The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Out of Order Lydia

Home Forums Horse Racing Out of Order Lydia

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Does this thread mean that the entire forum will be tuning in to Timeform Radio (radio.timeform.com for those who need a link) tomorrow? I do hope so!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Secretly that’s the plan Rory :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

After listening to the absolute slagging Lydia Hyslop gave Sam Thomas on Timeform Radio yesterday, I thought I have to watch this.

The horse in question was Oh No Not Harry in the last race at Southwell yesterday.

After her excessively harsh word and her raving on about how Sam didn’t study any the previous races, didn’t allow for kick back etc etc etc I was expecting to see a real balls up of a ride.

So I watched and I watched and I watched! and I can’t see one thing wrong with the ride. Absolutely nothing!!!

Oh No Not Harry was with Jonjo O’Neill. The tried holding him up…he was beaten ridden by AP .They tried making the running he was beaten when Richard Johnson rode him.

Sam rode him time before last again holding him up and watching him yesterday and the way he finished I would say he’s best ridden that way.

She was ranting on about the kick back but as far as I could see the horse wasn’t the least bit bothered by it.

If he is a hold up horse and needs covered up, of course he’s going to get kick back. :shock:

For me this woman totally abused her prevelaged postion and owes Sam an apology, absolutely shocking behaviour from someone who should look before she leaps.

Judging by the Racing Post Fist, you are factually incorrect.

Haven’t seen the race myself, or any of the other three of ONNH’s runs; nor did I hear what Lydia said.

It is true that on debut he was unplaced when "in rear". However, both Johnson "led", and Thomas himself was "always prominent", according to the Racing Post. So when ridden prominently ONNH was placed both times, yet unplaced when "in rear".

Therefore, you are (imo) wrong to suggest ONNH is a "hold up horse". This may put a different complexion on the race and Lydia’s comments.

From what ONNH had done before it surely can NOT be argued (as you are) that he’s "best ridden that way" (held up).

You’re lucky I’m not Lydia..boy would she have a field day with you. :lol:

Held up means held up whether it be in 2nd, 12th or 22nd.

In a bumper race where most horse badly need a run and no more than 4 or 5 have a serious chance of even going the pace you don’t hold them up in the rear as you could end up being 60 lengths behind the leader. You treat it as what it really is………..a 4 or 5 horse race.

The first time Sam rode him he dropped him in about 6 lengths behind the leaders (Held up i ntouch as the form book says).He made his effort 2f out.

He Held him up in last place 2 days ago but was never more than a few lengths of the leader as it was a slow pace.

As I said in 3 of his 4 races the horse has now been held up and obviously they feel that is the best way to ride him.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Hi Fist,

you see what’s happened here? You’ve taken exception to Lydia Hislop’s vicious criticism of Sam Thomas because she’s done it in an environment in which he can’t defend himself. Unfortunately, you’ve chosen to launch an attack on her in an environment…….you see where I’m going here?

Why not give Lydia a chance to defend herself by emailing the Timeform Radio studio directly? She’s working again tomorrow and I’m sure she’d be delighted to get the feedback.

radio@timeform.com is the e-mail address you’re after.

Rory I listen to the show 6 days a week and email them regular. Best show on the planet as far as I’m concerned.

You simply don’t get better than Alex Steedman and Terry Norman (The dream team in my book) add Rory Delargy, Jeremy Grayson, David Cleary AND Lydia etc. and you have the best team on the planet IMO.

In fact I emailed on Tuesday I thought Lydia herself had a lot of very interesting comments to make on the subject I brought up, she is a bit blunt at times which is fair but I thought she went way over the score in this case.

All being well I will be around tonight and make no mistake when she gets there an email will be waiting for her.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Rory I listen to the show 6 days a week and email them regular. Best show on the planet as far as I’m concerned.

All this fuss about Chris Evans on Radio 2 when the headlines should have been about Rory and co on Timeform radio – the world has gone mad!

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9229

Is that radio.timeform.com Rory?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I don’t always agree with Lydia but at the end of the day she is being paid to tell it as she sees it.

Full credit to her for saying what she believes – would people prefer a more sycophantic approach, I suggest not.

It is very fortunate she wasn’t covering Wolverhampton last night – she would have had a field day!!!

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

You simply don’t get better than Alex Steedman and Terry Norman (The dream team in my book)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A nonsense of a thread.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Reading this thread I was reminded by a quote attributed to one François-Marie Arouet ( Voltaire to you and me :wink: )

" I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Isnt the real problem Fist, not what she said but the fact that she said it?

In much the same way that you believe that a horses welfare and racing plans are none of the publics business, how dare someone from outside the enclosed fraternity express an opinion?

Participant
    • Total Posts 277

As for not being able to defend herself I thought Lydia is/was a member of this forum.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

totally embarrased a winning Grand National jockey in front of millions of viewers.

Please explain for those who missed this.

Still awaiting clarity on this particular point, Fist.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

You’re lucky I’m not Lydia..boy would she have a field day with you. :lol:

Held up means held up whether it be in 2nd, 12th or 22nd.

In a bumper race where most horse badly need a run and no more than 4 or 5 have a serious chance of even going the pace you don’t hold them up in the rear as you could end up being 60 lengths behind the leader. You treat it as what it really is………..a 4 or 5 horse race.

The first time Sam rode him he dropped him in about 6 lengths behind the leaders (Held up i ntouch as the form book says).He made his effort 2f out.

He Held him up in last place 2 days ago but was never more than a few lengths of the leader as it was a slow pace.

As I said in 3 of his 4 races the horse has now been held up and obviously they feel that is the best way to ride him.

I’ve always thought you had a strange interpretation of the form book Fist; you’ve just confirmed it. :wink:

Held up in second. :roll: :lol:

If second is "held up", then please explain what "raced prominently" means?

Three races.
    In the two races he placed the horse raced prominently.
    In the one race he was unplaced, he was held up. FACT.
    NOT as you made out in your first post Fist.
    It’s not Lydia that should give the apology to Sam, it’s…. (fill in the blanks).

Held up in touch (imo) could mean raced fourth or fifth (in a reasonable sized field) not too far faway from the leader.

I have never heard any analysis or commentator say "held up in second".

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

If Fist has, as he says, e-mailed Lydia regarding his issues, then that’s grand. Any side arguments on here become moot. Let’s get it on!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

As for not being able to defend herself I thought Lydia is/was a member of this forum.

Why do you expect Lydia to come on this forum to defend herself? Against ranting such as this. It would only encourage more ranting to get a response.

There is very little to defend, and what there is has already been put to bed.

Is it any wonder Lydia does not come on here that often these days? :(

Value Is Everything
    royal falcon
    • Total Posts 15

Apologies for heading off at a bit of a tangent. Having watched the race replay, I could not see what Sam Thomas did so wrong? I was more concerned about the fall and horse fatality in the race. I thought the horse appeared to slip on snow lying near the rail? Am I wrong? It was an horrific fall and could have easily been a rider fatality too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Why do you expect Lydia to come on this forum to defend herself? Against ranting such as this. It would only encourage more ranting to get a response.

There is very little to defend, and what there is has already been put to bed.

Is it any wonder Lydia does not come on here that often these days? :(

Lydia doesn"t need Mr Morality to protect her! Look not a mention of the Ginger Police there!

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.