The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ouninpohja

Home Forums Horse Racing Ouninpohja

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Haven’t managed to watch his race today as yet but have clocked the result and some of the comments in running. Is anyone who saw it of the opinion he dogged it?

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I’m hardly a race reading expert but watched it as I had an intereest in. Ouninpohja never got into the race in my opinion. Held up mid-div the pace seemed quite good and it never looked like getting to the front. Travelled nicely going round the final bend in 3rd but never picked up while the leader did. Probably wasn’t as bad as the distances suggest but no Cheltenham festival winner on this evidence.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

It was ridden in a very similar way to last time but did not want to get to the leader when asked.  I lost a lot when it won LTO but got it back with a bit on top today at much shorter odds.

It will be a lay for me until it is dropped into a seller!!!

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3089

<br>If you watched this race with absolutely no pre-knowledge of the horse, you’d say that Ouninpohja simply didn’t get the trip on rain softened ground.

He was on the bridle on the home turn and found nothing from two out – but he didn’t really hang or put his head in the air.

No surprise if he’s put away for the winter and aimed at the Imperial Cup, County Hurdle double next March. At least, that’s what I’d do if I was Harry!

The decent flat horse he beat first time, Corran Ard, runs tomorrow at Southwell, 3:30.

AP

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Alan, I though he did put his head up when being asked on the run in.  I’m certain he is a thinker and consented to run on first time at a new game and will not repeat the this.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Ta for those responses, folks. As you may have gathered, there is a little bit of a vested interest in me having asked.

We were in the early throes of publishing our jumps horses to follow and avoid in the Sportsman when it went out of business – my selections went in two days before The End.

Our remit was not to pick just ten horses likely to be vying for Championship honours come March, as (a) the season is bigger than just the four days, and (b) as a betting paper, offering portfolios of animals likely to return as big a profit as possible to a £1 level stake was deemed to fit our remit more suitably.

As such, I put Ouninpohja in as a horse to swerve, writing:

Good luck to all concerned, but it’s far from guaranteed that a switch to hurdles will see the Ouninpohja who stormed to a five-timer and a triple-figure Flat rating in 2005 re-emerge to replace the frustrating, head-tossing, unwilling Ouninpohja of 2006 – and certainly not worth the 165,000gns his new connections paid to find out.

Conversely I had Corran Ard as one of my ten to follow!

The result of the horses’ respective debuts at Taunton the other week didn’t do too much harm – not many will have got too rich backing Ouninpohja at odds-on that day. Time will tell whether it was just the ground that did for him today, or whether he’s starting to think this winter game isn’t such a giggle after all. Whichever, and notwithstanding today’s defeat, it’s unlikely he’ll be going off at a working man’s price in any of the weak West Country novices’ hurdles he’s more likely than unlikely to continue campaigning in in the immediate future.

It was a shame Corran Ard was well enough beaten last time, failing to land me odds of 9-2 in the process, but I’m hoping there’ll be a good handicap in him at rewarding odds somewhere along the way this season. Given two of his Flat wins this summer came at Pontefract and Sandown, handling both courses very well, I wouldn’t put it beyond the realms of possibility that he could be laid out for something like the Imperial Cup… and if he did bump into Ouninpohja there, as Alan hints could happen, I’d be hopeful of getting a nicer price about him than the Nicholls beast!

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 10:28 pm on Dec. 7, 2006)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from apracing on 9:54 pm on Dec. 7, 2006[br]

<br>The decent flat horse he beat first time, Corran Ard, runs tomorrow at Southwell, 3:30.

AP<br>

Some other interesting flat horses  making their debuts

Thunder Rock, Pevensey, Sonny Parkin and Kingdom of Dreams

<br>Could turn out to be an interesting race

(Edited by empty wallet at 11:16 pm on Dec. 7, 2006)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.