The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nottingham – Friday

Home Forums Horse Racing Nottingham – Friday

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Is anyone going to Nottingham tomorrow?
    Julatten is running (I think – it’s a heavy track so not sure :shock: )
    She’s only a Maiden but I’ll be cheering her home all the way from over here! :D
    What’s Nottingham like? Is it a nice track? Does it run fair when it’s heavy?

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Kingston, I was a regular there last year.

The track is fair to all. The round course is a big galloping oval, nearly flat. I often feel the course favours thorough stayers and gallopers rather than horses with a turn of foot. On soft ground, you usually want to be drawn low in races further than a mile and it’s difficult to make ground.

Newmarket’s finest often patronise the course for their young prospects and green maidens. Cecil has always done well there and recently, Godolphin have been sending good horses.

The track holds water, but we’ve had monsoon conditions in the East Midlands for the last month and no track could withstand the battering. It takes a lot to abandon Nottingham. If the meeting goes ahead on Friday, then I would be looking for low drawn, prominent racers with plentiful stamina and soft ground form.

The sprints are tough, with a moody draw. I tend to avoid them, particularly the handicaps.

Hope this helps. Max

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Thanks for that Max :D
    The more I read on here the more I realise I know zip about English racing and the tracks!
    Nottingham sounds pretty good though from your description. I imagine it’ll be a run her and see race, so I hope she goes well for her connections.
    Thanks again :D

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

It was also a good jumps track – fair, well-respected by many and invariably blessed with big fields – until commercial sensibilities forced its removal in the mid-1990s. I would count myself among many whom would love to see its return to dual-purpose, but I don’t suppose the executive is going to entertain that any time soon.

A nice nugget for trivia fans – as well as playing host to important contests such as the City Trial Hurdle, Nottingham also hosted the longest hurdles races in the country, which clocked in at exactly 3m4f. In later years the handicap hurdle over that trip at one of its February meetings was branded "The Real Stayers’ Hurdle". And in a manner of speaking it was!

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Where would I find scratchings for these races? :shock:

Ta ever so 8)

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

She is out of Nottingham but is down for the 3.30 at Ripon on Saturday – a 6 furlong maiden handicap with Nicky Mackay up.

Keep your eye on non runners on the Racing Post and Sporting Life sites as with this awful weather the ground will be a consideration.

I saw Danny in Newmarket earlier in the week – good to catch up.

Mike de Kock plans to run Drayton at Newbury tomorrow but with it off today it has to be in doubt. He’ll like the ground though if they do race.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Thanks Adrian! Fingers crossed for tomorrow then. :D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.