The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

National Hunt Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing National Hunt Racing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

According to an article in the paper today, a report commissioned by the British Horseracing Board shows that Jump racing has become big business with millions of pounds of investment creating thousands of jobs and boosting corporate sponsorship. About £420 million has been invested in it during the last 4 years and a further £300 million is forecast to be spent by 2011 – football is the only sport with higher investment.

The jump racing industry employs 88000 people and improved tracks and facilities have helped increase racecourse attendances by 42% between 2001 and 2005. Sponsorship is booming with revenues of £23 million last year. Jump racing accounts for 40% of the bookmaking industry’s total annual british turnover and 75% in the winter months.

As National Hunt racing is my favorite sport then I am delighted to read this but I am surprised at the some of the figures quoted ( especially regarding the bookmaker’s turnover ). Seems that Jump racing is doing a lot better than it was forecast to do a few years ago.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

The jump racing industry employs 88000 people

Seems a bit high and probably includes those whose work includes an element of involvement in the industry

But interesting figures all the same

rolandroland
    • Total Posts 302

i thought the banning of fox hunting is supposed to put the nail in the coffin of jumps, at least thats what the hunters keep saying!

SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

Quote: from roland on 7:03 pm on Oct. 29, 2006[br]i thought the banning of fox hunting is supposed to put the nail in the coffin of jumps, at least thats what the hunters keep saying!

Yeah…but its not really banned is it ??  I thought most groups got around the laws.

SHL

richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Be most intereted to know the source of that info, it doesn’t seem to stack up with industry statistics.

For example according to the recently published BHB Economic Impact Study there are 22, 000 core racing industry employees and 25, 000 secondary employees in the whole of racing related industries – flat and jumps.

Attendance comparisons with 2001 are meaningless. That wa the year of the foot and mouth epedemic.  Because of meeting cancellations jump attendances were around 500, 000 down on the previous year.

Jumps and flat racing is in no better state in 2006 than it has been in the immediately previous years. 2007 is likely to see a decline in both codes, with significant cuts in prize money, more GB horses being bought by overseas buyers and racecourses prioritising corporate guests more and more at the expense of bread and butter racing fans.

richard

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

The article was published in the financial section of the Sunday Mail which is probably the last place that most racing people would have expected to find it!<br>The  BHB arranged for the report to be done so I am unsure whether some of the findings have been exaggerated or not – I was also surprised by some of the figues quoted. I do not know whether the Racing Post have commented on it as I have not bought it yet this week.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.