The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Neptune Collonges..Gold Cup??

Home Forums Horse Racing Neptune Collonges..Gold Cup??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

I still believe there is 33/1 about, re: N.C. for the Gold Cup.

But does anyone know if PN has definitely CONFIRMED N.C. is going for the Gold Cup? :roll:

May he go for one of the handicaps? He did beat a reasonable field giving weight away on Saturday. If N.C. is going for the Gold Cup, 33/1 is indeed a steal, as Francome stated on Saturday. :)

regards,

doyley

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

He’ll be going for the Gold Cup.

I backed him, each-way, for last year’s race and was getting reasonably excited when he was still leading, and travelling well, four out. But he was readily outpaced turning for home and I can’t see things being any different this year.

If there are any firms paying four places on the race, then he’s worth a bet, otherwise he probably won’t trouble the big three.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Jumping the latter fences at Cheltenham entirely error-free remains a bit of a problem with him also, and overall I think I’d prefer my Gold Cup aspirant to have a better record over fences at the course than 0-4.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I had thought about Neptune Collonges earlier in the season as an e/w but then Nicholls said that his intended target would be punchestown again, but that he would probably also run in gold cup, which didnt sound too inspiring.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3214

As Saturday demonstrated, Neptune Collonges likes going right-handed over fences and we also know he stays well – so if it was my choice, he’d go for the Betfred Gold Cup off top weight, which would push most of the field out of the handicap.

Just a pity he can’t do that and Punchestown as they fall in the same week.

AP

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

That was no gold cup trial on Saturday and there’s nothing to say Neptune hs improved……as he trired his jumping was downright dangerous.

How Jonjo ever won a race with Butler’s Cabin beats the hell out of me he was dropping himself out after 3 fences and as Jonjo says it’s the horses head that’s the problem not his fitness.

So in affect NC has really beaten 1 horse who is no great shakes.

I honestly think he’s no where near good enough to send to Cheltenham this year not even for a place. If the owner wants to send him so he can tell his friends he has a runner in the Gold Cup then that’s up to him but he would be much better heading of to try and pick up a another nice race in his own class. Some horses you just don’t run in Gold cups……..especially if there are other good races to win with them in their own class.
    Compare him to say Turpin Green………Turpin Green is the sort of horse who you couldn’t trust these days to go for a race like the one in Punchestown and be sure he would run well……I’d rather put my trust in Neptune………for me TG is as well taking his chance in the Gold Cup as he has proved he can jump and stay well enough to possible get a place and be ridden from anywhere.

Neptune likes to be up there and and last year he led for along way but he was there on sufference and all he did was get in the way at the end of the day.

if he tries to lay up with Denman on the second circuit, the way he jumps when tiring, he would be very likely to end up on the deck and be a danger to himself and others….hold him up and he’ll run like a cow….The owner should stop dreaming and leave the bloody horse at home and forget the Gold Cup or even picking up place money or he might just not have horse to dream about. IMO

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

So a solid, front-running, high class and consistent performer like Neptune Collonges shouldn’t be allowed to contest the Gold Cup, but an unpredictable, moody nut-job like Turpin Green should?

You’ve come out with some rubbish in your time, FOF, but that’s the best yet.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

If there is one horse that John Hales shouldn’t send to Cheltenham, it’s this one. He just doesn’t like the track and I’d love to see him run in the Irish Grand National. Right-handed track on fairly decent ground and he could go close.

Kalidor
    • Total Posts 96

an unpredictable, moody nut-job like Turpin Green

:lol: :lol: :lol: class!

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Unpredictable, moody nut jobs have a fairly good Gold Cup record all in all. I have to agree that Neptune Collonges simply isn’t good enough to mix it with Denman in the Gold Cup because he’s fairly one dimensional in his style whereas a horse like Turpin Green (utter rogue that he is) is capable of running into the frame as he showed last year.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

If the GC was run on a flat right handed track Neptunes Collonges would deserve to be a lot shorter than he is…

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Why bother Rory LGR is just a silly young man with no idea about racing.

He writes this "But he was readily outpaced turning for home and I can’t see things being any different this year."

and then when I suggest the horse would be better going for a race and earn some corn because it’s a much tougher race this year………..he pulls the post apart… latches on to a comparison which was not the point of the post and gets stuck into me…. The nature of a man with a huge chip on his shoulderwho is unhappy with his lot.

beckster
    • Total Posts 292

well i agree n diagree with this nipper has ran some ood rAces and won some hes a good stayer gd jumper, however i hear from work although he won last week the jumping wasent great,,,but ile defo have an e/way bet if he runs in g,cup x

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Nobody has any idea about racing compared to you, FOF, as you are clearly the most supreme equine intellect in the world.

I bow down in admiration great one…

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

What a childish post LGR grow up FFS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.