The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Musselburgh – Dec 5th

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Musselburgh – Dec 5th

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4568

Musselburgh had no problem with the weather overnight, the temperatures only just hit freezing and there was no snow. I’ll be well wrapped up on course though as it’s bitter weather despite the sun.

Not a meeting to get over-excited about from a quality point of view and stakes will be on the low side.

On the face this contest looks between in-form types Gavroche Gaugain and Soprano. However, I give a bit of a chance to HURRICANE JACK who should be suited by the conditions here.

ANNA’S ARCH was fourth in a decent looknig novice event at Carlisle last time, and this double bumper winner should have enough ability to hold off what looks an ordinary bunch of maidens. Demolition might prove best of the newcomers, but Anna’s Arch has experience over hurdles.

A moderate staying handicap hurdle with a lot of exposed sorts. VALLANI goes well around Musselburgh, stays well and should be in the mix.

I’m not at all convinced by the credentials of likely favourite Royal Mile here. He doesn’t appear to be putting it all in, and things would need to fall for him. My ‘one from left field’ alternative is RED TANBER who has shown at least a littel bit of get up and go. He jumped competently round Carlisle last time, if well held by decent opponents, and has sound assistance from the saddle in Lucy Alexander.

Rob

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

In the 2.20, Chester Lad can only improve for his seasonal debut and the step up in trip, and the more positive tactics employed by his new connections augur well for his chances today.
    Won’t get rich backing him at the current 5/2, but, for a quiet December Monday, he does look a decent bet.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4568

Not a bad day from my point of view. Hurricane Jack settled nicely in front and didn’t look in much trouble from 4 out to win at 3/1.

Red Tanber jumped well and had the race in safe keeping from two out at 13/2. Royal Mile looked to be travelling well but weakened quickly and presumably had a physical problem.

Vallani ran a sound race but found one too good in Any Given Moment. Nice to see Sandy Thomson landing a winner though, as I often see him nervously pacing up and down the stand during races!

Anna’s Arch was one paced in the straight. It was double take time with the winner Kealigolane, as this one showed a fair turn of pace from two out. I had a quick word with course commentator Richard Hoiles after this race, and he did the same double take as me when this one came clear!

Chester Lad went well enough on the flat, but he made a hash of a number of hurdles and didn’t have anything in reserve once headed. The winner Gordonsville might stay in front of the handicapper given that’s he’s a hold up type. He was produced to lead in the last 100 yards and has ability in advance of that which the distances suggest.

Rob

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Went along today and enjoyed it. Hurricane Jack and Alsahil were a good start but Fairynuff was hard to stomach lol. Few losers chucked in aside from these but enjoyable. Got bitter cold though, had to give the bumper a miss lol!

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4568

Doug

I did stick it out for the bumper. A few nice ‘long term project’ types in there, and the winner Rendl Beach came clear quite nicely for one who is essentially a jumping type.

Rob

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

You must be a hardier racegoer than me Rob! I did watch the racing replays – very impressive winner of that bumper. Not sure if it was a great race though. It was a decent card for a random monday in December though and Gordonsville looks pretty useful as a hurdler.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.