The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

No British-trained runners in a British Group 1 – a first?

Home Forums Horse Racing No British-trained runners in a British Group 1 – a first?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

With reference to the (elsewhere bemoaned) defection of Tartan Bearer from the Juddmonte International at York tomorrow, can anyone contradict my notion that this is the first Group 1 (or possibly race of any kind!) to be run on British soil, but without any British runner?

A lamentable business….

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Hopefully Alan Lee will be on the case before too long. Instead of writing fawning articles about Luca Cumani (who sends most of his good overseas these days) maybe he’ll get stuck into a few of them.

You’ll find them in Deauville, Alan.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Following the King George where Stoute provided the first three now we have the Juddmonte without any English runners one wonders why the sponcers even bother with English racing. Take Oxx and O’Brien out of the recent Derby and even that becomes a farce.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

Some of these winter all-weather races come close. There was one at Wolver last December where five of the six runners in a bog-standard handicap came from Ireland.

You wonder how they justify the travel expenses to run horses for a couple of grand prize money in some cases. Maybe the clue’s in the stronger Betfair markets available in races staged over here. :wink:

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6212

Glenn

Most likely it’s because they can’t get a run on the All Weather at
    Dundalk. I haven’t checked but I would imagine Dundalk handicaps are regularly over-subscribed.

It’s pretty much the same in some Northern jumps races. Perth maiden hurdles are dominated by Irish horses struggling to get a run in a similar event at home. 12 Irish runners out of 15 was one extreme example.

Rob

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Does it matter where they’re trained. A horse is a horse.

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Just as I have been pointing out, the decline in English racing.

tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Dispirited as ever Tom, all you have to do now is prophesies the end of the world, then we’re in real trouble

CarryOnKatie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 570

I recall a Prix de L’abbaye about 15/20 years ago – may have been Dayjur’s year – where the entire field was English or Irish trained!

Sad that English trainers (Stoutey excepted as presumably TT had a legit withdrawl reason) cannot even chase 5th / 6th prizemoney.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Tartan Bearer drifted to 13s a couple of days before it pulled out. I wouldn’t trust Stoute either to be honest.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

I’m really excited about this weeks racing; Tom, you’re not a dementor are you?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Is it any wonder that the Epsom Derby could not get a sponsor/And that the Irish derby is sponsored by Dubai. Where will Juddmonte go next? Or the King George? Will they run the Juddmonte at the Curragh?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6212

Just as I have been pointing out, the decline in English racing.

Private Fraser: We’re doomed, I tell ye!

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Tom, you’re not a dementor are you?

:mrgreen:

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Graysons i am very dissapointed in you :(

Thought you would have mentioned the infamous 3m2f Novice Chase at Cartmel with only two runners when Jimmy Lambe supplied them both.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Was that novice race at Cartmel a Group One ?

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

Was that novice race at Cartmel a Group One ?

It was in Mr. Graysons opinion!!!

:D

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.