The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 529 total)
  • Author
    darwengray
    • Total Posts 90

OA, you’re right about The Vintner only having 2 sets, along with Romany King and Greasepaint.

Northern Bay ran in The National in 3 different colours, and if you want to push it on the cap issue, ran in different colours in each of his 4 Nationals.

I thought Northern Bay ran in Red with white sash for all his attempts from 86 onwards and green with black spots in 85 .
    Though time could be clouding the memory of course.

darwengray
    • Total Posts 90

Doubleuagain ran over the fences in three different colours but only two in the National .

• Total Posts 14971

Darwen, he was Navy Blue, White Epaulets, white cap, blue star in 88. Good to see old Doubleuagain getting a mention.

darwengray
    • Total Posts 90

OA, you’re right about The Vintner only having 2 sets, along with Romany King and Greasepaint.

Northern Bay ran in The National in 3 different colours, and if you want to push it on the cap issue, ran in different colours in each of his 4 Nationals.

I thought Northern Bay ran in Red with white sash for all his attempts from 86 onwards and green with black spots in 85 .
    Though time could be clouding the memory of course.

Darwen, he was Navy Blue, White Epaulets, white cap, blue star in 88. Good to see old Doubleuagain getting a mention.

You are spot on i would have never remembered that in a million years .

Thought Charlie Mann gave Doubleuagain a fantastic ride in 86 i still hope the loose horse will miss him even now :lol:

• Total Posts 14971

Ha! I think the exact same too. I’m sure Charlie Mann would be in agreement, great ride for a 500-1 shot. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Are there any more forfeit stages or are we pretty much waiting on the last declarations on the Friday?

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

Think there’s 5-day decs and then final decs on the Thursday. Reserves can come in if anything is withdrawn before a certain time on the Friday.

Has anyone seen the new Grand National book, "Go Down to the Beaten" by Chris Pitt? Looks like manna from heaven for us National nuts. Takes a look at each post war race from one of the jockeys who didn’t win. They could have been on no-hopers, first fence fallers, or second placers. It features the likes of Brod Munro-Wilson, Phillip Blacker, Bill Smith, Ron Atkins, Ray Goldstein, Charlie Mann, Chris Grant, Billy Worthington…

Suonds great!

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I think at 160 on BF, Pipe’s ex-French, Or Noir de Somosa, is an outrageous price. He is a top class chaser and looks to have been laid out for it for a very long time. Just took 25 a place.

Anyone know owt about the owners, Filsal Stadeg Racing? Found nowt about them on Google.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Think there’s 5-day decs and then final decs on the Thursday. Reserves can come in if anything is withdrawn before a certain time on the Friday.

Has anyone seen the new Grand National book, "Go Down to the Beaten" by Chris Pitt? Looks like manna from heaven for us National nuts. Takes a look at each post war race from one of the jockeys who didn’t win. They could have been on no-hopers, first fence fallers, or second placers. It features the likes of Brod Munro-Wilson, Phillip Blacker, Bill Smith, Ron Atkins, Ray Goldstein, Charlie Mann, Chris Grant, Billy Worthington…

Suonds great!

Asking for it off my dad for my birthday :lol:

Looks like a really good read. It’ll make a great edition to my already extensive library of Grand National books :D

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Getting my copy at our Grand National Preview; hopefully Bob Champion and Josh Gifford will be there to sign it along with lots of other Grand National jockeys who turn up on the night. It’s become an annual get together for a lot of them.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

Five-day confirmation stage April 4, final declaration stage 10.00am, April 7. Maximum field size of 40, plus 4 reserves.

74 entries remain after March 22 scratchings deadline

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

original list updated to remaining 74 entries, interesting that midnight chase hasn;lt been scratched despite them saying he was going for the betfair bowl, though with his alloted weight, i went off him sadly

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

"thehorsesmouth" wrote: NOTRE PERE is my fancy for this race since the Becher.

He jumped from fence to fence without a care in the orld that day, absolutely stepping over them. He’s built for it too, a huge animal, tailor made for this test.

He was hampered and lost most of his momentum and loads of ground at Bechers when looking like he was going to be in with a shout, before finishing in a respectable fifth.

A nice price too.

Haven’t changed my mind on Notre Pere, but the other one I really fancy at this stage is The Midnight Club. He was unlucky in the Thyestes, where a mistake down the back cost him about 4 lengths and precious momentum. I’ve little doubt he would have won that day barring that mistake, and he has since proven his wellbeing with a professional win against stable companion Arbor Supreme.

Also like Becauseicouldntsee, Bluesea Cracker, Backstage (anything beginning with a ‘B’ it would seem!) etc. :P

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Arbor Supreme is still only 9 and although he hasn’t shown much for a few seasons he’s bred to stay the National distance. Not sure why The Midnight Club is so lightly raced for a 10 year old. Interesting to see if Ruby chooses to ride him.

darwengray
    • Total Posts 90

Suonds great!

This has to be a must have book ! :D will be interested what Ray Goldstein says about Hettinger he was jumping really well in the 89 National before getting wiped out at Bechers .

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

i like becauseicouldntsee. tehy said nina carberry was riding, but just read on sportinglife paul townsend is, if he runs i may back him now

vf

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Paul Townend suspected broken collar bone; if so no chance of riding him.

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 529 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.