The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

National Hunt Bulletin

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips National Hunt Bulletin

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 59

Three horses of interest to me today but one standout chance.

I have to give

Run With The Wind

a very decent shout in the Listowel maiden hurdle at 2.30pm. He has campaiged at the best tracks in the past with some decent form and last week’s flat victory suggests he will love the soft-heavy ground (a little surprising to me on past performances albeit he is by Sadler’s Wells). A lot of winners came from his last hurdles run including my recent winner Viaduct Joey. It will be ironic if my original predivtion of him winning a Listowel maiden hurdle comes true after the recent postponement. The booking of Barry Geraghty is a clear statement of intent.

Only Witness

: 3.55pm Worcester (Breandan Powell/Noel Fehily)3m handicap hurdle

Modest ability but improved throughout last season. back after a holiday of 11 days off his lowest ever mark (90) and I hope he runs well for a while as on soft ground he will be a reasonable prospect.

The third horse is

Lough Derg Way

(1.40pm Worcester). I haven’t had time to assess his chances although the form of his two hurdles runs is very average. I will watch the race with a view to making a decision on his future chances. The form of his two point wins was nothing special.

• Total Posts 59

No-one will thank me for putting up an evens loser but the purpose of my posting is to shed some light on relatively "unexposed" Irish point winners and not to pinpoint early morning gambles.

This horse will win races into the future and the object is highlight horses that should be winning soon.

Two winners and second from three nominated horses yesterday and it’s fair to say that anyone with the time to observe the market would see that both winners were strongly fancied.

Lough Derg Way

was available at 11/4 (SP 5/2) beforehand and observing that

Only Witness

was backed from 12’s to 5’s just reinforces my credo that it’s time that makes the difference between winning and losing at this game: time to study, time to reflect and time to observe-and something becoming increasingly scarce as we do our best to fend off these recessionary times.

As it’s an ever-evolving guessing game I will try to couch my language with more considered commentary always bearing in mind that the market can be critical i.e. not put impediments in place before all matters are fully considered, the market being the most obvious.

You will find that the vast majority of horses nominated on this log win races (and win races!) and the journey should be as enjoyable as the destination!

The "loser"

Run With The Wind

ran a perfectly respectable race. It was the only race I managed to watch "live" and my immediate thoughts were that my original observation about a possible dislike of heavy ground might have been accurate. However, the Fahey’s think very highly of their bumper winner (I often observe that winning a hurdle at the first attempt points to well above average ability) and it was no disgrace to finish second.

Run With The Wind

would be my idea of the winner of a valuable 2m handicap hurdle this season. Sometimes, despite your greatest confidence, you will just meet a better horse on the day.

It was on this weekend in 2009 that I found Ionisphere (multiple track winner) running and winning at Rathcannon (County Limerick) and RWTW last year. The new season starts there tomorrow and the ham sandwiches and flask are at the ready!

• Total Posts 59

Pride Of The Artic-2005 g Definite Article (Peter Fahey)

11th September: Listowel (probable going: soft) 3.30pm 5yo+ 3m maiden hurdle – Mr M Fahey (5)

I have often remarked and observed that many winning pointers very often win on the track in the same season they are successful between the flags and Pride Of The Artic is a case in point, even if you have to forgive him for the grammatically-challenged name! Easy winner of a Limavady 5yo maiden last October it was thought that “this nice horse” would be sold or turn up in a maiden hurdle but, instead, almost 6 months later he ran in a 2m3f Naas (yielding) bumper and put some decent rivals in their place at odds of 16/1.

Fahey was quoted immediately afterwards as saying: “The (soft) ground was a bit of a worry as he’d prefer it better and it looked a good race. At home he works like a good horse and showed that today and stayed at it well. I thought he might have been sold but we decided to wait for good ground.”

It was indeed a good race in my view as he beat Charles Byrne’s favourite, Shrapnel (a half-brother to Weapons Amnesty) into second place and running into fifth was a lovely mare, Andunowhat, whom I am particularly sweet on.

He was given one subsequent spin in a Cork (good) maiden hurdle over three miles in April but things went badly askew for connections when he no race, was struggling throughout and pulled up four from home at a shortish 6/1. He has been ridden in all races to date by the trainer’s nephew James.

He possesses a nice pedigree and these wins are particularly rewarding for the Faheys as Seamus Fahey trained the dam, Tricias Pride (where’s the apostrophe??!!) to win two bumpers and a hurdle in 1999/2000 ridden by none other than today’s trainer. Tricias Pride has had two other runners both of which were placed in bumpers and over hurdles but Pride Of The Artic is her first winner. They have two full-brothers and a full-sister at home yet to race.

Sunday is very much a “retrieval of reputation” mission after his Cork escapades. In different circumstances I could possibly fancy a previously pulled up runner if he had shown some spark but I need some concrete evidence of hurdling ability before pursuing a greater interest here. I will keep an eye on the market for some hints but, for now, he’s best watched. On reflection the soft ground may also be a negative.

After I wrote this POTA was withdrawn on account of the soft ground.

Pride Of The Artic

: Navan 2.15pm 5yo+ maiden hurdle (good, good-yielding in places) Mr M Fahey (5)

He will probably get away with the ground provided no further rain falls. As I write he is friendless in the market at 25/1 but should be watched closely. Peter Fahey scored with the "above average" hurdling debutatnt, Owega Star, yesterday.

The mare, Pharlen’s Dream (1996 Phardante) was useless but as she was a half-sister to the winning chaser Dev (threatened to be an Aintree horse at one stage) and Woodenbridge Dream (winner of two chases for Richard Lee) she was retired to stud in 2003 and that project has been a reasonable success as from her first three foals she has produced the winning mare, Dream Performance (2005 Oscar) – won a mares’ bumper at Bangor last year and

Dont Tell Sailor

(2006 Saddlers Hall g) who won a Dromahane maiden last May for Eugene O’Sullivan.

Dont Tell Sailor

sold for £18,000 at Doncaster that same month and is now with Jennie Candlish.

Don’t Tell Sailor: 4.35 Market Rasen (perfect summer ground) 2m1f 4yo+ novices’ hurdle (Alan O’Keeffe)

It was probably a weak maiden he won (second, Fear Glic, was 4th in a Tramore bumper recently) but he won as he liked and he was labelled “unexposed” at the time.

He was sent hurdling in July to his local track by his new connections and this will be his fourth run over hurdles in conditions’ events today. His first run at Uttoxeter over an extreme 2m7f on good ground (22L 4th/7) was quite eye-catching an impressed the Racing Post observer who wrote: “A horse with size and substance, this was a good performance in a decent contest, boding well for his future.” The winner won since and is rated 118 whilst the 6th has managed a second placing in a handicap hurdle off 90.

He was dropped in distance for his next two runs (both in August) at Southwell (2m good) and Cartmel (2m2f soft) and has been really well beaten in both-66L & 70L respectively. He was actually fancied at Southwell (8’s – 6’s) and the 2nd has since been third in a handicap hurdle off 106 with the 4th winning a novices’ hurdle –rated 111. His Cartmel run saw his well tailed off.

A review of his recent runs on video doesn’t offer a lot of hope in truth. He seems to be regressing judging by the video evidence. Obviously the positives are his first hurdling run together with a pedigree that suggests he may be a chaser in time. Curious that he has been dropped in trip (or alternatively that he was tried at almost 3miles first time out) and he is staying on my watch-list for now.

Hopefully I get the time to post on two further runners today (and at least one tomorrow at Clonmel).

• Total Posts 59

If you are following my nominations I hope you spotted

Paudi The Punter

running in yesterday’s Navan bumper (I failed to get the time to write him up). His SP of 9/2 was very generous indeed and Conor O’Dwyer explained his Roscommon failure as running him back too quickly after his good Gowran run. There was a second runner in the bumper that was of interest to me in the shape of Paul Gilligan’s

Get More

who didn’t run as the market suggested he might. More about him when he runs again.

I am keeping an eye on

Killiney Castle

today. Trained for Barry Connell by Pat Doyle (nursery handler for many of O’Leary’s jumping tyros) he’s been well beaten in a bumper and maiden hurdle since winning a 4yo maiden impressively last February. Described as a "big baby" immediately afterwards I expect time and winter ground to bring out the best of him in time and I’d love to see him run more prominently today than heretofore. He runs at Clonmel in the maiden hurdle at 2.55pm.

Yesterday’s runners saw

Pride Of The Artic

run a blinder against a very decent winner whereas it does look as if

Dont Tell Sailor

has lost all interest in the game.

• Total Posts 59

Update on Nominated Horses:

1. True Blue: good run in a bumper (4th) on only start. Sure to win races.

2. Warrants A Name: second at Worcester on first start; five moderate runs since. Back to the drawing board.

3. Glimmer Star: second in only bumper start; disappointed on only hurdling run when Elliott was quiet. Should be o.k.

4. Millers Reef: beaten favourite in two bumpers. Keep the faith in Bowe.

5. Dr Tommy: almost did me a turn at huge odds (25/1) but bumper winner and hurdling prospect after two recent spins over timber. Needs to repay my faith.

6. Mr O’Shea: Disappointing on only bumper start to date; trainer will redeem himself in time.

7. Run With The Wind: one of my favourite winners last season; huge-priced flat winner and certain hurdling winner after excellent second recently. Festival two-mile handicap hurdle notebook horse.

8. Viaduct Joey: did all that was expected of him when landing us a nice touch in a maiden hurdle.

9. Call ‘Em Home: similar to Millers Reef with something to prove after poor initial bumper run.

10. Bach Protector: evidence sought and required; probably summer jumper only.

11. Court In Session: Keighley needs to strike form before this fellow improves.

12. Pride Of The Artic: winner in waiting after excellent third latest.

13. Paudi The Punter: generous 9/2 winner latest

14. Drumlister: speculative interest only for now

15. Hard To Swallow: good second over hurdles recently, will win his share.

16. Micks: hand exposed on most recent run; Christy Roche unlikely to be wrong.

17. Only Witness: handicap hurdle winner at Worcester

18. Lough Derg Way: Worcester maiden hurdle winner

19. Don’t Tell Sailor: looking to be of no account

20. Get More: eight but not beaten too far on only bumper start; trainer knows the time of day.

21. Killiney Castle: longer term project

• Total Posts 59

Selecting 6yo maiden (soft-heavy) winners isn’t my usual cup of tea but I am taking a chance on

Tax Benefit

who also scored a follow-up win in a winners’ event at Lisronagh last March on good ground. The events he won have thrown up a few pointing winners but it will be up to

Tax Benefit

entirely to make his reputation on the track. He had dreadful form in maiden hurdles in 2009 as a 4yo but time off and patience seems to have transformed him into a nice chasing prospect. He signalled that he was a different horse in February at Belharbour when finishing third to Ely Brown (subsequently won a Worcester bumper) and his two wins were “red letter days” for his small midlands trainer Charlie Maguire. Confidence was high before he won his maiden (“We always knew he’d win well when he came right for us”) and, if anything, he was even more impressive in his second victory forcing the pace throughout and coming home by six lengths in the fastest time of the day (“The better ground was a help but he’s improving all the time. I couldn’t believe he’s won so easily and I think he’s a right horse to go to the track with. He’s a fantastic jumper so maybe fences will be his game.”)

He failed to sell for £14,000 at Newbury after his maiden win but is now in training with Anna Bramall from North Yorkshire a trainer with whom I am unfamiliar but presumably related to Mrs Sue Bramall who trained with a modest degree of success in County Wexford some years ago before taking up training in France thereafter if I recall correctly.

By Beneficial out of an unraced Persian Mews mare, Tax Benefit is her fifth foal the best of which has been Betty Is A Lady who won a Gowran Park maiden hurdle for Diarmuid Ryan earlier this year-his first ever winner. The pedigree traces back to both Celestial Gold and L’Escargot.

27th September: Sedgefield (good) 2.50pm 4yo+ 2m4f beginners’ chase (Barry Keniry)

It will be interesting to see how this horse performs now he is in the U.K. The rookie trainer- one second placing from eighteen starters- would not be an overly negative aspect as she has pedigree. Only the likely favourite, Russian War, has previously run over fences and has been costly to follow although there are some decent hurdling debutants. I will keep an eye on the market for any confidence in his chance.

• Total Posts 59

Another six-year-old to note with a stamina-laden pedigree:

Born To Win managed to win two hurdles in 1997 for trainer Michael O’Brien and owner/breeder Tim Conroy and is ultimately the seventh individual winner bred by the Conroy’s foundation mare Mugs Away. This has been a very prolific winning family with the best progeny being Glebe Lad who won the 1999 Irish Grand National. Michael O’Brien has trained most of the winners and, in recent times, Denis Cullen has taken over reins from O’Brien at his Naas, Co. Kildare stables.

Born To Win retired to stud in 1998 for the Conroy’s and has produced ten foals so far the best of which has been the 2004 Lord Americo gelding, Better Times, who won two bumpers for Denis Cullen and Conroy in 2009 and has been showing useful placed form over hurdles since.

Bawn Reagh

became only the dam’s second winner when he collected a 5&6yo geldings maiden (good) at Oldcastle (Co. Meath) last April and having being led out unsold at the Goffs point-to-point sale in early May, twenty days later he fetched £18,000 to the bid of Lucinda Russell, Scotland’s leading trainer. In the maiden race itself the six-year-old good looking son of Alderbrook was always handy but began to make his move after the third last, going through the gap before the second last he was hampered and lost momentum but he gamely battled back to lead before the last and go on to win by three and a half lengths. There were just six runners in the race and recent performances suggest it might be difficult for any of them to progress to winning on the track.

A scan of previous winners going back to 2007 produces only a single track winner in Bearneen Boy –the 2008 winner- who won a bumper for Denis Murphy before being exported to Neil King’s yard where he has managed a solitary chasing success.

2nd October 2011: Kelso (going forecast: good) 6.00pm 4-6yo bumper
    Bawn Reagh 11-00 – G Cockburn (10)

This is a recent stable comment on

Bawn Reagh

: Athletic Irish point to point winner who showed a game attitude to achieve a rating of 84. He is a half brother to bumper winner Better Times, and from a strong listed chase winning family. He will start in a bumper but will be seen at his best in staying hurdles and chases.

The market will anticipate a "plodder" I imagine but it looks a weak race and I will take a much closer look at the betting and form tomorrow.

• Total Posts 59

Rossmore Lad

(2005 g Beneficial), trained by Liam Kenny, came to my attention when running third on his pointing debut last year at Avaune (fourth horse won Clonmel maiden hurdle and Big Bluff (u.r.) was placed in three bumpers). A faller on his next start he won a Cork 5&6yo maiden in early January in fairly convincing fashion and his trainer said afterwards: "This horse’s form was quite good and he will go for a bumper now, that’s provided he’s not sold." So far, the only form coming through from this race has been in point-to-points with four subsequent winners. Plans for a bumper looked very optimistic given the stamina in the family and subsequent runs with Charlie Longsdon.

Historically this race is of note as last year’s winner, Rossbrin, has already won three hurdle races in the U.K. for Anna Brooks. Paul Nichols has successfully trained both Nakai (2007) and the decent stayer Inchidaly Rock (2008) and the 2009 winner, An Toileanach, won a Tipperary bumper.

Rossmore Lad

is well-bred out of an unraced mare who was a half-sister to six-time winning staying chaser, Merlins Dream (Oliver Sherwood). The dam has previously bred James Sheehan’s Jay Lo (Thurles 2m7f maiden hurdle winner and Grade-3 placed), Richard’s Sundance- a nice staying horse for Vic Dartnall (considered good enough to run in the 3m2f Kim Muir at Cheltenham) and Robin Dickin’s three-time 2m5f-3m hurdle winner Badgers Cove.

Rossmore Lad

cost Big Zeb’s owner, Tom Redmond, €21,000 as a foal but, in a sign of the times, only fetched £18,000 as a winning pointer at Brightwells last January just 20 days after his victory and is now trained by Charlie Longsdon.

The six-year-old was given two runs over hurdles (2m5f followed by 2m7f) last spring finishing a well-beaten second on both occasions (at Warwick (winner-rated 121-scored on his only run since) and Fontwell (front four have yet to reappear with the winner running off a decent mark of 125) on good or better ground) although he had the other runners well behind on both starts. In both races he was outstayed up the final straight by superior-rated rivals and this may suggest he will be more at home over three miles.

2nd October 2011: Uttoxeter (good-firm) 5.10pm 3m 0-120 handicap hurdle
    Rossmore Lad (OR 114) 11-11 Kielan Woods (5)

Off the track for 167 days and now ridden by a claimer I would normally like to see this horse run again before deciding if he is a betting proposition in future. Ideally, it would be on winter ground (which he hasn’t yet encountered in the U.K.) and on the back of a promising comeback run that we might be most interested in him. Longsdon gave him only a cursory mention on his website today (“runs in his first handicap”) and I find it hard to encourage anyone to get financially involved until we can adjudicate on his mark of 114. Form from his first run has seen the 4th and 7th home unable to be competitive in handicap hurdles off marks of 100 but, on a more positive note, his second at Fontwell saw two rivals rated 115 and 118 well behind.

Of course he could win and, as usual, it will come down to his price as to whether he is value or not to give you due compensation for the uncertainties I have mentioned. The trainer is in superb form this season with 18 winners on the board already for a strike-rate in excess of 30% and today’s claimer rode a winning bumper favourite for Longsdon just 8 days ago (overall strike-rate for past two seasons over 25%).

I will observe the market closely once again tomorrow before making up my mind but he is certainly no forlorn hope.

• Total Posts 59

Both runners yesterday were certainly fancied by connections and will be winning soon. Naive to think Lucinda Russell might tell us that she actually fancied Bawn Reagh beforehand in this bumper but, for the third occasion since I’ve started this log, a 3mile point winner made his own pace for much of the race and didn’t make it a searching enough test thereby allowing speed horses to get by him late on-a lovely prospect for hurdles and chasing though.

Longsdon’s horse also ran well and it can be tough enough for horses in their first handicap. A mistake three out probably was his undoing.

Having kept my powder dry yesterday I feel an imminent investment coming over the horizon.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I expect from now on that there will be a host of my horses appearing and Tipperary tomorrow (Tuesday) is probably the start.

The record shows that on his debut at Liscarroll (yield-soft) in March 2010

Millcove Bay

finished 9th of 12 but, in fact, he fell at the last when challenging and his final position was achieved when he was remounted. Trained by Eugene O’Sullivan, he fell on his next start four weeks later at Dromohane but the trainer subsequently confessed that he ran him back far too quickly. He then decided to put him away until December last year and this strategy paid off in style when he collected the 4yo maiden at Boulta (Co. Cork) on good ground in the style of a promising horse. Post-race comments are always interesting and O’Sullivan stated:

“This is a mighty four-year-old and he will now go for a bumper when he’s ready.”

This race has produced five subsequent point winners but, so far, nothing has impressed on the track and, I must confess, I am disappointed with this finding because, historically, this is a very good maiden and has produced winners such as Truckers Delight, The Bosses Nephew, Proform Native and All For The Cause. From three divisions in 2009 De Forgotten Man has won twice for Martin Keighley, Native Gallery has won a chase for Ben De Haan and Foot The Bill has showed a modicum of form for Patrick Holmes so there can be plenty of “hope value” invested in the 2010 winner.

A fairly average pedigree with very little of note on the page,

Millcove Bay

(2006 g by Fahris-an unexceptional stallion who is now dead) is the second foal of an unraced Moscow Society mare. The mare has produced three other filly foals so it’s unlikely the page will be improving from that quarter any time soon. The dam is a half-sister to Martin Pipe’s 2m6f chase/3m2f hurdle winner Shannon Water´s, out of 2m4f hurdle winner.

4th October 2011: Tipperary (yielding-soft) 1.55pm 2m 4&5yo maiden hurdle –P D Kennedy (5)

Eugene O’Sullivan was leading points’ handler in 2007/08 with 26 winners but has had declining fortunes in recent years. He trained just 7 winners last year. On the track he has a very poor strike-rate with 14 winners from 396 runners over the past 5 seasons and just three winners (from 78 runners) last year. He is on a current losing streak on the track of 38 runners in 162 days. His last runner on the track was Head Waiter (6th at Galway) on 27th August last. This suggests to me that a financial interest in his horses requires many factors to be in our favour.

Is it significant, I wonder, that Present Citizen won at Rathcannon last weekend from the trainer’s only runner to date in the new point-to-point season?

Connections obviously have had a change of heart about the bumper route and, maybe, just as well because it’s been at least five years since a winner in that category emerged from O’Sullivan’s base at Lombardstown in County Cork. The recent win for O’Sullivan might give this horse an outside chance but there are at least three other horses in the race that I will be watching quite closely.

John Murphy’s

Walter De La Mare

was actually 13th in last years Triumph Hurdle and was beaten less than 20 lengths. He should be a certainty in this grade tomorrow but it looks as if that run flattered him.

Flycorn

, trained by Tom Hogan, was recently second to Frawley at Navan, a very nice prospect for John Kiely, and my notebook horse

Pride Of The Artic

ran a lovely race to be third so it would be nice to see the form franked.

Finally, a horse I mentioned on 25th September,

Killiney Castle

(Pat Doyle/Barry Connell), gets his third spin over hurdles in quick succession here and, although he was well beaten on his latest start, it was a definite improvement from his two previous runs. One to note for the longer term.

• Total Posts 59

Best Served Cold-2006 g King’s Theatre (Michael Hourigan)

Best Served Cold

is the tenth foal produced by Mirana (1989 Ela-Mana-Mou) who was bred by the Aga Khan and was trained by John Oxx to win a 12f Curragh maiden and later ran placed in stakes races back in 1992. She has a typical stout pedigree and many of her foals were always likely to be tried in the national hunt sphere in addition to flat racing. Four of her previous nine foals have won on the flat but, with an eye on the jumping scene, two of these are notable namely Mirpour (1999 Turtle Island g) and Mirjan (1996 Tenby g).

Mirjan won a maiden for Luca Cumani before joining Lenny Lungo where he won 7 hurdle races from 17f-22f and even managed a hat-trick of flat wins for the Scottish trainer. Similarly, Mirpour wona 10f Leopardstown maiden for John Oxx before joining Eoin Griffin and notching 3 hurdle wins (16f-17f) and two chases over 19f and 20f (including Grade 3) in 2003 and 2004. He was also placed in a Galway Hurdle.

His Highness sold the mare in November 2004 for €37,000 (carrying a disappointing Mujahid colt) and

Best Served Cold

is the first foal from the dam sired by a truly national hunt stallion (King’s Theatre). Her only subsequent progeny has been a Sakhee colt born in 2009. Mirana’s new owners got a nice return on this cover by selling

Best Served Cold

to Gigginstown for £32,000 at Doncaster in 2009.

Best Served Cold

ran in four points winning an Affane (good-yielding) maiden (third horse was placed in bumpers and four subsequent point winners) on his first start and was nominated as a bumper horse immediately afterwards. This race produced track winners Benbane Head and Caragh Bridge in 2008 with 2009 victor, Lackamon, scoring for Sue Smith. The bumper plan was shelved and, instead, he contested winners events and managed to succeed in one of these on his third attempt last March at Belclare (soft). In Michael Hourigan’s absence, the winning jockey, John Thomas McNamara (rode him in all 4 points), commented: “He’s a good tough horse and really battled when he had to. He’ll make a smashing staying chaser in time.” He beat the odds-on chance, Phar From A Friend, into second place and this fellow ran sixth in the Fairyhouse P2P bumper.

Best Served Cold

ran once last May in a 2m4f Roscommon bumper (good –yielding) and finished 5th/16, beaten 13.5L, at 11/2 staying on “to reasonable effect” in the straight. He was well-fancied and was backed from 9’s on course with Derek O’Connor’s booking being a pointer in itself. The subsequent form of those that have run since is eye-catching to say the least:

2nd Cairdin: won a 2m2f Galway bumper and second in Listowel maiden hurdle (behind Viaduct Joey)
    3rd All Guns Blazing: third in two handicap hurdles off lowly mark
    4th Tom Horn: won his next three hurdling starts
    6th Zadarska: 3rd in a 17f Cork bumper

4th October 2011: Clonmel (yielding-soft) 4.55pm 2m4f 5-7yo bumper 12-00 Mr M J O’Hare (7)

In the absence of

War Of Words

I am sure that Derek O’Connor would be riding

Best Served Cold

today. The Hourigan horses are running well although they are tending to be placed apart from Run With The Wind’s Listowel win. However, somewhat similar to Eugene O’Sullivan (mentioned in my first dispatch) Hourigan did train a 4yo to win the first point-to-point of the season at Rathcannon last weekend.

The 20 furlongs give this horse a chance of winning a bumper and, having been obviously fancied on his first run, he may start a decent price tomorrow with his claimer on board.

War Of Words (2006 g Dushyantor) Denis Ahern

Out of an unraced half-sister to the excellent chaser Opera Hat and a bumper/hurdle winner in Shean Town the three previous half-brothers to run were all useless. He cost just €5,000 at the 2009 Derby Sale and, like many others, failed to find a new owner last May at Brighwells when led out unsold at £32,000 hence another Irish competitor that would ordinarily earn his corn in the U.K.

Two point runs have yielded a debut 3rd and a Lisronagh maiden win last April. Third on his debut behind one of last year’s potential stars, Saint Roque-trained by Liam Burke but already featuring in early season bulletins from Paul Nicholl’s yard-he followed up 8 weeks later under Derek O’Connor, a race from which the second horse Bhaltair, has already won a bumper and two novices’ hurdles for Donald McCain (bought for £18,000). Connections were not terribly voluble after the race other than noting that O’Connor was impressed, that he was lucky to get away with the good-firm ground and that he was now for sale.

It is interesting to note that since this race’s inception in 2008, six winners have all failed to win on the track with placings in modest bumpers and hurdles being the best achieved.

4th October 2011: Clonmel (yielding-soft) 4.55pm 2m4f 5-7yo bumper 12-00 Mr Derek O’Connor

The form of the trainer is a completely unknown factor. Ordinarily, this horse would be running for new owners and it is 546 days since Ahern last trained a winner under rules. His last runner was on 6th June. The maiden he won is also not a great guide although Bhaltair is disproving that this year somewhat.

Offering the usual hostage to fortune, I would give preference to the Hourigan runner tomorrow as there are too many aspects to

War Of Words

runner that would have to be taken on trust. I would guess the Hourigan horse will offer the value.

Whatever the outcome, it will be an interesting race to watch so we can judge the collateral merits of the form for future reference.

• Total Posts 59

Drumlister (Arthur Moore) – previously mentioned 16/9 18:21 & 21/9 10:05

6th October 2011: Tramore (yielding) 3.45pm 2m 4yo+ Beginners’ Chase (Alan Crowe)

Arthur Moore stated recently in a stable review that this son of Luso had been disappointing over hurdles and that he would be tried shortly over fences. The day has arrived quicker than I might have expected. (My suspicious nature detected an effort to keep the profile very low!).

A friend, in responding to my original bulletin on this horse, suggested that Luso’s had tended to be very disappointing relative to original high expectations (and cost) and that they were " big and slow" and mostly likely to need a distance and winter ground. He also believes that anything more than two efforts on the point-to-point scene puts the horse in a less than stellar category and is also quite tough on younger horses. He wasn’t confident this fellow could ever win but we’ll see now that

Drumlister

tries the bigger obstacles. At 66/1 this morning not much is expected over too short a trip and a much to prove.

A horse of far, far more interest to me today, although I certainly don’t want her winning, is the 6yo Oscar mare

Lady Perspex

who has been on my radar a long time and almost won a fortune for me at Punchestown earlier this year (3/4L second at 25/1 and much bigger on Betfair). Trained by James Sheehan she is out of a triple point-winning mare (who is a half-sister to three winners) and

Lady Perspex

herself is a three-time winning pointer whose younger brother, Moonlight Drive (2006 Oscar g) is proving to be a useful tool and who graduated from a Glenbane maiden last October.

She runs at Tramore at 4.15pm in a 2m6f beginners’ chase (yielding)

Really unlucky not to have won over hurdles (placed three times) connections are launching her over fences today for the first time and a rating, in time, close to her hurdles mark of probably less than 97 would give her some serious opportunities. She’s taking on the boys today and I’m pleased to see Tom Doyle up (he rode her at Punchestown). Hopefully she will be campaigned (clevely) on this unsuitable ground (it should be quite soft today) and I will be surprised if she doesn’t turn a very decent profit at some stage this season when she encounters her preferred going.

Of Tuesday’s runners, both

Millcove Bay

and

Best Served Cold

ran races full of future promise whilst

War Of Words

will have been a bitter disappointment.

Killiney Castle

is doing all that is required if he has ability-now qualifies for a mark that won’t be too demanding. His sire’s owners will be hoping that he gives their charge a big boost as rookie stallion Gamut needs some winning action on the track.

• Total Posts 59

Pride Of The Artic (Peter Fahey) – see 24/9/11 11:47

8th October 2011-Fairyhouse (good-yielding) 3.40pm 2m4f maiden hurdle 11-12 Mr M Fahey (5)

Was well fancied on his reappearance at Navan and ran a fine race to be third to the potentially very useful Frawley (had been off the track since third in 2010 Cheltenham bumper). The only horse to run since has been Tom Hogan’s Flycorn and this fellow collected a 2m Tipperary maiden hurdle during the week.

This horse must have decent ground and it should be in his favour today. He should have a good chance of making the frame at least and would be my idea of an ordinary each-way selection because the Meade favourite is an unknown quantity and there are a number of longer-priced opponents that have achieved higher Racing Post ratings over hurdles and in bumpers: Dingaling and Russian Regent to name two.

Rowdy Rocher (Lucinda Russell)

8th October 2011: Hexham (good) 5.40pm 2m110yds 4-6yo bumper 11-04 Mr S Fox (7)

The third foal of an unraced dam (by serious stamina-influence Roselier), his two siblings raced without any distinction. The dam is a half-sister to a 2m1f bumper winner and the unraced granddam is related to the useful hurdlers Rouble and Kopeck. Recent family history is quite sparse.

He collected a 5yo maiden at the third time of asking at Ballysteen in early May when winning by eight lengths. His rider described him as a “very nice horse” afterwards. He has joined Lucinda Russell in a private sale having been led out unsold at both Goffs and Doncaster in May.

He gets his first run in a bumper today with a strong opponent from the same yard. This is what the trainer has to say:
    “Finally we run two in the bumper. Lady Of Verona has experience and has shown talent when being placed in more competitive bumpers at Perth. Although only a four year old she has taken well to training this season. Rowdy Rocher was impressive when winning his Irish point to point and will make a good hurdler and chaser in the future (in staying hurdles and chases-my addendum).” (A clear preference for the filly from the trainer?)

This is a very poor bumper and won’t take much winning. I looked in detail at the form of all Rowdy Rocher’s point runs to look for the key to give me confidence in his chance…..but failed, with little or no form emanating from future events. It won’t surprise me in the least to see him beat his stable-companion but it’s hard to recommend getting involved beforehand given the trainer’s comments. Incidentally, his jocket, Steven Fox, has yet to ride a winner on the track.

Listen Boy (Nigel Twiston-Davies)

8th October 2011: Chepstow (good) 4-6yo 2m110yds bumper 11-00 (Sam T-Davies)

On his third points start he collected a 5yo maiden at Killmallock in April and his trainer, Denis Murphy, said: “This horse has been unfortunate up to now (slipped up and fourth) and has enjoyed no luck in running. We think he’s a right horse and while he’s for sale, we will not be throwing him away.” Carl Llewellyn paid £40,000 for him at the Brightwells Sale in May. Third home that day, Bhaltair, gives the form a nice sheen as he joined Donald McCain and has since won a bumper and two hurdles.

Pedigree-wise Listen Boy is by the brilliant Presenting and is the seventh foal out of an unraced Buckskin mare. Many of his siblings have managed to win point-to-points but only Don’t Look Bach (2005 Bach g) has managed to be placed (in two recent bumpers) on the track and Get Ready To Go (2004 Turtle Island g) was second in maiden hurdle for Neil King earlier this year.

Reported to be going well at home connections are wondering how his first appearance at the tarck will affect him. Given his previous pointing experience I would take this on trust. I can see him running very well and at a current price of 8/1 looks decent value to me.

Finally, I also posted about

Don’t Tell Sailor

on 24th September last and he ran a shocker! However there is a wholesale gamble taking place on him today, back over a trip, and you can make your own mind up if Jennie Candlish has the necessary armour to land this plot. The horse got a very strong race report from the Racing Post on it’s first start in England over 2m7f. He’s thrown in today in his first handicap off a mark of 92.

Hexham 3.55pm 4+ 3m handicap hurdle (0-100) 11-05 Alan O’Keeffe

• Total Posts 59

Posted on 22/9/11:

The day job kept me from reporting on two runners today and I feared the worst checking the results tonight.

I would have easily predicted the gamble that materialised on JP’s Micks (Trained by Christy Roche and ridden by Alan Crowe) at Fairyhouse as he was thrown in off 95 and he had promised to win on the track since his win at Leadington last January. He was bred by a friend of mine out of a nice solid mare and when JP came knocking with his cheque book they didn’t need to hold a board meeting to accept the cash! He finished only 7th at 9/2 (10’s in the morning) so we get another chance to play and possibly saved a few quid today.

Micks-2006 g Dr Massini (John Halley) 5 (Rated 86)

Second foal; dam, Ear To The Ground (1993 Roselier), bred by Mrs. Monica Aherne, dual 2m4f chase/2m6f hurdle winner for P Rothwell in 2001 from first 4 runs, including losing a Naas novice hurdle on disqualification-failed to win in 26 subsequent starts and retired to stud in 2004 season. The first foal, La Pala D’Oro (2005 Bach m), like Micks, trained by John Halley, had a recent outing in a bumper but was disappointing.

Following a nice introduction behind our old friend, Viaduct Joey,

Micks

won his point maiden on 2nd January this year on yielding ground and subsequently was bought privately by J P McManus and is now trained by Christy Roche. Four of the “also rans” subsequently won maidens and two, No No Bingo and Bar De Ligne, are showing some promise in bumpers.

Immediately after his win at Leadington it was suggested he might run in a bumper (optimistic given the Roselier granddam) but, instead, he was campaigned “quietly” in maiden hurdles and picked up an undemanding rating of 95 for his first start in a handicap hurdle last August for which he started at 16/1. As anticipated, and dropped 2lbs by the assessor, the money came for him in a 2m4f handicap at Fairyhouse (good) in September and whereas he looked to have a chance turning in he ran on at one pace and almost came down at the last. His jumping was patchy also on this occasion.

There have been plenty of winners coming from the races he has contested and the horse that finished 11L immediately behind him at Fairyhouse recently, Ta Blazes, has already won a handicap at Tramore, albeit off a mark of just 81.

26th October: Punchestown 5.00pm 2m4f handicap hurdle (80-102) 11-03 Alan Crowe (rated 93)

The early morning market is quiet and he is freely available at 14/1 today. In my experience, connections often lose their bottle when a betting coup fails first time round but having now achieved a lowly rating one might anticipate that this horse will be running on merit from here on in.

As a son of Sadler’s Wells, the Dr Massini’s seem to be adaptable ground-wise. The course survived an early morning inspection and the going will be heavy which will the first time he has encountered such conditions.

26th October 2011: Punchestown 3.55pm 2m 4+ maiden hurdle

Its The Ice I Like 2005 g Oscar (R Tyner) 11-12 P T Enright

County Wexford solicitor, John Mernagh, enjoyed a nice run with two home-bred mares (out of Miss Dunbrody) back in the early nineties when First Session (1988 Ovac m) and Kilcarbery (1990 Mandalus) were successful under rules for Willie Mullins. First Session won a bumper and maiden hurdle while Kilcarbery was a dual winner in bumpers and over hurdles that included success at Graded level. Both were retired to his stud farm.

Unfortunately for him, the better mare, Kilcarbery, appears to have failed as a broodmare but First Session has managed to breed two winners under rules and a point winner prior to

It’s the Ice I Like

winning at Ballynoe last April. The best of her progeny so far has been Jackella (2001 Accordion g) who won three staying chases for Lawney Hill in the UK in 2008/09. She also bred Gortnagros (2002 Rudimentary m) who won a valuable bumper victory at Limerick in 2009 for John J Walsh. The 2008 point winner, Real Melody (1999 Accordion g) also appears on the pedigree.

Mernagh sold our Oscar gelding as a 2yo for €17,000.

Its The Ice I Like

collected a 6&7yo maiden at Ballynoe convincingly last April and there have been subsequent point wins for the second, third and fifth. Talk of a bumper run was forthcoming from the trainer immediately afterwards but, with today’s declaration for a maiden hurdle, there has obviously been a change of heart.

Incidentally, a division of this race in 2010 produced Tom Cooper’s useful bumper/hurdle winner The Shepherd King.

With the market showing little interest in him so far he is unlikely to be a betting proposition but he is of interest for the future. Robert Tyner’s horses are running well however and he had a recent bumper winner at Tipperary.

Also due to line up in this maiden hurdle is:

Definite Knockoff-2006 g Definite Article (Sean Thomas Doyle) 11-12 S W Jackson

A fifth (living) foal (and the first to make it to the races) he cost current connections just €6,000 in 2009 at the Landrover. Having won a his point maiden on his second start last October however, he was withdrawn from the Brightwells Sale that November. Out of an unraced Aristocracy dam who is a half-sister to five winners of thirty four races-a very prolific winning family with plenty of stamina.

When he won his maiden as a 4yo his trainer stated: “He’s a really good four-year-old, we bought him in Goffs. He had one run for us last season and he’s really strengthened up this year. He’ll go to the Brightwells sale in November.”

The second and fouth won maiden points with The baler winning a hunter chase and Kilrush (5th) running well when second in a modest hurdle at Downpatrick.

Definite Knockoff

had one previous start at Punchestown over hurdles (2m y/s) and finished a poor enough 76L 14th/24 at 33/1 (never a factor). I expect him to improve over time. The trainer runs few enough on the track but Get in There won two hurdles for him earlier this year having been placed second in a point and successfully handicapped over hurdles. She won first off 83 and is now rated 101 so we can conclude the trainer knows his onions!

• Total Posts 59

Our Girl Lucy-2006 m Flemensfirth (Tom Cooper)

27th October 2011: Clonmel (soft) 2.15pm 2m4f 4+ mares’ maiden hurdle 10-13 Brian Cooper

Cost €6,200 as a (third) foal and is full-sister to Crude (2005 g) who cost Gigginstown €155,000 as a 3yo. He was placed in three points for Derek Pugh before joining Dessie Hughes for whom he was third in a hurdle and three chases. He was since sold on for €27,000. The dam (by Rakaposhi King) was useless in bumpers and hurdles for Robert Alner but she was a sibling to three good racehorses in Planet Of Sound (six-time winner for P Hobbs including 2010 3m1f Guinness Gold cup at Punchestown in 2010) , From Dawn To Dusk (nine-time winner including listed 2010 3m1f John Smith Handicap Chase at Aintree for P Hobbs) and Three Scholars {full-sister} (dual 2m bumper and 2m hurdle winner for W Mullins-6th in 1997 Supreme Novices’ Hurdle).

Our Girl Lucy

ran five times (placed thrice) before collecting a mares’ maiden (good)(second won a maiden this autumn but was also 4th in a Cork P2P mares’ bumper last April for which “Lucy” started favourite) and a mares’ winners’ event “comfortably” (nothing of note behind) on soft-heavy earlier this year. Cooper suggested in the aftermath of the maiden win: "This mare would prefer more of an ease in the ground and she’s one that wants a trip and we will probably go for a hurdle with her now.”

She has had two track runs since: was a 9L 3rd in the Cork mares’ P2P bumper (good) run last April and, on her first spin over hurdles (and against geldings) she was beaten 40L into 8th place at 10/1 at Punchestown (y/s) two weeks ago. She missed an engagement at Galway last weekend due to the heavy ground.

The bumper run looked a nice performance and the form of the race has been franked by the second (won and placed in hurdles), 5th (2nd in Tipp mares’ bumper) and even the 10th and 11th home have been placed over hurdles and fences respectively.

She never got competitive in the recent maiden hurdle but, perhaps significantly, she was the first mare home that day.

It is not too difficult to imagine she will be fancied today and that she is likely to run very well. Presumably, the ground cannot be too soft for her.

Carrigeen Lechuga

was running a pleasing fencing debut when seeming to land steeply over the last and crumpled on landing. Her jockey is definitely a slight concern and the horse did not appear too fluent in its early strides with the jockey looking a little awkward. Perhaps both horse and rider slowly warmed to their task and, to my eyes, she was steadily closing on the two leaders all the way up the straight and I think she could have been placed. There was no market confidence in her whatsoever and this is how it should be!

Beforehand, Dick Lalor was quoted to say he was unsure about the 2m4f trip given that she had only ever raced over 3 miles beforehand. The really heavy going was also a concern to him.

"That is very, very hard ground to race on or to jump out of. The fences are fine but when you’re going a foot deep into the ground it’s hard to get over them”, according to the winning jockey of the race. All in all, a very satisfactory run and I hope she is none the worse for her fall. The head-on camera seemed to suggest she was quickly on her feet again.

As ever in handicaps,

Micks

ran into an improving well-handicapped rejuvenator. He stayed on steadily for second at 8/1 (some interest in him from 10’s) and his day cannot be too far away now. A morning price of 14/1 for each-way money was generous. Some interference before the straight didn’t help his chances.

Its The Ice I Like

and

Definite Knockoff

finished 12th and 13th and ran as I hoped/expected and we can look forward to potential handicap forays in time. I always look for some encouragement in at least one maiden hurdle whereby a horse might be tested at a certain stage and I will monitor for that with both of these. I’ll offer a hostage to fortune by suggesting that

Its The Ice I Like

that put up the more interesting performance.

• Total Posts 59

Handsome Harry-2006 g Broadway Flyer (Kim Bailey)

28th October 2011: Uttoxeter (gd-fm) 5.30pm 4-6yo 2m bumper 11-04 E Cookson (7)

Kim Bailey bought this fellow, a winner of a Maralin maiden in April, for £14,000 at Brightwells in May but two weeks later gave £16,000 to buy his stable companion who was beaten 14L into third in the same race! It’s curious that his then trainer, Graham McKeever, made much of the fact of the original owner sending him the horse because he cost just €1,500 at the Tattersall August sale in 2009.

Very unusually for a point-to-point 5yo maiden not a single one of the previous five winners of this race raced with any success on the track and it does suggest I may be wasting my time wiv ‘Arry. Furthermore nothing from the 2010 race helps boost the prospects of the winner’s hidden potential.

He is the second foal (Norwich half-brother never ran) of a Eurobus mare who was hopeless for Sue Bradburne and the only saving grace for the pedigree is the dam’s half-brother, Myson (1999 Accordion g), who won two lowly handicap chases in the UK in 2005 over 20f & 21f.

So far so bad!

Tomorrow marks his debut for new connections in the UK and he is of very small interest at this stage.

Hunters Lodge-2006 g Subtle Power (N Twiston-Davies)

28th October 2011: Uttoxeter 2.00pm 4yo+ 2m4f110yds novices’ hurdle 10-12 (S Twiston-Davies)

He returned a huge dividend on his lowly cost of €2,100 when bought as a 4yo at the Tattsersalls August 2010 sale. Following his maiden win at Ballyragget, Co. Kilkenny in March this year he was bought to go into training with NTD for £36,000.

He’s the fifth foal of a Be My Native mare and the best sibling to date has been the modest Piercetown Rocket (2003 Rock Hopper g) who won two points and was third at Fairyhouse in a hunter chase for Paul Martin Pierce. Two others raced on the track without success. The dam was well beaten in three track starts but is a half-sister to Camden Venture (1993 Camden Town g) who won two bumpers, four hurdles and a chase for Seamus Fahey and was best suited to 2m4f on soft ground. The grandam is a sister to Troytown Chase winner Bold Agent.

He impressed onlookers when winning his maiden (“he gave a great feel and jumped queer well”!!) I cannot find too much to enthuse about over those that ran behind other than the 4th & 7th-placed horses have won their maidens since.
    This race produced track performers Cullahill (6 wins) and Herecomesthetruth (8 wins) in 2007 but of the four winners since 2008 only Traffic Control (placed in a hurdle and chases) and the “bridesmaid” Fairwood Massini (second four times) have threatened the judge.

He is definitely fancied to today and is already the best backed horse in the race around the 3/1-7/2 mark. Twiston-Davies won with a hurdling debutant yesterday which adds to confidence in his chance.

See What Happens-2006 g Tikkanen (M Todhunter)

28th October 2011: Wetherby 2.10pm 4yo+ 2m4f novices’ hurdle 10-12 J Reveley

Ninth foal; half-brother to several winners including Kim Fontenail (2 wins-2m3f hurdle/chase), Honneur Fontenail (2 wins-modest 2m6f/2m7f chase), Soeur Fontenail (5 wins-fair 2m1f-2m4f hurdle/chase) and Oursininlaw (2 wins-2m6f/2m7f hurdle); the dam was a French maiden jumper. Interesting that Nigel Hawke trained the first three winners mentioned above.

See What Happens

was the very impressive winner of a Castletown-Geoghegan maiden on 3rd April last for trainer Jerry Cosgrave and his owner/breeder. The plan was to run in a bumper but a private sale was negotiated to allow him join Martin Todhunter. One of today’s other debutants, Handsome Harry, ran a promising 4th in this race before going on to win his maiden. An interesting horse to take from this race in Co. Westmeath was Admiral Barton who pulled up. Winner of his next start at Loughanore he subsequently made £50,000 at sale and is now with Chris Grant.

Last year’s running of this race featured two divisions won by Lord Redsgirth (second in two hurdles for G Elliott) and Upthemsteps (winner of two hurdles for Ian Williams).

Trainer is 4 from 61 this season with his last winner on 30th September.

He is also attracting significant support this morning around the 6/1-7/1 mark and, at this price, looks a decent each-way investment.

Our Girl Lucy

was absolutely friendless in the on-course market yesterday and, although she travelled well enough to about 2f from home, her jockey definitely gave her an easy enough time of it once she was passed by other horses. This treatment would compare with the fairly frequent slaps she received from Mikey O’Commor when favourite for her bumper three starts ago.

I rate Tom Cooper ighly as a trainer so, for the moment, I will retian my interest until we get a serious "going day". It may well be over an extreme distance on heavy going based on family history.

I have my eye on a national hunt horse running on the flat later today and my instinct is telling me that he will the subject of a gamble, if not today, then very soon. I hope to write about his chances later today, time permitting.

• Total Posts 59

What a challenging, exhilarating, unpredictable, frustrating and, occasionally, soul-destroying, game this is!

1. Twiston-Davies pulled

Hunters Lodge

out of the staying novices’ hurdle after sustained support all morning. This is how they introduced the horse on their website yesterday: “Hunters Lodge makes his racecourse debut over hurdles having won a point to point in Ireland on his second outing. He shows a lot of promise and has worked well in preparation for this outing. Both point outings were over 3m so today’s trip should be fine and with the good ground also likely to suit, a good run can be expected, with high hopes of at least a place.” I presume many more punters will take an interest in him from now on.
    2. For me, I had a substantial each-way bet on Martin Todhunter’s

See What Happens

in the novices’ hurdle at Wetherby. I stopped off en-route to a business meeting to watch the race in an unfamiliar “Paddy Power’s” and left a bellow out of me as he jumped the second last galloping all over Sue Smith’s Crafti Bookie and well clear of the remainder. Having jumped the last in the lead he was collared up the run-in to finish a very promising second but, for the life of me, I still can’t figure out how he was beaten.

‘Ansome ‘Arry

: would you believe it? Turns out to be the gamble of the day in Uttoxeter’s bumper being supported on course from 14’s all the way down to 5/1. My glance at betting patterns earlier in the morning suggested erratic support-small money for him around 20’s and being similarly supported and drifting (for small money) simultaneously. He didn’t land the touch, finishing 5th of 18, beaten 18L, but it was a race of some promise and, one can argue, there can (occasionally) be a case against previous trends and history as the point winner will not know a) what he has beaten b) who his mother is and, c) the recent history of the particular maiden. Tools of reference but no rigidity in application.
    4. I had promised to try to post my fourth horse yesterday but, alas, my day ran away with me until after 9pm. I have noted winning pointers in the past managing to win subsequently on the flat (Ionisphere and Run With The Wind to name but two) and I was interested in Niall Madden’s

Shake The Bucket

making his handicap debut off a lowly mark off 60 in an 11f Dundalk handicap. His three runs to get a mark over longer trips had him firmly on my radar, especially as on his day he is a fair enough hurdler and bumper performer. As I email these bulletins to some friends I refuse to nominate horses unless I have the research covered off first and such was the case yesterday. Suffice to say that he won at 18/1 and I was temporarily suicidal when I saw the result. If I was rock-star I would have booked a hotel room and promptly thrashed it!

In summary, I won a pittance yesterday relative to the opportunity available and I will have to re-assess my strategy (and time availability) because I don’t need to suffer again like last night when checking results.

Five runners today with the first runner after 4.00pm-update later.

• Total Posts 59

Barrakilla-2007 g Milan (Evan Williams)

29th October 2011 Ascot 5.25pm 2m 4-6yo bumper 11-00 Paul Moloney

This horse has a nice recent pedigree. He is the ninth foal of a Torus mare who was unplaced in two bumper starts in 1995 for Willie Mullins. None of her siblings managed to win but she is out of a half-sister to the excellent chaser Zongalero (second in a National).

Barrakilla

is a half-brother to two winners: China Rock (2003 Presenting g) trained by Mouse Morris who has won 5 races including two graded chases over 20f-23f and River Pirate (1997 Un Desperado g) won won 4 races over the minimum trip for Nicky Henderson.

You might expect the first 4yo maiden of the season to be a competitive affair but this has not proven to be the case.

Barrakilla

, trained by Kevin O’Sullivan, proved to be an impressive winner, but no subsequent winner has emerged from the race with our notebook horse Cyprusormilan (4th) likely to prove best of the vanquished-he’s had a reasonably promising first strat in a Galway maiden hurdle in which he finished 6th. However these maidens are usually all about the winner and Barrakilla fetched £100,000 when sold at Doncaster in March and is now with Evan Williams.

Every winner since 2007 has won on the track and last year’s victor, Four Commanders-Mouse Morris) looks as if he might be quite good.

Evan Williams said of him recently: “He won his point-to-point in Ireland despite being green and backward. He has surprised me how well he has worked recently and has come to hand faster than I had thought. I have entered him for Cheltenham this weekend and if they get a drop of rain beforehand he could well go there. That said, he is still a work in progress and we won’t be rushing him this year.”

He is steady in the market so far at around the 6/1 mark and is an each-way temptation.

Benefficient-2006 g Beneficial (Tony Martin)

29th October 2011 Naas 5.00pm 4-7yo 2m3f bumper 12-00 Mr S J Craig (7)

First foal; dam (2001 Supreme Leader mare) unraced half-sister to 2m and 2m4f hurdle winner Asklynn (John Fowler), fairly useful 2m-2m4f hurdle/chase winner Silent Creek (C Roche) and bumper/useful 2m-2m4f hurdle/chase winner Ask The Butler (C Roche & M Pipe) and two other winners. Prolific family.

An eye-catching third on his debut to the oft-mentioned Viaduct Joey this horse then went on to win a Carberry (Co. Cork) in late February (yielding-soft) without coming off the bridle. This looks a good race as the second horse, Forgotten Gold (recently noted here), has been second in a bumper and maiden hurdle and a faller, Catch Tammy, has had a brilliant first track run in finishing second in a Cheltenham bumper. Form lines that strengthen the case for Benefficient.

His then trainer, Debbie Hartnett, sent him to contest a 2m Cork bumper (yielding) in March where he finished 4L third behind surprise winner Maple Lady. He was subsequently sent to Tattersalls and made €52,000 to the bid of Tony Martin.

A review of this run finds plenty of talent amongst the participants with the second and fourth running placed in bumpers and maiden hurdles and the seventh, Andunowhat-a horse I mentioned in favourable terms here some weeks back- won a Punchestown bumper. He received a Racing Post rating of just 105 for this run so has to improve to be ultra competitive today.

He is quiet in the morning market which is usually significant given his trainer. The extra 3f will help and the heavy ground should also be no hindrance. Impossible to know at this stage if he is “off”.

There is major confidence behind Elliott’s Don Cossack in this race today.

The similarities between this next horse and

Benefficient

are uncanny: same age, same sire, won only point start impressively, placed in only bumper start, ridden today by 7lb claimer, first foal of unraced dam whose siblings were winners-hardly likely to dead-heat?

Mount Colah

however has the better pedigree and, in my opinion, the better form in the book allied to a higher RP rating-116 versus 105.

Mount Colah-2006 g Beneficial (Jerry Cosgrave)

29th October 2011 Naas 5.00pm 4-7yo 2m3f bumper 12-00 Mr N McParlan (7)

Another contestant in today’s Naas bumper who won his only point start impressively (10L) and has also been placed once in his only bumper run-this time at Punchestown. The point maiden was a weak race with only one subsequent maiden winner to appear.

First foal; dam unraced half-sister to bumper/smart 2m-2m4f hurdle/high-class chaser (Champion Chase) winner Newmill (Thomas O’Leary) and bumper/2m and 2m1f hurdle winner Mudslinger (Paul Nolan), family of The Dikler.

Mount Colah

ran second in a bumper just 16 days ago and this is the RP take on it:

Runner-up

Mount Colah

came into this race having been an easy winner of his sole point-to-point last spring and transferred that ability here. Always close to the pace, his rider never let him relinquish the inside rail and he had that advantage when a number of challengers came at him over the last furlong or so. He only lost out in a head bob to the winner and a reproduction of this effort will lead to him winning a bumper. He probably doesn´t want the ground too soft.

I would question the assertion about probable ground preference as most of Beneficial’s top progeny have revelled in soft and heavy conditions.

I would not be too afraid of Elliott’s horse although with Martin’s apparently unfancied it is a hard call to make. At least the Cosgrave horse will be trying and appeals at an each-way price once again.

The bumper also features Colin Bowe’s Tango Moll and I would like to see her run well without (obviously) winning.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.