The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Musselburgh plans rejected

Home Forums Horse Racing Musselburgh plans rejected

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

The plans to build a floodlit AW track at Musselburgh have been rejected by the Scottish Executive. A sensible decision IMO.

The prospect of mediocre racing during the evenings in the middle of winter with a handful of punters adds nothing to the sport. The bookmakers will need to line up more cartoon racing to compensate.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

1 – they will reconsider and change their minds
    2 – some other track will take the extra business
    3- eventually they will install aw or else fade away

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

what are the plans for Musselburgh now will they upgrade or just stay as they are? What reasons were given for rejecting it?

Kebab
    • Total Posts 24

It was rejected because dog racing in the Edinburgh region (Powderhall, Wallyford) has already proved to be a failure, and the executive didn’t see the point of trying to re-introduce this shite.

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

There is a need for an AW track in the North

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

I think they would have struggled to get more than a handful of punters through the turnstiles and the whole thing was clearly designed to provide betting-shop fodder. Musselburgh is a nice wee course and hopefully they can now re-focus and continue with the good work that has gone on there in the last ten years or so.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

No wish to get embroiled in the pro/anti AW debate…but this news can be regarded as welcome for those like me who were concerned how a ‘winter’ AW ttrack would affect the long term security of their NH meetings. Run-of-the-mill racing it maybe but when the ground elsewhere is hock-deep or frozen, chances are it will be half-decent or frost free at Musselburgh.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

Unfortunately if the weather continues to be excessively wet in years to come more courses will try for AW to avoid the losses of cancelling fixtures this was Sedgefield’s reason for considering an AW track. But as Southwell proves it don’t always work

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Glad to hear this. I don’t see any benefit in having a meeting at Musselburgh every week. The way it works currently befits the popularity of the track with race-goers IMO.

It also gives the bookies a bit less reason to open at night, cuts down that AW donkey racing and allows me to have the odd (albeit predictable) jumps card close to home, but they’re merely selfish reasons! :mrgreen:

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

I love the all weather as it keeps me interested in racing throughout the winter months and I’m also a fan of the polytrack surface but I think the correct decision was taken on Musselburgh.

I’d like to see the AW tracks stick to the winter months though.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Hurrah for that .. the Kempton of the north, I think not !!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4724

I’ve no problem with an All-Weather track in the North, or in Scotland in particular, but Musselburgh was never going to be the place to put it. The track and floodlights would have mucked up what is an historic and very pleasant sports ground.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

southwell hasn’t been proved it doesn’t work any more than worcester has proved turf tracks don’t work

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

i think also newbury has given up its all weather plans :D

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

southwell hasn’t been proved it doesn’t work any more than worcester has proved turf tracks don’t work

If thats the case why is Southwell been closed for the last month and will stay closed until november all weather doesnt mean all weather snow fog rain and strong winds can stop all weather racing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.