The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Newcastle – Eider Meeting

Home Forums Horse Racing Newcastle – Eider Meeting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I need a bit of advice, people.

I’m thinking about going down to Newcastle races tomorrow, but will have two nippers aged eight and five in tow. With it being the Eider meeting, I figure it will be a sizeable crowd for the track (and possibly quite a hard-drinking one too), and I’m starting to wonder if its all that good an idea to take the nippers along.

Am I worrying about nothing, and it will all be fine and dandy?

Or will they both be asking for tattoos, broon ale and tabs upon their return, and callin’ me a "soft Southern baaahstid" when I say no?

dprp
    • Total Posts 175

Grassy,

email me asap on David@DavidParryRacing.com. Think that I can help you have a more comfortable day.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

DP – he’s going down with Tom. I’ll get them to give you a buzz.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Hi David

Thanks a bundle – I’ve just sent you an e-mail.

Cheers
    Grass

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Dont forget that Newcastle play Man Utd at 5.15 so the crowd may be on the small side and it is only on Plate day that the place sells out i imagine so all should be okay id imagine.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

I went last year with my son and was a great day. Not as busy as the Northumberland meeting but a still a healthy crowd. More friendlier too. Have a nice day! Might see you if decide to go, mine is now 2 1/2 so little bit more difficulter than last year so hoping weather stays dry so he can play on grass haha

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Not long back, and not a single winner to report (though my 8yo boy did manage to get the second winner on the card, and Elvis Returns e/w). It was a little bit windy, and some fiasco with the bend meant we didn’t catch all seven races, but well worth the visit.

Thanks to everyone who marked my card about the trip – especially David Parry of David Parry Racing Partnerships (how about that for a free plug, DP?) who very kindly hosted myself and the nippers in the DPRP box this afternoon. An extremely kind gesture.

PS. They would like to go to Cheltenham in March, and Auteuil in May – I’d be glad if you could sort it out, David. :mrgreen:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

What did you think of Kalahari King’s race G any chance at Cheltenham?

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

You would be better off asking someone who watched it on the TV, Fist – I forgot to take my bins with me, and couldn’t really tell how well/poorly they were travelling until after the second last. From what LGR says, it sounds like KK was going easy enough, but the pilot got caught napping. I couldn’t say, as my view was not the best.

The front five in the market all came clear of the remainder, so the form is probably reasonably solid, but whether this would give him a chance at Cheltenham, is another matter.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Cheers mate: You would never know with the shrewed Mr Murphy the fact that he drifted is probably the best guide ……..wouldn’t surprise me if he was short of a gallop.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5407

Not long back, and not a single winner to report (though my 8yo boy did manage to get the second winner on the card, and Elvis Returns e/w).

Out of interest GH, are your young’uns developing an enthusiasm for the game to match that of their dad?

I, despite my best endeavours to get them on-side, have long been the lone flag-bearer for the noble game in my ever extending family, most of whom seem to regard my infatuation as no more than a rather strange eccentricity to be grudgingly humoured rather than admired, the betting side in particular.

And – not surprisingly given the succeeding 40 years of familial indifference – way back then it was a sport I unearthed without any parental encouragement whatsoever, quite the opposite really.

Much as I enjoy ploughing a lone furrow, it has nevertheless rankled a bit that I’ve failed to persuade the dear old flesh-and-blood to see the error of their ways.

ReasonoverFaith
    • Total Posts 346

Just got back myself.

The wind! Good grief it was cold there. How some of those hen parties managed to survive in high heels, strappy tops and short skirts I’ll never know.

Anyway, I enjoyed it – despite Ms Davidson beating me in two races today.

Great to have a free bus from Newcastle to the course and the staff at the course were very friendly – as was one bookie. I dropped my racecard and he came after me to give me it back. Very kind of him.

Also, seeing some of the jocks sign autographs before going into the parade ring was a very nice touch.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Out of interest GH, are your young’uns developing an enthusiasm for the game to match that of their dad?

The boy seems hugely indifferent, Drone, despite today’s successes. He was more upset about the blatantly misleading "FunFair This Way" sign at the bottom of the main stand, than he was about the top-weight beating his selection in the Eider.

My daughter, on the other hand, was doling out many a "C’MON!!" throughout the afternoon, though it won’t be until she can count, that she realises such urgings should be restricted to the latter stages of the final circuit, rather than half-way through the first furlong. Bless her.

The upshot is that neither have expressed a vehement distaste for a return visit to a race-track, which is plenty more than I was expecting before we went.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5407

The upshot is that neither have expressed a vehement distaste for a return visit to a race-track, which is plenty more than I was expecting before we went.

A promising start then.

My racecourse debut was delayed until I was a 13yo at Newton Abbot during a summer holiday in Torquay: instantly smitten.

Bite the bullet and treat them to a lazy summer’s afternoon at a Musselburgh/Hamilton Fl*t meeting :)

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3214

The boy seems hugely indifferent, Drone, despite today’s successes. He was more upset about the blatantly misleading "FunFair This Way" sign at the bottom of the main stand, than he was about the top-weight beating his selection in the Eider.

My daughter, on the other hand, was doling out many a "C’MON!!" throughout the afternoon, though it won’t be until she can count, that she realises such urgings should be restricted to the latter stages of the final circuit, rather than half-way through the first furlong. Bless her.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.