The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nothing Gained 4

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Nothing Gained 4

Viewing 17 posts - 477 through 493 (of 550 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 15019

Gutted Moe, especially not being with Missed Approach, him and one other were only off my list late on, I just loved that Tiger Roll formline, and I should have bet him. Gave him a long look Ante-Post as well. Kicking myself.

• Total Posts 15019

@FlyersNap
    Thanks mate, Tiger made a huge difference, and that horse owes me nothing.

Good luck today, selections to follow, but sitting out The Triumph.

• Total Posts 15019

Finally getting round to my Cheltenham Tally, it fair takes it out you this week.

Was always going to be nigh on impossible to match last years highs, but I gave it a good go, and I was happy with six winners, not to mention some nice each ways, and a couple of good lays in running.

Winners
    Tiger Roll 20’s, and 12’s to win any race
    Shattered Love 6.6’s
    Blow By Blow 25’s
    Delta Work 11’s
    The Storyeller 25’s
    Mohaayed 33’s
    Pacha Du Polder 25’s
    Balko Des Flos 11’s

Won’t mention all the each way, or all the losers, but these are the notable ones.

Each Way
    Double Ross 50’s
    Midnight Tour 100’s
    Jameson 66’s
    Mick Jazz 40’s

Also some cracking in play lays on Seddon, and particularly Fabulous Saga.

Losers
    Collectively The National Hunt Chase was by far the biggest loser. Good few quid lost on it, but at least no excuses, and Katie Walsh on Pylonthepressure was the ride of the week. How she got that into fifth I will never know. Still, one of my biggest betting races of the week, and it just didn’t happen this year.

Bachasson – Put my first bet on him this time last year for The Gold Cup, he was my dark horse, but he’s got just too many horses Mullins, and from another yard I might at least know where I am with him. It was as if he was invisible in the build up, not a mention, even the rags got more coverage, and it was quite clear, that he was only there at the owners wishes. Jockey booking confirmed my fears, and having looked assured all season, he went at the second. Gutted I was, absolutely gutted, I’d loved to have at least seen him given a fair crack at it.

Midnight Tour – Yes, a 100-1 shot placing is great, but I was celebrating the win, and I was on at 310’s. Had the money counted, and fair took the wind from my sails.

Ordinary World – The way he cruised into contention in The Champion Chase, just for a brief moment………….

Cause of Causes – Him and Tiger Roll in the same Cheltenham Race made no sense beforehand, and it became clearer what the plan was during the race. Not a big loser for me, he was never a price anyway, but nonetheless, a notable one.

Sam Spinner – As gutted as I was, I don’t want to hammer the young lad. He’ll be rock bottom after that, and I hope he comes back for more. A silly price for next years renewal for what it’s worth.

Kim Muir – As happy as I was with Double Ross each way, that Trifecta getting away from me was tough, and especially from the last horse I ruled out, I was strong on him through the Tiger Roll angle. Squouateur was one of my bigger losers of the week.

Notebook
    Eastlake – travelled smoothly in The Grand Annual, and has to be worth one more crack at The Topham

Tiger Roll & Cause of Causes – well I always mention them lol

Project Bluebook – Was clearly primed for Cheltenham, but didn’t get his ground. One for Ayr or Aintree.

Sternrubin – Scottish Champion Hurdle surely an option, where he might just bump into Bluebook.

Fagan – Ground went against him, and will be of serious interest at Punchestown or Fairyhouse.

Western Miller – Don’t think his season is over, and on better ground, has a prize in him.

Colins Sister – A better run than expected in The Stayers, and I’ll definitely take a chance before the seasons out.

Ballyalton – in fine form, and deserves some decent ground.

Bachasson – I have to side with him again, I think he’s good, and Irish National or a decent pot at Punchestown might be where to catch him. I’m swaying towards Punchestown.

Some week though, it really is the best, and I wouldn’t swap it for anything. Not all doom and gloom either, with Aintree, Ayr Fairyhouse, Perth, Sandown, and Punchestown still to come. Happy Days

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

Afternoon….Received that message,have replied today, so let me know if that has worked.

Looks like you have pulled a fair few rabbits out that hat , war chest overflowing again :yes:

Plenty to look back on,still going through replays,early thoughts that the ground might play to the strength of the Irish horses,that appears to be the case.

The weight stats….need to look into further,promising.

What does not surprise me is we had similar ground to what many have been running on recently,if only they would leave the ground alone,remove that drainage,leave it to mother nature,as I said before this has more to do with hospitality than horse welfare IMO.

Devastating news re fatalities…….the very worst part of the week.

Absolutely knackered,been a long week……..Take it easy B-)

• Total Posts 15019

Yup, got away with again, and a decent week all round.

It’s a long old haul though, but totally worth it. Just in from work, gubbed, but message received ok, and will reply in morning.

As for the fatalities, real downer that, always the worst part of the game.

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

Evening Mate

All quiet on the western front,hoping you have a few lined up for Aintree?

Tiger Roll down to 15 on the machine,momentum could see him go off near the front market,tremendous prices you have on him,just needs to get there in one piece.Giggi have plenty ammo already,and a few just outside top 40,not sure if thunder will get in,could be a combo coming up.

Few days away,will be back for next weekend,take it easy :good:

• Total Posts 15019

Yeah, only a brief lull though, as we approach April. Along with that week in March, we also have Fairyhouse, Aintree, Ayr, Sandown, and Punchestown, which makes it the best 6 weeks racing of the year, you really can’t beat it.

I’m still trying to work out why he ain’t favourite. Could be concerns over the jumping, which as I’ve mentioned before, is a genuine fear of mine, but he’s the best horse in the race, I’ve no doubt of that, and he’s shouldering less than 11-00 as things stand. That’ll do for me. I will lay some off, but like yourself, I expect that momentum, and I’ll hold off just now.

Speak soon, and enjoy the week away, Racing wise, a very good week to go.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6190

I’m still trying to work out why he ain’t favourite. Could be concerns over the jumping, which as I’ve mentioned before, is a genuine fear of mine, but he’s the best horse in the race, I’ve no doubt of that, and he’s shouldering less than 11-00 as things stand.

Crazy isn’t it VTC. Surely goes off sub 10/1, must do. Very, very tempting for me this 14/1 NRNB

Feck it, in for a penny and all that :heart:

• Total Posts 15019

He has to go off Fav Botchy, surely. The only other one I can see maybe pushing for favouritism is Anibale Fly, and I honestly think Seeyouatmidnight will go off very high in the market too, I just think he has the right kind of appeal, but apart from that, can’t see one.

• Total Posts 15019

The action coming thick and fast over the next month, and starting to have a go now.

I could go mad with The Irish National, but have to draw a line, and I won’t be doing a book. I may add Fagan as well, but these four will do for now. Any Second Now & Sutton Manor were always my main fancies, and I was very fortunate to get in early on Pairofbrowneyes, though to be fair, I have more at 25’s than 50’s. Champagne West is more hope than expectation, but a repeat of that Thyestes win puts him bang there.

The Topham has a cracking entry, and I may start a book, I’ll see how Fairyhouse goes first of all. As promised, I’m with Ballyalton & Eastlake, while added the very realistic Theatre Territory, and the “who knows” selection of Imjoeking, who’s only a saver at the moment. I did mention Western Miller as one of my notebook horses, and I’m very close to adding him at 100’s. Batshit Crazy Price.

As for The National, biggest race of the year, and as much as I love it, you still have to recognise that it’s far from a vintage renewal. Can see a load of defections, and have topped up on Minella Daddy. I had topped up on General Principle too, but he’ll surely go Fairyhouse. Things haven’t changed though, and about 75% of my bank is on Tiger Roll, and as mentioned, his price can only go down.

Notebooks
    Project Bluebook is entered at Fairyhouse on Monday, but the ground is currently against him. I still see him in The Scottish Champion Hurdle, or at Aintree, and he could easily go head to head with Sternrubin, or my old friend/nemesis, Chesterfield.

At Aintree, I can’t wait to see Beyond The Clouds, while another less well known horse worth looking out for at Ayr, is Wide Awake.

Looking over Cheltenham again, and the one horse who screams “winner” to me is Sizing Tennessee. Has to recover from that 4 Miler, and if he does the handicap before The National just might be the race, while longer term, maybe worth serious consideration for The Ladbroke at Newbury. If he doesn’t go up in the weights before the end of the season, he’d be a serious fancy for that.

As well as that Scottish Champion Hurdle, we also have one of the biggest races of the season, The Scottish National, Daklondike is my long term hope for that, and other early fancies include Bigbadjohn, Dingo Dollar, and Gingili. Dingo could easily be a horse for the Aintree meeting as well.

Still trying to work out targets for Bachasson & Colins’s Sister. I hope Bachasson swerves Fairyhouse, and I just have a hunch he’ll have a target at Punchestown.

Not be long until Punchestown, and a forgotten horse who I haven’t forgotten is Potters Point, while one who I’ve been waiting out in Ireland this winter is Killaro Boy. His win last year was smashing, and I’m hoping that he doesn’t run in The Irish National.

Ante-Post Update

Irish National
    Any Second Now Win 20’s
    Champagne West EW 50’s
    Pairofbrowneyes EW 50’s
    Pairofbrowneyes Win 25’s
    Sutton Manor EW 33’s

Topham
    Ballyalton Win 16’s
    Theatre Territory Win 14’s
    Eastlake EW 40’s
    Imjoeking EW 33’s

Grand National
    Tiger Roll 50’s ew (5 Places, NRNB, BOG)

Tiger Roll 60’s to 80’s
    Seeyouatmidnight 80’s
    Beeves 400’s to 470’s
    General Principle 150’s to 660’s
    Go Conquer 55’s to 80’s
    Knock House 400’s to 500’s
    Minella Daddy 410’s to 550’s
    Total Recall 90’s Laid 27’s

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

Evening wise one

Euchen Glen…..Dear oh dear,clueless ride if that was trying,love to hear what connections thought of that,should not go up too much ,very much of interest further down the line with any cut in the going.

Decent racing over the water,with the national looking a difficult puzzle.

Do like Sutton Manor,something tells me he could outrun his odds,plenty of 50’s and above on machine.

Thunder And Roses is getting on a little,discussed him a few times,looks overpriced as this is his time of year,the 3lb claim may help,not the worst jockey booking if she can get him into a rhythm.

General Principle ran a fine race last year,ground was plenty quick enough for him,if he travels as well tomorrow,a danger to all off current mark.Been kept away from longer distances,no doubt this has been his target,again big price.
    Backed all three,place wise to cover stakes only,should be a cracker.

Looking forward to Aintree,hopefully on easy ground,few on the radar this far out,but the Masters first,are you speculating?
    Catch up soon,best of luck tomorrow B-)

• Total Posts 15019

Evening mate,

Yes, less said about Euchen Glen the better. Bet him a couple of times last year, and he’s a nice horse, and he should have won yesterday, little doubt about that.

Not the best Saturdays Racing of the year, that’s for sure, and I was glad to be backshift. Day off today, but Easter Lunch/Egg Hunt, so missed the days racing, and no bets on as a result. Looking forward to watching a couple of races back though, including The Ryanair Gold Cup. As I said on the race thread, no bet, but very interested in how The Storyteller fared. I’ll watch his run with interest, and goes without saying, Blow By Blow’s, I was not downbeat when I heard he didn’t win.

Bloody dayshift tomorrow, so hopefully get an early finish to catch the action from Fairyhouse. It’s a top notch card, and just the type to lead us into a big month.

Yes, wouldn’t complain about either Sutton Manor, and General Principle. I’ve always liked GP, and he was a very strong fancy of mine in this last year. He should be thereabouts, while I bet Sutton Manor in his 3 runs at the Spring Festivals last year. He ran a smasher for me in The Pertemps, while he had no luck at all at Fairyhouse and Punchestown. Very pleased to see we agree, especially as you’re in form.

Also got Pairofbrowneyes running for me, and I’ll be disappointed if he ain’t in the shake up. Can’t argue with Thunder and Roses either, big fan of him as well as you know, and I reckon you’ve got a decent rider on your side there. She has done me many a favour.

It really is a cracking card, though the focus is obviously on the big one.

It looks like a proper “outsider” day for me, and looking at these other guys. No time to go into reasons, as better head to bed soon lol. I’ll definitely perm, and at the prices, no harm in having a few ew singles as well, as it’s been a cheap weekend, and I’ve barely had a real bet since Cheltenham.

1515 – Dysios 25’s. Just caught my eyes a few times, and struggling to see why he’s so big.

1550 – Lieutenant Colonel 33’s. Not the most reliable, and regularly caught out at this level, but in his defence, he’s probably never looked better. Fully expect him to revert, but loved his attitude last time, and I can’t leave him at that price.

1625 – Champagne West 40’s. Swerved Cheltenham, swerved The Irish National, and on his day, a bloody good horse. No show so far this season, but he’s never been the most consistent anyway. Have to be with him at 40’s, can’t believe that price.

1745 – Rogue Angel 14’s. I don’t think he’s a spent force yet, and he’s worth a win bet, though White Arm looks a big threat.

1820 Those Days Are Gone 20’s – Will probably get found out, but on last run, 20’s is generous.

Good luck tomorrow, and I hope we can get some success between us.

PS, yes, Aintree, bring it on. Fantastic meeting, the biggest race of the year, and loads more. Got shortlist the length of my arm. I’ll have a go at The Masters for sure. Only bet on it and The Open in The Golf, but I’ll have an outsider hitting for me definitely.

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

Strange game……gives with one hand,takes with the other.

Great shout with the “General”……dug it out in attritional conditions,dodged a bullet with Folsom getting hampered,his supporters can count themselves very unlucky.

Both of us have had the bad luck many times,so its a day to enjoy……not often we agree but this was one that proved correct……..Bloody well played B-)

• Total Posts 15019

Cheers Flyers, it was a fair old hit for me, and one of the biggest hits of the season for me. Nearly choked up a lung shouting him home lol.

Decent day all round, and the 40’s on Thosedaysaregone in the last was the icing on the cake. Happy all round.

Got to have a go tomorrow, and I’ll have these permed, and the bigger ones on their own. All at Fairyhouse.

Might Stowaway – Work to do, but not convinced he should be outsider of the field.

Mitchouka – If over Cheltenham exploits, one for the perms.

Poli Roi – Ultimately disappointing so far, but no surprise to see him burst into life tomorrow.

Voix Du Reve – My original fancy for the race, and he looks too big all round. Can’t believe he opened at 25’s.
    Uradel – I’ve been impressed with him, and he’ll be a win “saver”
    Joey Sasa – Bet him a few times, and never caught him, but with 5 places, he has to be worth an ew go, as he’s too big.

Fire In His Eyes – I’ll go with him if the price holds, otherwise he’ll be one for the perms.

Youcantcallherthat – Not the strongest of fancies, but at 8’s, got to be worth a chance in this line up.

Good luck if you’re playing tomorrow.

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

Only really looked at the 4-10,the handicap hurdle.

Voix Du Reve carried my interest at the Fez,obviously went down in many notebooks,the fact he has 8 running tempers enthusiasm tomorrow.Matched a modest amount earlier at 15,no surprise if he gets the duck egg tomorrow,was hoping he might go to aintree for that final race on saturday,time will tell.

Glad to hear it was a decent return,it was a difficult race to get truly excited about just one horse,the poor old commentator was guessing at most of the giggi ones,hilarious really.

Forecast looks wet at Aintree until early next week,if we get heavy there,very few will get home.Like your opinion on a race,the 2016 welsh national,Raz De Maree ran a cracker behind NR,franked in this years renewal,but so did the ross osullivan horse Baie Des Iles,as a 5 yr old.Everything about this grey mare shouts stamina,if we do get genuine deep ground,she must have a squeak off a lowly looking mark.

Augusta Kate was interesting,two races on trot where exercise gallop required,radar material.

Masters like Cheltenham,course and distance form positive,Adam Scott and Schwartzel look overpriced to me,75/1 and 180/1 respectively,will stick my starting position up on masters thread later in week.

Nothing like a tight finnish…..the best de-congestant known to man :yes:

Take it easy.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

Bob am in flying form i put up General Principle on my twitter the TRF was down yesterday

Doing good on tennis and golf to on the golf will you have few bets for masters if yes then see you at the thread

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

Evening

Not to be at fairyland,touch and go yesterday so no surprise after rain overnight.

Been looking where VDR might go next,wondering if they might bring him over to Aintree.

The only two suitable races are first race on friday,over 2m 4f…..or the last race saturday over 2m.

Not sure if you remember rule the world national,was it you that also backed Ivan Grozny on the other site?Plenty guesswork here,but its half the fun,of the two suitable races I reckon the saturday conditional riders over 2m.IG won the 2016 version pulling a cart,same owner/ trainer as VDR,he carried top weight that day off mark 141.Following his cheltenham exercise,VDR has been dropped to…….141…,the lad who was booked today would be eligible to ride at Aintree,a conditional.Jury out whether he needs better ground,the donkey derby beforehand ensures team mullins will have runners that day.

Probably more Clouseau than Poirot,we will see :unsure:

Viewing 17 posts - 477 through 493 (of 550 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.