The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Notes From The Irish Flat Scene

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Notes From The Irish Flat Scene

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RoyalAcademy2
    • Total Posts 59

Horses to follow:
    As the National Hunt season is re;atively quiet I thought I would post a few notes on likely future winners on teh Irish scene. I hope to update weekly or so and will flag one when they run.

Current List:
    Chamber Of Commerce
    Where’s Danny

{I wrote this some months ago about Chamber Of Commerce and have been patiently awaiting his return.}

Chamber Of Commerce – David Wachman
    In the 6f 3yo maiden last Sunday first curragh meeting last March) David Wachman ran Chamberofcommerce (2008 c by Indesatchel) for the first time. He finished 8th/27 beaten 6.5l at 20/1 (squeaks for him at 25’s).

Wachman trained the sire, Indesatchel (Danehill Dancer) to win two Group 3’s (Greenham & Tetrarch) over 7f on soft ground in 2005 and my guess is that this is the first of his progeny he’s trained. The stallion had his first runners in 2010 and produced 8 winners from 27 runners that did not appear to be inconvenienced by soft ground (like his sire). {He has since moved to 18 wins from 14 horses}

Pedigree: Tatts 16,000gns foal (from Bearstone Sud-home of sire), Tatts 22,000gns as a yearling to D Wachman; 7th foal; half-brother to fairly useful 5f (at 2) and 6f winner Autumn Pearl (2001 Orpen filly) who was second in Epsom Group 2 for Michael Jarvis and to winners in Switzerland and Denmark; dam, Cyclone Flyer (1996 College Chapel (sprinter)), modest 5f winner for John Berry, half-sister to King´s Stand winner Bolshoi.

Wachman’s record in this maiden is what interests me! Since 2006 he’s run 12 horses down the field in this race. Out of seven that subsequently contested handicaps no fewer than four of them won on their first start a record of some quality and one to be heeded. The run certainly suggested the horse has ability and Wachman does have an admirable record in preparing horses to win handicaps as three-year-olds. If he were mine I’d campaign him in one-mile maidens for his next two runs and then pick up a 5f/6f handicap in June when it rains!

Update: the horse has since run twice and was fancied to win at Naas over 7f on his second start (6th at 7/2) and then ran 9th/15, beaten 18L at Roscommon over 7f in mid-June in what may have been a disappointing run.

All runs to date have been on soft ground and I speculate that, injury being avoided, he has been put away to strengthen up for a back-end campaign on soft ground.

Where’s Danny – Joe Murphy
    Joseph (“Joe”) G Murphy has an impressive set-up at Crampscastle in Tipperary (very close to Coolmore) and quietly gets on with his job of turning out flat winners. He has trained 28 winners over the past 5 seasons and among his better performers have been Ask Jack, Northgate and The Pier.

He certainly seems to have bagged a bargain when he gave €22,000 at Goffs last September for Where’s Danny by the French sire Diamond Green (Green Desert). He appeared inexpensive ever before he ran as his only sibling (he’s the second foal) is the very useful Katla (2008 f by Majestic Missile – good sprinter who won the Molecomb and Cornwallis and standing at Ballyhane). Katla has been an absolute “find” for her unknown trainer, John Grogan, who, ironically, trains quite close to Murphy. Katla has won three races over six furlongs including the Rockingham (Listed) at York and the Sweet mimosa (Listed) at Naas.

Where’s Danny was introduced at the Curragh (good-yielding) two weeks ago in a six-furlong maiden and it was significant that Murphy used the “best available” in Pat Smullen. There was a little interest in him in the ring (25’s to 20’s) and he ran a race full of promise. He broke slowly and tailed the field for 3 furlongs and under quite tender handling ran on all the way to the line to be a never nearer two lengths third. The maiden may have been a little below average for the venue even though virtually all the main stables were represented.

I would be concerned that from this run alone his handicap mark may be harsh (very similar to a 3yo filly named Gatamalata from the same stable who failed to win following a highly promising start) so it’s probably best to try to win an auction maiden with him in the not too distant future.

RoyalAcademy2
    • Total Posts 59

Chamberofcommerce is back amongst the entries and scrapes into a 47-70 handicap at Listowel next Monday off the high mark. And it’s raining…………………

RoyalAcademy2
    • Total Posts 59

One Spirit-2008 f by Invincible Spirit (Frank Dunne)

One Spirit’s dam, Recite, is by Japanese champion sire Forty Niner and somehow she came to be trained in the occident by John Oxx for owner Miss Amanda Marshall. Recite has a superb pedigree being a half-sister to Diktat (1995 h Warning) who was a top-class sprinter for Godolphin and sired the winner of the recent Haydock Sprint in Dream Ahead, a race he won himself in 1999. Recite’s dam, Arvola, raced for Sheikh Mohammed but was transferred to Japanese ownership at some stage. Both Park Appeal and Cape Cross are prominent in the family. Recite just managed to win a 1m Limerick maiden on soft ground for Oxx in 2004. One Spirit is her first foal.

Frank Dunne is a member of the giant Irish retailing group, Dunnes Stores, and he made a name for himself when he trained Stanerra to win the Japan Cup in 1983. He retired from training years later but recently dusted down his jodhpurs and has been training a handful of horses for the past couple of years. Invariably his charges are well-bred.

Following a promising debut at three last May,

One Spirit

won a 1m maiden at Leopardstown (good) in June in the style of a nice filly winning under hands and heels for “renaissance man” Niall McCullagh. A promising third to Pirateer followed earning her invaluable black-type and the mission since has been to win a stakes event. Two efforts over 9f have yielded 10th and 8th placings. The former at Gowran saw her meet some interference but her most recent Curragh run (G3 Dance Design Stakes) caught my eye. She travelled very sweetly into the straight and only yielded over the final furlong when, it seemed to me, she emptied badly over a trip that was just too far. She has three Group 3 entries over the coming weeks and may be seen as early as this weekend. As the going is likely to be soft I am encouraged that some of Invincible Spirit’s best progeny have acted on this ground.

Footnote: I noted that her stable companion, Spontaneous, had also received a stakes entry in one of the ame Group 3’s having been off the track for almost a year. In preparing my research note I found to my dismay that she ran and won at Roscommon earlier this week and landed a touch into the bargain. At least it points to the rude health of the Dunne runners.

Swain
    • Total Posts 33

Where’s Danny is interesting alright as he didn’t get knocked about. The form of the race is worrying tho. It doesn’t look to be working out great. Fibril might tell us more tomorrow.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.