The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Paul Gascoigne Sectioned

Home Forums Lounge Paul Gascoigne Sectioned

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Paul Gascoigne ( aka Gazza ) has been sectioned under the mental health act.

Very sad.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

He was a magnificent footballer in his prime, hope he pulls through.

Here’s a reminder of Gazza in better days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaNThXSn1E0

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8966

Given that The Sun ran a front page headline the other week which read ‘Beadles not about’ I think it is highly likely they WILL take the piss.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

As someone who is closely involved with mental health issues I can tell you if he wasn’t a celebrity he would find it extremely difficult to get the appropriate care that he needs.

Alchemist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

Paul Gascoigne has been sectioned under the mental health act and send sent to an institution for sad retards with no chance of recovery. "We’re deighted to have him back" said Keegan.

Sorry!

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Gascoigne has found it really difficult not being a professional footballer and especially not being the centre of attention anymore. During the nineties when his star glittered from way on high, and when he was the focus of media attention, for him, it probably seemed that it would last forever. The harsh reality soon set in, as the focus switched to new kid on the block, David Beckham.

To counter this and cling on to what headlines he could, Gascoigne resorted to even more bizarre behaviour – like some out of control schoolboy craving attention. Observers would comment that he was "off his rocker" or " mad as hatter" – I wonder, if at the time they knew just how close to the truth those glib words were.

I always thought it was only a matter of time until the professionals moved in to help Gascoigne – the little boy lost.

Now all his old footballing pals and members of the clubs where he once played are quick to come out the woodwork and offer any help they can. Maybe, just maybe, if one or two had intervened before it had reached this stage, Gazza might just have found some direction and purpose in his life.

Ironically, this unfortunate episode may just be the catalyst which helps to re-light his celebrity torch and brings with it the attention he so clearly missses and so dearly craves.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3494

The eye saw him

He passed my bus
    sitting legs akinbo
    in a Rolls Royce
    He was smiling
    whilst holding
    a small triangular glass.
    I was laughing like a drain
    I’d missed my stop
    tring to work out his tailor

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

Ironically, this unfortunate episode may just be the catalyst which helps to re-light his celebrity torch and brings with it the attention he so clearly missses and so dearly craves.

I don’t think his problems are due to him missing being a celebrity. Gazza has had serious obsessive-compulsive disorder since he was young, apparently due to witnessing a boy being runover and killed by a car (I do like my autobiographies-of-troubled-sportsmen, and his is second only to Paul McGrath’s magnum opus). It seems that now he doesn’t have an occupation and no way of filing in the empty hours, they have took over his life and turned him mad.

He should just take up knitting or something IMO.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

It is a very sad case.

I have to be honest and confess that in my younger days I would not have had any sympathy for him at all and would probably have been on here slagging him off etc. etc.

Now I am older, hopefully wiser, having seen much more of life – I have much more sympathy for him.

From what little I do know of him it looks as though he has very few good, genuine, friends to guide him and look out for him, many of his so called friends are more than likely hangers on, basking in his reflected glory.

Mental illness can hit any one of us and it is said there is a very fine line between sanity and insanity.

Radio Five’s Sportsweek had an interview with Frank Bruno yesterday morning, when Gary richardson spoke to him about the problems he faced when he was sectioned.

Now we all know that "our Frank" is not the most articulate of interviewees, however this interview was one of the most moving I have heard in a very long time – radio at its absolutev best.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Mental illness can hit any one of us and it is said there is a very fine line between sanity and insanity.

Mental illness can indeed hit any one of us, and at any time. However, I too recall making the "fine line" comment to a very good friend of mine ( a psychiatrist) who works in a psychiatric unit in Suffolk (and who just so happens to love the sport of kings too ) and he told me that nothing could be further from the truth: that there is in fact a great grey area between sanity and insanity, and is much more complex than simply saying that there is a fine line between the two. That told me and certainly made me think. :oops:

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Marb wrote >>>

"Himself, count yourself lucky that your in a position to be so pompus about the whole issue."

————————————————————————————————————

If you think I am being pompous about the subject, I do apoligise. That certainly was not my intention – but do not assume that I have never been in the position to have been affected (whether directly or indirectly ) with the issue of mental health.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

As you started the thread you obviously do care and are interested by this so I apologise if that comment was harsh as you say it was. I spend time at college and have heard little brats taking the piss out of people with mental problems (one day I was just like them) and I find it quite dull, hence my over reaction to you, sorry. (not that your a brat I just forgot I was talking to your good self. :roll:

No problem, marb.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.