The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mystery caller

Home Forums Horse Racing Mystery caller

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

How do,

I’ve PMd one or two people on this already but thought I’d throw it open further afield as well; does anyone know who was doing the commentary for ATR / Racetech at Towcester on Sunday, please?

It was definitely nobody who’s been present on the roster for the last few years, if ever – sounded a bit like Lee McKenzie but a tad deeper in voice. Apart from hitting the high notes a bit too early in the novices’ handicap chase (partly down to the pile-up two out, I suspect), my impression from watching and listening to the replays was that he didn’t do too much wrong all afternoon.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

jonny1ph
    • Total Posts 44

Luke Harvey said Lee Mottershead did at least one race. I think Matt Chapman did a couple as well.

I thought it was quite refreshing to hear a different voice and some interesting new phrases such as ‘the fav is under the shove’ and ‘ if was having a bet now I would back’ great stuff.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

I thought it sounded like Mottershead on one of the races,calling Dom Elsworth a ‘cocky jockey’ as he steered Jam Packed to victory.<br>Chaparse was typically hysterical as the fav jumped the last clear in the race he called.<br>Dunno who the robot was who did most of the other races but it almost made u wish for Thommo and GG so bad it was.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

Mottershead did some but the guy who did Fill The Bunker’s race had a horrible grating voice, nearly as bad as Andy Orkney’s. Chapman’s efforts were littered with errors, failed to say what happened to Benefit Fund and Najca De Thaix and got the last race winner mixed up with Hardybuck amongst many.<br>At least With John Hickman being the missing commentator we didn’t lose out too much.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from jonny1ph on 10:31 am on Oct. 24, 2006[br]I thought it was quite refreshing to hear … some interesting new phrases such as … ‘ if was having a bet now I would back’

I’d say the on-course bookies loved that!

Leemac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

Not me, as you thought, Jeremy! Colin Roberts (Raceform and Racing Post race-reader) and Lee Mottershead (Racing Post reporter and ATR presenter) alternated throughout the afternoon on course and on ATR Extra, while Matt Chapman did the honours on ATR’s main service. Hope that helps…<br>Lee McKenzie

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Welcome to the forum, Lee!!:cool:

Colin

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I must say Colin Roberts is a new one on me. Welcome to TRF Lee.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Blimey, straight from the horse’s mouth! Very good to have you on the site, sir – I’m sure there’s a few people on here who’d like to ask you about the finer points of commentating, if you’re amenable to that.

And where and when is the real you calling again? :) <br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Leemac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

Good to be with you guys, thanks for the welcome Seabird… have been an undercover reader of the excellent TRF for years! Rory – I don’t know the circumstances (and wouldn’t be allowed to comment even if I did), but I suspect Colin volunteered to help out, so full marks to him, same for Lee Mott and Matt. Am out again at Newmarket on Saturday Jeremy, happy to answer any points as long as they’re not too abusive!!!

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

Welcome Lee, how long have you been commentating? It must be getting on for 20 years, you don’t look old enough.<br>I would have thought the Radio 5 commentating job was a good one, was it a case of job satisfaction that made you leave?

Leemac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

Many thanks Yeats, but maybe I don’t look quite as youthful close up! I did my first day for BBC radio at Newmarket in 1981, and my first for Racecourse Technical Services (the former name of Racetech) at Nottingham in 1984. Yes, the Five Live job was a great one, but about a third of my work has always been outside racing and my current schedule makes it easier to fit everything in, including other work I do for the BBC. Besides, the Racetech commentaries are now broadcast all over the world – I turned on the TV set in a hotel in Cape Town earlier this year, and heard Simon Holt commentating at Folkestone!

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

Thanks Lee, did you complain to the hotel manager?:biggrin: <br>Only joking, he’s great Simon.<br>I’m in the north but was flicking through the sky channels a few weeks ago and saw you presenting some sport on one of the local BBC regions down south, think it may have been Southampton or Brighton.

Leemac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

Yes, BBC TV South in Southampton… I’ve always worked for several different companies – in fact, while I’m chatting on here, I’m also writing the Raceform Notebook from Lingfield on Monday. Look out for Jaady (promising debut despite being green, good enough to win a routine maiden), Espartano (touch of class, should win over 6f on Polytrack), and My Princess (can improve on yesterday’s performance). More in Raceform Update and online. Sweet dreams – of them all winning next time, look forward to joining TRF again soon!

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

I always understood that the reason you left BBC radio was because you were fed up with having to work with a pair of idiots like Lysaght and Harvey.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.