The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

National Hunt Season, what are you looking foward to??

Home Forums Horse Racing National Hunt Season, what are you looking foward to??

• This topic has 13 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Coggy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    fitzer1987fitzer1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 221

As the summer winds down to a close,(if you could call it a summer) and the days get shorter and even colder it means that at least quality jumps racing is back on the horizon!!

Without doubt I am looking foward to seeing one horse more than any again this season as Peddlers Cross takes to chasing. What an effort that was in the CH this year. On reflection I dont think he should of ran at Aintree and I would put a line through that effort after such a valiant run at the festival!!

I think this horse will be unstopable this year and it wouldnt suprise me if he turns up for the Arkle and hacks up unbeaten over fences!!

In general I am just really looking foward to jumping taking over again, I do like the big flat meetings but I find the sport of the jumping more exciting and finding winners easier, especialy juicy ones. I really hope we do not get another artic blitz this year as it really was a pain in the backside, sort of ruined the holidays a bit having no big meetings on the 26th of December!!

thehorsesmouththehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5475

The horse I’m looking forward to seeing most is my old friens Quito De La Roque. I’ve been with him since his handicap hurdle win at the Fairyhouse festival last year, a race which turned into a real war of attrition. That day he showed what he was all about: staying and a will to win.

I am guilty of believing this horse had limited options last year. After some relentless wins in Graded chases last year, I thought perhaps 3 miles on quick ground would be plenty short for him. However, his most impressive performance came on good ground at Punchestown in a truly devastating display. That win opened up many doors for the horse imo.

EmmyKEmmyK
    • Total Posts 166

If any one of the following things happen I will be delighted

Joncol picking up a race, he’s such a battler and deserves it.

Houblon Des Obeaux i’m insistent will have a brilliant season, so hopefully he’ll pick up something half decent. Too much of a mudlark to pick up a festival win, but he’s a good horse and will go well.

Time For Rupert beating Long Run in ANYTHING would make me the happiest person alive for a while!

RubyisgodinthesaddleRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

Loving the new Irish Horse’s coming through.

Bout Time we got moving forward…Willie Mullins with more stock from big owners can only mean good news.

peter .hpeter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1250

A horse i am really excited about is a novice chaser by the name of

Dunowen Point

. If like me you become so starved of jumping that you tune into summer jumping, then you should know this one already. He has shown amazing prospect so far over hurdles and over the bigger obstacles. He’s from Old Vic, so you know he’s got promise. I wouldn’t be surprised if this one makes it to the Festival as an Arkle contender and i reckon we may be looking at a very useful stayer one day. That’s right, i’m eying up the Grand National already! Seriously in 3/4 years i reckon he will be a serious shot.

Interested in seeing the new "Becher’s". Gonna be weird to see such a "daunting" fence that some jockeys can actually see over… while standing on the landing side.

Midnight Chase

has been a old friend of mine for what seems like forever. Really excited to seeing him hopefully take his chances in the real staying chases. I cross my fingers for Becher and Welsh National bids on his way to a Grand National pop…

I’ll come back when i get my proper list sorted :lol:

nighthorsenighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Is it me not quite getting what’s going on, or are the Irish the only people now deliberately breeding good, strong old-fashioned chasers?

A lot of our current jumpers are failed "flatties", and I know that works quite well for hurdling, but I think so many of our recent crops are really not tough and strong enough for the chasing game.

I am quite prepared to be shot down in flames, but I really do think "they just don’t breed them like they used to".

They seem to be just that bit more fragile. It seems to me there are more horses breaking legs or breaking down. They are just not built (ie – not enough bone) for the game, but if they don’t do the biz on the flat, a lot of them are tried over jumps which they are just not built for.

no idea
    • Total Posts 685

Hurricane Fly- best hurdler for decades
    Quevega in March
    Long Run-could run up a sequence of Gold Cups-the next Arkle?
    Big Bucks
    Peddlers Cross.
    I could go on but won’t

trapper john
    • Total Posts 196

agree with fitzer think peddlers cross could be a machine over jumps and could be intersting for the arkle even as early as now

AndyRACAndyRAC
    Participant
    • Total Posts 318

Is it me not quite getting what’s going on, or are the Irish the only people now deliberately breeding good, strong old-fashioned chasers?

A lot of our current jumpers are failed "flatties", and I know that works quite well for hurdling, but I think so many of our recent crops are really not tough and strong enough for the chasing game.

I am quite prepared to be shot down in flames, but I really do think "they just don’t breed them like they used to".

They seem to be just that bit more fragile. It seems to me there are more horses breaking legs or breaking down. They are just not built (ie – not enough bone) for the game, but if they don’t do the biz on the flat, a lot of them are tried over jumps which they are just not built for.

Funnily enough I’ve wondered that recently. Especially with the emphasis now on speed, stamina is a dirty word. So were are all the future NH horses going to come from….

Saying that, I could be wrong……

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

So many many horses, this is what separates this to flat racing! Big Bucks, Denman, Quito De La Roque, Weapons Amnesty, Zarkander, Grandouet, Quevega, Hurricane Fly, Grand Crus, Al Ferof, Baby Run, Junior, Chicago Grey, Sprinter Sacre, Spirit Son, Sanctuaire, Oscars Well, Casual Conquest, Bobs Worth, Noble Prince, Riverside Theatre.

Think that covers some of them! :)

phil walkerphil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1378

Totally agree about Peddlers Cross, as has been said he shouldn’t have run at Aintree but ran a hell of a race at Cheltenham. and am looking forward to seeing him over fences.

Saying that, the horse’s regular rider Jason Maguire is on the sidelines again after a bad fall recently (at Cartmel?). Haven’t heard how he’s progressing but look forward to seeing him back in the saddle in time for the start of the new season.

Roseblossom
    • Total Posts 350

I’m really hoping Long Run develops into a great champion, I love everything about the horse and both Robert and Sam W-C have been great. Sam’s had so much stick being an amateur but whenever I’ve met him or Robert Waley-Cohen they’ve been really nice and almost embarrassed by people’s congratulations.

Also hope Weapon’s Amnesty comes back in good form. And so many going novice chasing to look forward to!

My wish is Nicholls sticks with his plans (for a change) and brings a fresh Denman to Cheltenham, and that I get to applaud him back into the enclosure for his farewell appearance. I so hoped he was going to win last year (for all I love Long Run, he has years ahead) and I really want him to sign off with one last epic Gold Cup performance.

Phil – Jason has broken vertebrae in his neck so surely he won’t be back for some time?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Agree on RWC and Sam Roseblossom – speaks volumes that the day after finishing runner-up in the National he was at the Pytchley Hunt P2P at Guilsborough to ride one of his dads :)

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Novice Chasing !!

Peddlers Cross, Punjabi, Cue Card, Menorah.

Roll on the winter, can’t wait

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.