The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Paul Bittar – Daily Telegraph interviews incoming BHA CEO

Home Forums Horse Racing Paul Bittar – Daily Telegraph interviews incoming BHA CEO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horser … uture.html

Interesting reading. He sounds a more accomplished politician than the current fort-holders.

Bittar’s parting shot:
    “I’ll never know why they introduced the new whip rules just before British Champions Day.”

MaoriVenture
    • Total Posts 94

very impressed by his interview with Matt Chapman on ATR last week.
    At least he’s got all his priorities right and looks like might be the right type of character to get British racing in order.

ricky lakericky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

First Job is to fire guy who appointed him …..then point the Gun at Stier, Struthers, and as many more as possible , clear out dead wood and fast …..

2nd job , solve current fiasco on whip rules , get agreement and make racing competitive again

3rd and main job connect with Punters and racegoers, fix funding , and get folks to enjoy the game again by making courses reduce entry fees (dream on Ricky )

4th job , get a proper racing forum on BHA website , free of all bookie adverts , and get good quality feedback from posters ….Pinza to be gagged and bound for 6 months and then let loose to make it interesting ……(kidding mate , please continue to fight for non pc racing )

Good luck to him , he will certainly need it

Ricky

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Bittar’s parting shot:

“I’ll never know why they introduced the new whip rules just before British Champions Day."

Pinza,

I’d be more impressed if he’d omitted the last 5 words.

I certainly wouldn’t criticise Bittar at this stage but as for Chapman’s interview and him describing as the "bees knees" I do recall Chapman expressing similar eulogies for Jamie Stier early in his tenure after speaking to him.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

But it’s a start,

Yeats

! He can hardly say more than that, at least in public.

It’s also clear that Victoria Racing were extremely sorry and surprised to see him go, as he’d been groomed for their top job for some while.

Rather a contrast with the curious circumstances under which

Jamie Steer

resigned rather suddenly in Hong Kong during 2009, apparently succumbing to the pressures of a job

"with limited shelf life"

. His CEO’s praise of him was… well, let’s say notably measured.

I wonder how long Stier will last here once Mr Bittar arrives?

CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

Braveheart "blethered" recently that Ian Barlow had asked to be removed from the Klarion circulation list.

A fair indication of what awaits, Mr Bittar, imo. Good luck to him, he’ll certainly need it.

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4601

Unless "British Racing PLC" is completely and fundamentally restructured then Bittar, no matter how good he is, will achieve absolutely nothing.

He is taking on a poisoned chalice – I wish him luck but, boy, is he going to need it.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

"British Racing PLC" is funded by punters – a group which are entirely ignored by British Racing PLC.

It’s not hard for Bittar to sort the whole mess out but the trainers and owners need to accept that pratting around with handicap marks won’t help matters, nor will moaning about prize money or putting people away whilst the BHA need to realise that everyone is in it for themselves (the bookies, racecourses, trainers, owners, breeders, jockeys etc) and in particuar look at which of these are turning record profits or living in big houses – these are likely to be the ones taking the most money out of racing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4601

"British Racing PLC" is funded by punters – a group which are entirely ignored by British Racing PLC.

I think you will find the amount owners put into racing far exceeds what punters put into racing.

The last BHA Stats show 14,549 horses in training, at a conservative rate of £800 a month training fees, which equates to just shy of £140m a year

The latest Levy has "punter" – actually bookmaker – contributions at an estimated £74m

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

But Paul – the owners get back quite a bit in prize money ( their share (once trainer/jockey share is out) of ca.£84 million in 2010.)

Punters also contribute an additional £14 million to prize money funding through racecourse contributions (which are, obviously, funded by punters going through the gate).

So, total input to racing from punters = £86m
    Input by owners = ca. £70m

Punters 1 Owners 0

http://www.hblb.org.uk/document.php?id=18

Of course, this is a simplistic view (though not quite as simplistic as Paul’s flawed figs) as there are many other factors. Punters contribute indirectly via media rights for example. While owners have to factor in purchase or breeding costs.

Suffice to say both parties (owners AND punters) are significant contributors so BOTH need to be top of any decision-making agendas within the sport.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4601

Corm, you already know my views on the role punters should or, rather, should not have in running the sport and absolutely nothing will sway me from that view.

I would even go as far as to say if punters were given a formal role in the running of the sport that would be the straw that, for me, breaks the camels back and I would walk away from the sport for good.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

I am just about to start a thread to open debate on your views on the role of the punter. I differ from you but that doesn’t stop it being an interesting topic, I’m sure it’ll attract some heated debate. Your ears may well get hot!!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

We’ve not even started on the attendance money, hospitality boxes etc. that punters put into racing but is then disappearing into the back pockets of Arena Leisure and co.

Should racecourses contribute to the levy?

A number of leisure firms with courses are making record profits yet failing to contribute to the prize money coffers?

Does anyone know what happens to the £140m that owners put into racing?

Does it go into prize money and is then redistributed, does it go into the backpockets of the trainers/racecourses/bookmakers or does the whole combined £224m just circulate between all of the above, ending up in a different place each time?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Far more worrying for racing should be news that the bookmakers want more FOBT’s in shops – more gambling opportunities and less reliance on racing (which is the only sport they pay levy on) will only be bad for British racing.

Nothing wrong with having 1,200 meetings but they need to be staggered throughout the day to take as much money as possible, make as much profit and generate as much profit IMO.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4601

We’ve not even started on the attendance money, hospitality boxes etc. that punters put into racing but is then disappearing into the back pockets of Arena Leisure and co.

Should racecourses contribute to the levy?

A number of leisure firms with courses are making record profits yet failing to contribute to the prize money coffers?

Does anyone know what happens to the £140m that owners put into racing?

Does it go into prize money and is then redistributed, does it go into the backpockets of the trainers/racecourses/bookmakers or does the whole combined £224m just circulate between all of the above, ending up in a different place each time?

That £140m is training fees which, presumably, goes to the trainers.

Racecourses are businesses,not charities, they have an obligation to shareholders to return a profit and to maximise such profits.

Nobody should contribute to the Levy as it is not fit for purpose, arguably it never has been.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.