table as him some years ago and despite him actually quietly advising me of the following week’s County Hurdle winner, I found him to be a thoroughly unlikeable human being.

By the way – was that Sporazene by any chance Eclipse?

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Indeed, but it doesn’t mean he would be invited to a dinner party.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

PR disaster today, his comments regarding horse welfare went down like a lead balloon also, has the gall to call McCririck out over the whip issue but least its over horse saftey wrong or not.

Cant stand John Hales either.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Geez, why so much negativity?

It’s a sport, if you score a few goals or hit a hundered you celebrate..if your team wins the title you get excited and emotional.

Why should horse racing folk be androids?

I’m all for grace but see nothing wrong with Nicholls comments post-race…he’s won the league!!!! …or has he?!

:P

Zip

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

Perhaps there might be a time for a sense of belligerence, but yesterday wasn’t one of them.

Judged on his recent interview on Sky News perhaps someone has pointed that out to him.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I think a big part of Paul Nicholls’ immediate post race reaction had more to do with finally seeing off the challenge of Nicky Henderson in the trainers’ championship than it did with winning the National.

Does anyone else think the race ended in a dead-heat ? It certainly looked that way to me. My conspiracy theory is that a DH was last thing the Aintree stewards or officials wanted or needed – especially in such a world wide public spectacle as the Grand National.

They needed an outright winner, and that’s what we got. :roll:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

Absolutely no malice intended by PN.

Lucky blighter but Nicky will get him next season. 8)

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

I am a rational person, and i know this is wrong – but i can’t stand the sight of the bloke.

He was too busy celebrating to share the moment with his wife.

Gone down in my estimation in recent years but that comment about Henderson was cheap

I hope Nicky smashes his big fat head out of the yard next season

Apologies but it really annoyed me.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

I have nothing to base this on but my own eyes and intuition – but when O’Neill was shouting his horse and jockey, my interpretation was he was thinking "The National".

When Nicholls was celebrating after the photo, he was thinking "prize money, trainers title, Henderson blown out the water".

You could see that when they showed him before the result was announced. He was desperately trying to work out the prize money and where Shakalaka had finished – he even started looking at his programme.

Thoroughly dislikeable response to what was a superb ride from Jacob.

Has anyone seen the photo ?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.