The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nicky Mackay Ban – Justified?

Home Forums Horse Racing Nicky Mackay Ban – Justified?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

I think it is. Broke the rules, relied on whip to correct when he should have relied on his reins and the bit.

What do you think?

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

What do you think?

I’ll tell you what I think……..Nickys got 10 days for hitting his horse 10 times,I would say he hit his horse 3 times trying to correct the filly but she was having none of it,she won the battle and wandered right across the course,Nicky was in a No win situation under these rules but at least this example shows clearly that again the rules as they are dont accomodate extreme circumstances,as was todays.Nicky being a Professional Horseman did all he could to win riding a madam of a horse and did win.10 days is a joke and if he appeals he’ll see it reduced significantly because those who administer these punishments haven’t got a bloody clue! :roll:

ZarkavaZarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4708

Jesus wept, Corm. How much brown-nosing do you and your friends want to do over these whip restrictions? All you have to do is speak to 100 people who know anything about racing to work out that the rules suck.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Not brown-nosing to anyone Zarkava – I’ve had robust views on the whip for a number of years, long before the current restrictions were announced last year.

KF – you’ve watched enough racing to know that Mackay didn’t stop riding at all, he was riding a finish throughout, NOT a correcting job.

Winning narrowly DOESN’T justify rule-breaking.

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

I think it is. Broke the rules, relied on whip to correct when he should have relied on his reins and the bit.

What did Nicky try to do when the filly first thought about running out,he used his reins to such effect he was almost side saddle trying to correct her,he never resorted to the whip until she again wandered severely off the last bend where Nicky like any Jockey trying to win requires the use of the whip!…….It worked She Won! Another Pathetic decision from an Authority with No credibility! The Sh*t will hit the fan big time come Cheltenham! No Question!

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

He did not get 10 days for hitting the horse 10 times. He got 5 days and another 5 days for his second such offence. If the stewards had stuck to the letter of the law he would have got 14 days. If he was that concerned for his safety he should have pulled the horse up.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Cheltenham will be interesting KF indeed.

The jump jockeys have, by and large, adapted pretty well to the new rules.

But we all know that Cheltenham is the hub around which the wheel of the NH season revolves and we all know that there is a win-at-all-costs mentality which may raise its head at the festival.

I think the spectre of lengthy bans will be enough of a deterrent.

If it isn’t, the the BHA will need to look at tougher punishments as back-tracking and allowing an increase in number of hits is a non-starter.

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

If he was that concerned for his safety he should have pulled the horse up.

Yeh right Eclipse,if that was the case then there wont be a horse finish the Grand National! Every Jockey that mounts a horse is well aware they are risking their lives! You Lot dont half make me laugh,as soon as there’s a Whip offence you poke your heads out from under the safety of your stones,Shout Gruesome but when a horse is killed you say sweet **** all! HYPOCRITES OR WHAT?

Edited:

freeradicalfreeradical
    • Total Posts 336

Would Mackay have received a different ban if he stopped riding and eased down a 1/2 fav.? That would have another discussion.

Watched the reply and only counted 5 full strikes with the rest looking like corrective taps (others may have counted differently).

It looked the sort of ride that last year would have got ride of the week, particularly keeping her going after 7f, but this year gets a ban (even if slightly reduced what it could have been).

To help jockeys in future there needs to be clear instructions to them to ease down horses that are hanging as this horse did without fear of penalty and then to help them further the authorities must communicate this to the owners and punters.

Anyone know what John Gosden’s views were?

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Cheltenham will be interesting KF indeed.

The jump jockeys have, by and large, adapted pretty well to the new rules.

But we all know that Cheltenham is the hub around which the wheel of the NH season revolves and we all know that there is a win-at-all-costs mentality which may raise its head at the festival.

I think the spectre of lengthy bans will be enough of a deterrent.

If it isn’t, the the BHA will need to look at tougher punishments as back-tracking and allowing an increase in number of hits is a non-starter.

We all know what will happen if the Jockeys get banned for ‘Trying too hard to Win’ at Cheltenham….There wont be any left to ride in The Grand National!

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4607

I have to say I generally support the new whip rules and am in favour of the tougher penalties, however in this instance I do think McKay was hard done by.

The mare was hanging like Monday’s washing in the breeze and I think there was, in the home straight, a real concern she could have ploughed into the stands rail, look how far she veered out earlier in the contest.

It is naive to suggest she should have been pulled up – had MacKay done so he would have had the book thrown at him and I can just imagine the posts on here castigating him.

I’ve not generally been sympathetic to the jocks who have picked up bans under the new rules, only a couple have struck (no pun intended) me as being overly harsh – but this one today is an exception.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

The point I am making is that it looked a very risky proposition, therefore he should have felt justified in pulling the horse up if he did not feel he had the means to control the animal. By continuing to ride the horse vigorously he rather negates the safety aspect of his argument. It still seems to me that the jockeys biggest gripe is the punishment rather than the rules.

Jockeys riding in the National want their heads examined for any possible sign of sense anyway.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4251

An absolutely atrocious decision. What happened to the stewards discretion? The horse was wandering everywhere and those little taps at the top of the straight wouldnt have hurt a baby.

I think it will come back to bite the BHA as will surely be used as evidence that the rules are not workable.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

ZamorstonZamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1113

Where the hell did common sense go?

Nicky Mackay did everything he possibly could to a) keep safe….and b) win the race….he accomplished both, all without being over aggresive in any way at all.

Another crystal clear example that banning people based on going over a number of hits is absolute nonsense!

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

There is something wrong with this picture.A young jockey goes and puts his life on the line,followed by an ambulance.He does his best to win and to avoid being killed.He might have found a spot in the field so that his horse was covered up instead of going to the front.But that would have put his friends at risk. he does what he is paid to do .He wins the race. Then he is called in and has the book thrown at him. He is paid nothiong for his win. The owner gets to keep his prise, the trainer gets to keep his share. Sounds crazy? Well it is.In no other sport is the participant treated like the young jockey.The tennis star, the golf star, the soccer star are paid enormous sums of money, with no risk to their lives.In fact in golf and tennis they are paid just to turn up.They don’t have to win.How come jockeys are not paid appearance money?Most stars earn over $200,000 a year,many get multiples of that,so where did the jockeys go wrong?No agents to negotiate,no sponsors to boost their wages?So the powers that be take advantage of their weakness and treat them like criminals.No proper health insurance,no serious pension plans no nothing. And nobody says a word in their defence.Tony and Ruby must realise that without the others they would not have a job themselves. But do they contribute to a pension for all?I don’t think so. Do they come to the rescue of the lesser ones?Will the successful ones speak up for Mackay?Now is the time for Hughsie to speak up.But he spends the winter in the sun!If the jockeys cannot speak for themselves then the press should speak for them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.