The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

New Article

Home Forums Horse Racing New Article

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Just posted a new article. From now on, I won’t be creating a new topic every time as I think that would just test everyone’s patience. Feel free to check my blog whenever you want and any comments are still most welcome.

Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

Not a favourite subject of mine but it seemed well enough written, worthy of better than a blog I’d have thought although the paragraph about doctors, nurses etc seemed superfluous but I’m not the best to judge these things.

Which Rae Guest are you referring to ?  as the only one I know is a male trainer, yet you say this :<br>"My particular favourite came from Rae Guest. She said that it was a shame for Fran as he kept getting himself into ‘silly little bits of trouble’. Bless."

now I could take issue with this as if you are referring to a female Rae Guest, then using ‘Bless’ seemed condescending to me and if you were writing for profit then you would have to take the female readership into account I would have thought, even in this male dominated environment wouldn’t you ? as it can give the impression that this is your attitude to all women in general, which from what I’ve read of you Andrew I don’t think it is.   Either way, Bless – not a good choice in my opinion.

Keep going :)  

• Total Posts 1904

Yes, well spotted. A genuine error, similar to the Arkle/Champion Chase mix-up in my previous piece. The result of trying to rush to get it ready.  Obviously something I need to work on.

However, the effect I was going for was to suggest that Fran Ferris was being treated as though he were a naughty little schoolboy, rather than a sportsman found guilty of corruption. Had I got the trainer’s gender correct, then that confusion would not have arisen. I have corrected it now.

You may be right about the paragraph in question. I was in two minds about leaving it in, and there may be a touch too much bile in it.

But thanks for taking the time to read it and to comment on it.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3089

<br>Final line – ‘awaken the sport to the danger it is in’.

I assume the danger you mean is the fact that punters might be deterred from betting on racing, thus affecting the funding of the sport.

But you haven’t actually mentioned that anywhere in the article, so that as a conclusion, it’s basically meaningless.

If that isn’t what you mean, then I’m still left none the wiser as to what is the danger?

You must know what you mean, I suspect I know what you mean, but the reader has to be told what you mean.

AP

• Total Posts 1904

Another fair point. The article was originally much longer, and went on to talk about the effects of this verdict and elaborate on what the danger to the sport would be. I cut it down because I felt it was verging on an essay and that it would be better to concentrate on the case itself and the reaction to it. However, the effect, as you say, is to leave the meaning hanging a little. Perhaps I could lose the final line.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

I think its a very good article: your opinions are clear (and you state them vehemently: you really make the jockeys and their excuses seem pathetic), its articulate and funny (in the right way), and it has momentum (it seems the right length, it has the right pacing). I like the way you’ve started both of your columns with a quote from a comedy too.

By the way, if you don’t want to create a new thread for every article, why don’t you ‘bump’ this thead whenever you write something new? or add a ‘last updated: – – – ‘ sign in your signature? Otherwise I’ll probably forget to check, and I’d like to keep updated.

• Total Posts 1904

Thanks NWRA for your kind words.

If no-one has any objections, I will do as suggested and bump this thread to the top each time I post a new article.  

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5112

How about a few articles on cricket come April?

Wistful recollections of a lazy summer’s afternoon at New Road, Worcester would fit the bill nicely. My one and only visit to that lovely ground coincided with a Graeme Hick century…which was nice.

Ever read any Neville Cardus? He could string a few words together.

Keep ‘bumping’

There seem to be several on here with Blogs. If there was sufficient interest it may be worth considering a ‘Blogspot’ sub-forum on the main page.

<br>

(Edited by Drone at 4:20 pm on Feb. 25, 2007)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I liked it also, a good effort !<br>:cheesy: :cool:

• Total Posts 1904

Thanks Dave and Drone

I think if you’d paid your entrance money and Hick hadn’t scored a century, you’d be entitled to a refund.

Worcester is a lovely ground, but Edgbaston is about five minutes away from where I work, so I may be taking a few early afternoons. Hoping to catch Hampshire there in May, if Warne is still playing for them.

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Worcester is a lovely ground, but Edgbaston is about five minutes away from where I work, so I may be taking a few early afternoons.

Wise choice.  In the words of the song, ‘I’d rather be a Bear than a Pear….’

Mike

• Total Posts 1904

Just posted a new article up, slightly delayed – if I were doing this for a living, I think I would have missed the deadline by about 12 hours.

Also just noticed the last comment from Betlarge – are there any more words to that song?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

<br>Nice one, Aranalde!<br>Loved the opening GBS quote; succint, and so very, very true.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Best one yet I think, your not that late either Aranalde!!!

I think you’ve managed to capture some of the mood really well through your writing and I agree completely with your assessment of the C4 team.. Wholesale changes are required. Cattermole was useless during the morning line today, he is not a presenter.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3089

<br>Golden rule – if you are praising someone, nobody minds if you get the spelling wrong, but if you are critcising, the message is blunted. There’s no ‘B’ in Francome.

Didn’t watch any of the C4 coverage, so can’t comment on the rest, but it neatly explains why those of us with RUK count our blessings. Nice piece, much better than the earlier ones in my view as it’s tighter, more focussed on the subject and it paints a picture that works even if you didn’t watch C4.  

AP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.