The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Newbury on Saturday

Home Forums Horse Racing Newbury on Saturday

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2730

Firstly, if there is a God, this meeting will go ahead. It looks superb. Are they scheduling extra meetings to compensate or is this too obvious ?

Secondly, i have to laugh at Henderson’s entries in the opening Novice hurdle – even if they all don’t run, are there that many jockeys available ?!

Seriously have to question his entries and race schedule management. A short spell of bad weather should not throw this big a spanner in the works. Some decent races over the last couple of months with only one or sometimes zero Henderson entries and we’re now in February.

ZarkavaZarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4708

Poor man. Schedules in a perfect time for his horses to have a prep for Cheltenham and now looks as if the opportunity will be lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uSTOHa4Im4

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4607

Firstly, if there is a God, this meeting will go ahead. It looks superb. Are they scheduling extra meetings to compensate or is this too obvious ?

The BHA are inviting courses to submit applications to stage an NH turf fixture on Saturday if they are "confident of beating the weather".

MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2730

The BHA are inviting courses to submit applications to stage an NH turf fixture on Saturday if they are "confident of beating the weather".

They should be looking at extra meetings in the next couple of weeks.

Also, can’t they just reschedule races ? This rule about group races in close proximity – why does racing continually shoot itself in the foot ?

phil walkerphil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1378

Believe that Musselburgh want to reschedule their abandoned Sunday meeting to this weekend.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

They’ve added the Scilly Isles from Sandown to the proposed card but forecast is for a frost every night and possible low of -9 for tomorrow in the Newbury area. Though the Met Office is not quite so pessimistic, the North Easterly winds wont offer much thaw either.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ … ather.html

stodge
    • Total Posts 92

I find Henderson’s attitude astonishing. This is Winter – we have it at this time most years. Up to last week, we had hardly lost a meeting. Now, we have a couple of weeks of cold weather and he is pressing the panic button and so are one or two others.

There is enormous redundancy already in the NH season without staging extra meetings. Cheltenham is still a few weeks away. Henderson’s problem seems to be that he wants the NH season to operate to suit him and that includes the weather.

A better trainer would be flexible and able to deal with the vagaries of a British winter without throwing his toys out of the pram.

I imagine IF Newbury is lost on Saturday, there’ll be a clamour to run it next Wednesday or next Friday. I don’t personally agree with that – Newbury choose to race this time of year, they take a calculated risk with the weather even with their expensive frost sheets and fleeces or whatever.

IF the meeting is lost, let other courses benefit for a change.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4568

Believe that Musselburgh want to reschedule their abandoned Sunday meeting to this weekend.

They have done and the entries have appeared today. Prize money is a little down on what was originally planned for last Sunday, to £75,000 from £90,000, and some race conditions have been tweaked a little, particularly in view of the clash with Newbury. Weather forecast is for night temperatures above freezing from tomorrow through to the meeting, but a note of caution is that the forecast was favourable last weekend.

Full marks to the Musselburgh executive for showing a little more get and go than many.

Rob

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

I find Henderson’s attitude astonishing. This is Winter – we have it at this time most years. Up to last week, we had hardly lost a meeting. Now, we have a couple of weeks of cold weather and he is pressing the panic button and so are one or two others.

There is enormous redundancy already in the NH season without staging extra meetings. Cheltenham is still a few weeks away. Henderson’s problem seems to be that he wants the NH season to operate to suit him and that includes the weather.

A better trainer would be flexible and able to deal with the vagaries of a British winter without throwing his toys out of the pram.

I imagine IF Newbury is lost on Saturday, there’ll be a clamour to run it next Wednesday or next Friday. I don’t personally agree with that – Newbury choose to race this time of year, they take a calculated risk with the weather even with their expensive frost sheets and fleeces or whatever.

IF the meeting is lost, let other courses benefit for a change.

A trainer voices concern about losing a major meeting completely and you find that astonishing?

I for one don’t what to see the Game Spirit lost nor the Betfair Hurdle. I couldn’t care less if they arranged them to run at Yarmouth as long as they don’t lose them but Newbury are working their butts off to try and stage it. stuff the other courses if Newbury can do it they deserve first crack should it have to be moved IF POSSIBLE

Nickys trained over 30 winners at the Festival and there’s not many more flexible than him.

Newbury chose this time of the year for the race do they?

You obviously know very little about annual fixture allocation. Note the if possible above.

stodge
    • Total Posts 92

A trainer voices concern about losing a major meeting completely and you find that astonishing?

I for one don’t what to see the Game Spirit lost nor the Betfair Hurdle. I couldn’t care less if they arranged them to run at Yarmouth as long as they don’t lose them but Newbury are working their butts off to try and stage it. stuff the other courses if Newbury can do it they deserve first crack should it have to be moved IF POSSIBLE

Nickys trained over 30 winners at the Festival and there’s not many more flexible than him.

Newbury chose this time of the year for the race do they?

You obviously know very little about annual fixture allocation. Note the if possible above.

No, they are races, NOT Newbury’s races. If another venue running at midweek can pick up these races, I’d rather that happened to be honest. It would still be the Game Spirit or the Denman if it were run at Kelso or Sandown. After all, we’ve moved races like the Welsh National, the Tingle Creek and the King George VI Chase in the past to other venues, so why couldn’t we move these?

Again, we saw this from Henderson last year – the big trainers want races run to suit their horses at times that suit them – where’s the flexibility in that? We’ve seen both Henderson and Nicholls cajole the BHA into putting on races specifically to suit certain horses (Denman) and that’s outrageous.

Take LONG RUN – if the Denman is lost, why doesn’t Henderson send him for the Racing Post Chase if he wants a run? – he might have to give some weight away to handicappers but he’s a Gold Cup winner. Dessie ran in handicaps, it won’t harm LONG RUN.

This fixture has been part of Newbury’s calendar for at least 40 years so presumably they "want" this meeting. It’s been abandoned a fair few times but that’s a risk of racing in winter in this country – we’ve got used to some milder weather but in the 1980s for example, we had some bad winters with lots of abandonments – the world didn’t end then and it won’t end now.

I hope Newbury survives – it will be a testament to the fleeces first used to save this meeting six years ago during a similar cold spell. The limitations of said covers have been well exposed since but they’ve undoubtedly saved a number of fixtures.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

I don’t really understand why people get so worked up by this. i’ve read posts on the betfair forum where people are going on about watching the newbury webcam all day, reading all the weather reports etc. And I thought I was sad.

Don’t really understand the obsession unless you have a large bet on the meeting to be on or off.

And to be honest in that case, I believe you should always bet in a negative fashion, i.e. the meeting to be off, as most people are optimists and like to think they’ll get their entertainment in.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

Firstly, if there is a God

There isn’t. :(

Looking forward to Friday.

Surely if Newbury can get racing on by then, it will be the best place to run?

value is everything
    bozlikebozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1678

Firstly, if there is a God, this meeting will go ahead. It looks superb.

Looks like a you can give church a miss on Sunday :lol:

@TomBarkley87
    topweighttom.blogspot.com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.