The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Pacquiao – Cotto, 14th November

Home Forums General Sports Pacquiao – Cotto, 14th November

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Hills go 4/9 Pacman, 13/8 Cotto, 20 the draw.

An undeniable step up in class for The Pacman…………but is it a step too far ?

Cotto lost his unbeaten record to Antonio Margarito (subsequently banned for the modern equivalent of the old ‘horseshoe in the glove’ trick) but remains an excellent boxer. His record has something of a padded look imo – 27KOs in 35 over some minor or faded (or gun-shy) names. A body attack is thought to be his best chance of victory. He’s quick, but then…….

…….he’s not Pacquiao quick. This is a real step up in class for Manny after his last two, but how can you back against him ? He’s still improving, though slight doubts about his power at this weight remain (he couldn’t KO De La Hoya, and Hatton was indisputably shot).

Manny will follow the remarkable Freddie Roach’s instructions to the letter and will wear down Cotto with his speed and mobility and sheer numbers of punches, whereas Cotto will be punching the fresh air that Pacquiao just vacated all night.

Manny in six.

john2345
    • Total Posts 47

I think Manny will win, provided he concentrates fully on the fight. It’s a far tougher fight for him than ODLH or Hatton, and I won’t be rushing to take the odds currently on offer.

I think Cotto has had too many hard fights of late. I’m not convinced that Margarito needed "hardened hands" to beat him, rather he just absorbed all Cotto could throw and kept coming back and eventually wore him down. Cotto wasn’t great against Clottey in his last fight, and I have the feeling that his peak days are just slipping away.

As always it’s all about styles – and IMO Cotto’s style is just made for Manny – he’ll be outspeeded and outpunched. I think he’s just that bit too slow to catch Pacman enough times to make a difference, though he certainly can hit hard enough to do damage if he connects.

Roach is very good at picking the right opponents for his fighters, and in this instance I feel he’s judged it right. Mind you, if I read any mention of Manny being involved in "politics" or "movies" in the build up I’d be worried – he needs 101% focus on this fight. Betting wise…I think I’ll just watch.

Just my opinion.

J

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

Looking forward to the Mayweather Jr / Marquez fight about to start shortly.

Can Floyd overcome the hardened Mexican after two years out of the ring?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Stunning performance from Mayweather, he just toyed with Marquez.

The guy’s in a league all of his own.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

"Sugar" Shane Mosley called out Mayweather in the ring after the fight and I’m sure that will result in being Floyd’s next battle.

The winner of that scrap will probably face the Pacquiao/Cotto victor in a "super-fight".

Mosley is at least as big as Mayweather and has some big name scalps on his record (including 2 wins vs. De la Hoya) but he tends to struggle against the more crafty type of boxer (eg. Winky Wright) so I couldn’t really give Mosley more than just a punchers chance.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Stunning performance from Mayweather, he just toyed with Marquez.

The guy’s in a league all of his own.

Hmmm.

Marquez’ first ever fight over 135, and it’s against Floyd, fer chrissakes.
    Never mind winning, well done to him for finishing on his feet!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Mayweather doesn’t exactly tower over Marquez, but he returned from a 21 month layoff to completely outclass a man who has twice taken Pacquiao to the wire and was fighting fit having knocked out Juan Diaz in February.

Floyd could have levelled Marquez any time he wanted to, he just needed to get twelve rounds under his belt.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

I’m happy to take your word for it, didn’t see the fight.

Might be worth noting that FMj’s ko percentage has halved at 140+…….is Floyd using his boxing skills these days to try to stay ‘pretty’ ?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Mayweather just danced around him, monksfield, his jab was all he needed. Marquez connected with a couple of shots, but they were laughed off almost instantly and after the knock-down in the second round it was nothing more than a training session for Floyd.

I’ve warmed to Mayweather a great deal in the last few months and I can’t praise his comeback performance enough. The left-hand that flattened Marquez came from absolutely nowhere and he was anticipating every move the Mexican made.

Shane Mosley will present an entirely different physical challenge – he appears significantly bigger than Marquez – but I can’t see that he has anything to fear. Nor from Pacquiao.

tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Agreed

Mayweather was very good, knows his defence better than Alan Hansen.

He’s in a league of his own.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Mayweather is top drawer of course – but i’m ever so slightly tiring of him taking safe fights against smaller fighters.

He didn’t even make the catch-weight against Marquez, which was pretty dissapointing really.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It’s not a case of Mayweather agreeing to ‘safe’ fights, PC, there just isn’t anyone remotely good enough to present him with a serious challenge. He weighed in only 4lbs heavier than Marquez and, as I said before, didn’t exactly tower over him, and yet he was able to treat him with utter contempt and still provide twelve rounds of exemplary boxing.

The guy’s unbeatable.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

While Mayweather is exceptional and was by far the better man last week, a well past it master technician like De la Hoya almost did the job on Mayweather, and some still argue that he actually beat him, although I had Mayweather by a round. Paquiao, similarly, has the skills, speed and power to beat Mayweather – no doubt about that.

It’s Paquiao or nobody.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

There is no excuse for not "making" the agreed weight though Equitrack surely?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The frightening thing about the Marquez performance is I think that Mayweather has come back an improved man.

You just can’t buy this for love nor money;

http://i38.tinypic.com/23vl4iv.jpg

"IF" and its a big if that Paquiao meets Mayweather then I think the Bookmakers could potentially over price Floyd. The best boxer in the world is Mayweather and there are a lot of people caught up in the Paquiao hype you could say I was untill the Marquez fight because Floyds performance was frightening.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As I said, MRW, Mayweather was toying with Marquez.

The fight was won in the second round when Mayweather floored Marquez with a left hand from absolutely nowhere. After that it was nothing more than a training exercise, his chin taking the few shots the Mexican actually (almost) connected with.

I think many, especially in the UK, will rank Pacquiao on his rapid demolition of Ricky Hatton, but it has to be remembered that the Hitman set himself up for a fall. He reverted to his old ‘head down, all in’ style which just isn’t suited to top flight boxing and Pacman took full advantage.

Mayweather, however, is an altogether different proposition. He looks sharper now than he ever has before and his movement and anticipation are to die for. And he’s no shoddy puncher, either. He’ll have Pacquiao staggering every which way by the seventh.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Just thinking of a possible Mayweather/Paquiao bout makes my guts churn. The last time I was that excited about boxing, I was looking forward to Leonard/Hagler.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.