The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Pat Eddery struggling…

Home Forums Horse Racing Pat Eddery struggling…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

Notice that Eddery has saddled just three winners in his first term, his last in a Wolves seller at the beginning of June.

Surprising as I can’t imagine there are many people on the planet who know more about the workings of a thoroughbred than him.  He entered into the game in quite a blaze of advertising and publicity, too.

Mind, Martin Pipe was on the box the other day recounting the purchase of his first horse for a few quid – "I didn’t have a clue how to train a racehorse".  I suppose you have to stick with it until things turn around.  Or the money runs out.

Mike

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

It’s a bit like footballers entering management – some of them are cut out for it and others aren’t. Training requires a different skill set and often requires managerial and leadership qualities which jockeys are often untrained and inexperienced in.

Top jocks who also made it to the top as trainers – list anyone?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Sir Gordon Richards

Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

Fred Winter was rather good at both.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from cormack15 on 3:38 pm on Oct. 6, 2006[br]It’s a bit like footballers entering management – some of them are cut out for it and others aren’t. Training requires a different skill set and often requires managerial and leadership qualities which jockeys are often untrained and inexperienced in.

Top jocks who also made it to the top as trainers – list anyone?<br>

There are always exceptions but I know where you’re coming from.<br>People like Piggott and Francome didn’t last (for different reasons!)

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Seem to recall in the years leading up to Eddery’s retirement he was pretty insistant he had no interest in training so it’s a somewhat surprising volte-face.  

Cormack makes a good point concerning the "managerial and leadership qualities" a succesful trainer may need and Pat has long struck me as being anything but a ‘people person’ as well as being an inherently shy guy content to knuckle down and do his own thing but uncomfortable when the media spotlight turns his way. Not dissimilar to Piggott in that respect.

On the other hand that genial and peerless horseman Steve Cauthen would have made a top-notch trainer IMO.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

I would have thought age was a significant factor in their lack of success, flat jockeys are usually in their early fifties when retiring from the saddle, more than twice the age the likes of Stoute, Cecil, Dunlop & Co. were when getting their licence. Some won’t even bother at that age. Jump jockeys retire much earlier hence their greater success as trainers.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Also, jump jockeys tend to be more closely involved with the training side of things than their flat colleagues, and so tend to pick up more traing know-how during their riding careers.

Sir Gordon Richards did ok as a trainer, though obviously with less success than as a jockey (how could he?), and Doug Smith started off well but the bottle soon took its grip.

bimble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 77

<br>    Walter Swinburn seems to be producing the goods with <br>   16 winners , including the John Smith ‘ s Cup at York , to his   <br>    name this turf flat season , amassing over £ 260,000 in <br>    win prize money .  Of course he has the guiding hand of <br>    father-in-law Peter Harris behind him so only time will tell .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.