The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Newmarket’s Going

Home Forums Horse Racing Newmarket’s Going

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    newyork
    • Total Posts 215

Just read that Michael Prosser is hoping the rain arrives on Friday evening so he doesn’t have to water the track.

Is this guy for real! the going is currently good with no rain forecast till Friday we have had one of the wettest and coldest winters and spring on records surly there will be plenty of moisture in the ground so why on earth would he want to water?????

What about horses who want fast ground,when will this obsession with watering tracks end.

Message to Michael please leave the track to nature and lay off the taps

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

Newmarket was always renowned for having good going at all times of the year. There is no need to water there and indeed on most other courses. Clerks of Courses are trying to get "perfect" going always and it’s not possible with the British climate.

How many courses can’t take more than a shower of rain before there is false ground caused by over-watering.

One of my local tracks, Nottingham, is one of the worst. A day of moderate rain just before a meeting soon turns the going soft/heavy with multiple non-runners.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16961

I hope the rain does arrive and soften the ground a little but then I want it to disappear again. Wouldn’t want another Guineas meeting like last years, wet, dreary and damp for both days.

Having backed Dawn Approach to win the Guineas I’m hoping the ground will stay good. I don’t think Michael Prosser will water unless absolutely necessary. My 1000 Guineas choice Sky Lantern will want the ground to be like a road if she is going to reverse form with Hot Snap :P and my other choice What A Name has not won on good to firm.

I always thought Newmarket’s Rowley Mile course had drainage, so if he did need to water the excess would drain away and it would quickly dry out.

Fingers crossed for a sunny Guineas meeting and some brilliant racing. :D Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

Musselburgh are currently watering to maintain Good ground for Friday’s meeting.

Firstly what is wrong with some proper good to firm ground? I appreciate Musselburgh dries out quicker than most other tracks but this obsession with watering is hard to fathom.

What is due on Friday around Edinburgh? Heavy rain!

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

Light breezes and warm sunshine for several days here now and forecast to carry on through until Satuday. I can’t imagine the Rowley being anything but fast by the weekend if left to its own devices. It drains like lightening up there on the chalk and is open enough to catch the full effect of the drying wind.

Will DA have the speed to keep him in the race? :?

…being my last remaining investment in the race I sorely hope so. :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

York was being watered yesterday, two weeks ahead of the Dante Meeting :?

Don’t know about Newmarket but the grass in these parts has only recently resumed growth after a bitter March and cold April

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Meetings only this last week have been run on ‘good to firm’ with the representative times no where near good to firm. Take a bucket of water at the moment to turn the conditions the water tables are so high

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

Meetings only this last week have been run on ‘good to firm’ with the representative times no where near good to firm. Take a bucket of water at the moment to turn the conditions the water tables are so high

Maybe elsewhere but not here in Newmarket. I doubt you could find the water table up on the Cambridge Heath with a JCB. :D

Two more days of sharp frosts followed by glorious sunshine now and set to be the same today I think. We only have heavier cloud cover forecast for Saturday at the moment (I swear that race is cursed for photographers! :cry: ) rather than actual rain. I think we’ll be looking at a reasonably fast time for the race.

Perhaps the cold overnight temps will have kept a modicum of moisture in the ground and we’ll get a call of good/firm.

Either way there’ll be no quarter on Saturday for trainers seeking excuses for beaten horses.

If DA does lack that little bit of mid-race speed he might have it all to do when they strike the bushes. :?

Participant
    • Total Posts 16961

Read on RP last night that Michael Prosser has already watered the course and is set to do so again today. For my horse Dawn Approach in the 2000 Guineas this is good news and also for the French filly What A Name, for my each way selection Sky Lantern more to her disadvantage, but you’ll never keep everyone happy just let them all come home sound and safe. :D Jac

Hope you manage to get that some fabulous shots of the runners Hammy, we’ll both be hoping that Dawn Approach comes good tomorrow. :D :wink:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

Hope the wind wasn’t/isn’t blowing when watering. Noticed in the past there can be a golden highway up the rail after watering.

Value Is Everything
    eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Musselburgh are currently watering to maintain Good ground for Friday’s meeting.

Firstly what is wrong with some proper good to firm ground? I appreciate Musselburgh dries out quicker than most other tracks but this obsession with watering is hard to fathom.

What is due on Friday around Edinburgh? Heavy rain!

Spot on Oasisdreamer, it’s been ****ing down there and the ground is very much on the soft side. Disgusting, it’s about time the BHA did something about this.

Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

I was at Musselburgh today and it rained all afternoon. Watering when rain is forecast I just don’t understand.

Funnily enough the course has been watering this week but they managed to maintain good ground all week long per the going descriptions. Per the Racing Post results section 1mm of rain before racing today managed to turn the ground good to soft ( or soft if you ask the jockeys).

BHA directive is for racecourses to provide good to firm ground for flat racing but many Clerks are not delivering and not held accountable either.

Going descriptions in the formbook are a nonsense in many cases and this should be highlighted by trainers, owners and punters alike.

The BHA have a Racing Inspectorate Department to monitor the above but I am lead to believe they are limited by budget constraints.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Lightning quick ground at Newmarket.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

I don’t think it is very firm David, probably predominately good-firm but there’s a strong tail wind. What it does show is those on this thread totally against watering have once again been proven wrong.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

Prominent runners or those with plenty of speed at the trip are going to be greatly favoured today unless they go suicidally fast early.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

What it does show is those on this thread totally against watering have once again been proven wrong.

No it doesn’t, what about Musselburgh yesterday?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.