The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nothing to do with us

Home Forums Horse Racing Nothing to do with us

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3326

Am I alone in being amused by the press release from York racecourse, rapidly detaching themselves from any risk of contagion by association with Prince Andrew:

“We don’t want the name of the race to be a distraction from what is a good contest and we’re seeking to clarify the history and connection. The current favourite, though we need to go through the protocol of the European Pattern Committee, is something like the 1895 Duke Of York Stakes.

“That clarifies that it is a long-established race and has a connection other than to Prince Andrew.”

How long before Goodwood react ‘ Oh no, people might think the Sussex Stakes has something to do with Harry and Sparkles’? Stand by for the County of Sussex Stakes!

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2158

They could always name it the princewanker stakes

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29168

York exec’ scared of the woke brigade digging the Knavesmire turf up as a protest against the racecourse supporting Prince Andrew.

Suppose The Woke Brigade don’t often look too closely before jumping to the wrong conclusion. Comical though it undoubtedly is – tbh am not that surprised York exec’ are trying a pre-emptive strike. So Wokeists might google “Duke Of York Stakes” and see the history for themselves.

Value Is Everything
    Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 874

‘How long before Goodwood react ‘ Oh no, people might think the Sussex Stakes has something to do with Harry and Sparkles’?’

What reason would they have to want to clarify that? You spelled Meghan incorrectly by the way.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2722

Hope its renamed ‘The Randy Andy Dash’.

BUY THE SUN

FiftyP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

‘Pizza Express Stakes’

The horse was sweating up in the parade ring.
    Impossible!

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3262

Maybe the whole city of York should change its name, just to be on the safe side? 😉

The Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2722

I’m never eating a Yorkie again.

BUY THE SUN

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3262

I doubt this advert would be allowed today, despite obviously being in jest:

The Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2722

Sweaty Andy should have paid closer attention to that sage advice.

BUY THE SUN

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 790

I can’t really criticise York racecourse for doing this given how ill-informed and happy to assume the worst some people are.

The Sussex Stakes is safe as Harry and Meghan are highly unlikely to be cancelled, even though they are clearly polarising figures.

If the wider Royal Family ever becomes an unmentionable topic then a lot of races are going to need renaming…

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2268

I wouldn’t worry, Marlingford. The Royal meeting would become something far more representative of modern Britain.

I look forward to Love Island Ascot in a decade’s time.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 790

Haha, yes the luminaries of reality TV would be much more fitting. I guess the King’s Stand could become the One Night Stand.

And why stop at Love Island? The Jersey Shore Stakes and the Joey Essex Handicap would fit right in.

MoyenneCorniche
    Participant
    • Total Posts 198

Whenever someone uses terms like “Woke Brigade” I automatically stop reading….

patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 772

:good: Moyenne

CarryOnKatie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 570

In all seriousness, what about the Dayjur Stakes?

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 790

Agree CarryOnKatie, past heroes are definitely underserved by current race names. And the races that do exist are often not a good match for the horse. Dayjur would probably end up having the Queen Alexandra named after him!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.