The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ouija Board

Home Forums Horse Racing Ouija Board

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

That was fabulous…. :)

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Certainly was.  Why do the stupidly obvious bets only scoot home when you don’t back them?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

the signals from the stable werent good beforehand…which makes me wonder if this beautiful horse will now improve? :cheesy:

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

"I layed today"

I think everyone did.  I’ve piled in on a hundred horses that couldn’t get beat on form.  They usually get turned over for no apparant reason when the price is attractive.  Ouija Board was one such horse.  Today was the exception where I steered away from her.  Today was also the exception where she won like the good thing she was on paper.  How annoying is that?<br>When will you ever again get 11/8 about a horse that can’t get beat on form?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I think everyone did.

Not me.

She was a g1 horse running in a g3 without a penalty.

2.58 for a horse that only had to be fit was too generous.

Steve

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

She won well, even thoiugh not fully fit, as is evidenced by her tiring a little in the last furlong after looking like winning by a street at the 2f marker.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I backed her too. I thought it was a poor Group 3 anyway and figured she would be odds-on so the 6/4 was generous IMO. She won on her 1st run last year too.

Really fancied Rakti today too but he was strangely poor. He just couldn’t shake them off like his run in the Juddmonte.

My regret of the day though was Land & Stars. Over 100/1 on BF just before the off and I chickened out and backed him for the place. Still 12/1 but you don’t pick too many 100/1 winners!

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

figured she would be odds-on

I figured she’d be odds on too.

The trainer should have been expected to have gotten her fit enough to do the job (the gallop reports also supported this).

The injury was unlikely to recur and there was no way she’d be risked if she hadn’t checked out 100% with the vet. She’s not some claimer trotted out for one last payday.

And the opposition wasn’t up to much.  

All this said "odds-on" to me.

Even if she dropped a stone in ability, she should still be expected to have won today.

She obviously wasn’t 100% today, but still fit enough and won easily. Whether she’s as good as she was,I think we still don’t know.

Steve

Chris
    • Total Posts 10

It is not common knowledge but she has broken blood vessels after two of her last three gallops (not the last one). The plan is to go for the Breeders cup rather than the Arc where she can run on Lasix.

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Highlight of the weekend, chaps.:biggrin:   What a lady!  

And HOW did this magnificent Breeders Cup and dual Oaks winner get in a race where a listed class Mango Mischief was giving her 3lbs!!  Sir Mark Prescott would have been proud of that piece of placement!!:biggrin:

And 13/8 freely available. You layers must have had some bottle to play at that price.;)

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

She was most unlucky not to have won the Arc, having been shuffled right back. That she came so close was astonishing. That is some machine. Better than anything we’ve seen since, outside of America.

It’s a puzzle to me why connections seem unlikely to run her in the Arc this year. She could do the double this time, God willing, with the BC mares and turf (or whatever it’s called). Must be the blood vessels Chris mentions.

(Edited by Grimes at 5:32 pm on Sep. 26, 2005)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Most unlucky to have not won the Arc? Not for me, could have finished closer? For sure but she was certainly no unlucky loser.

She was visually most impressive at Newmarket but beat nothing at all of note that was Group class at the trip. She won the race well enough but was probably still about 10 lb below what she showed last year. That wasn’t good enough to win an average Arc and in a race that looks stronger this year I can see why connectiosn are going Breeders Cup. The turf races over there are considerably weaker in relation to the dirt and it is easily her best chance of gaining further Group 1 success.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

Agreed on both scores, EC: the blood vessel business – who could have been confident in that knowledge. Though I thought Ed Dunlop had been upbeat about her before the race.

Also, I think she would have won the Arc, and I personally doubt if it was, in any degree, sub-standard. In fact, rightly or wrongly, I’m hopeful of Cherry Mix going close; preferably winning.

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Given a better ride last year she would have been..imho..the winner of the Arc..Bago has hardly shown himself to be unbeatable.

I quite agree, EC and all who commented. I rarely rant, but I did a passable impression of an angry lunatic on early release last year.

If it wasn’t for the presence of Motivator, I think connections would be tempted this year too.  Oh, and Hurricane Run I suppose.;) But Belmont has always been the target.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

the first to say so

:)

what a girl

(Edited by clivex at 7:00 pm on Nov. 4, 2006)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.